June 2016 Moms

F-U "maternity leave"

TunieBeeTunieBee member
edited November 2015 in June 2016 Moms

I know there have already been discussions on this, but they were awhile ago...

I just found out I literally have ZERO maternity leave. I'm a nurse practitioner in a very large medical practice (hundreds of employees and over 200 doctors/NPs/PA) and apparently I do not qualify for FMLA because I only work part-time. My company offers NO maternity leave outside of FMLA. I was instructed by HR to come to an agreement with my fellow physician about my maternity leave. Luckily, she is a woman with two children and very reasonable. She was also fairly taken aback by this. We agreed I will take 12 weeks and we can reassess whether I need more or less. Per my company's non-policy this will all be without pay. Ughhhhh.

Thanks for anyone who read that whole rant. I understand my situation is not unique and many people have it even worse than I do, at least I am allowed to take off the time I feel I need.

ETA: I now realize this should probably go in the Bitchfest Monday thread. Apologies.

Re: F-U "maternity leave"

• You may be eligible for short term disability. Check your state government website.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Corts said:
    You may be eligible for short term disability. Check your state government website.

Definitely do this.

And I'm so sorry. My maternity leave situation blows also. It's such a shame.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! I just sent an email to HR, it is our open enrollment time so perhaps I can sign up for short-term disability. Is it likely they will let me given that I am already pregnant?

• TunieBee said:
    Thanks, ladies! I just sent an email to HR, it is our open enrollment time so perhaps I can sign up for short-term disability. Is it likely they will let me given that I am already pregnant?
    If you are eligible, yes you can enroll in short term disability while pregnant.  It's all the payment most companies offer for their "paid maternity leave".  Yes, that is my short term disability.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• My company's short term disability coverage requires you to be covered for 180 days prior to a pregnancy to use it as "maternity leave", which is terrible because accidents happen and getting pregnant on purpose can't be 100% timed either. I also live in Texas where they give ZERO EFF's about women, their reproduction or careers, so going through the state isn't an option here.

'MERICA!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh, the icing on the cake, even though we will "make an agreement", my job is not secured, they could let me go and hire someone else...While I have confidence I am an asset to my company and this wouldn't happen, isn't that a lovely thing to add to the worry list along with a pregnancy, recovery and new baby?

• Ugh.  If only I could work from home... Maybe I could see my patients via Skype? Or not...

• I hear you and sympathize. I'm a PhD candidate and only teach PT. I am lucky enough to have my due date after classes are done and then I'll just not apply for work, de facto giving me unpaid time off. Would probably have had to forfeit the last semester of my contract if my due date was sooner. Really sucks. Solidarity to everyone in precarious/insecure work environments.
  • Short term disability is different in every state. Here in CA, my policy for teachers (hubby sold it me lol) will kick in as long as it starts before a doctor confirms my pregnancy. So if you can get one and it kicks in January 1, it wouldn't apply unless a doctor confirmed your pregnancy January 2 or later. Go jump on it today and find out what you can!
  • Ugh that sucks. The US has such crap for maternity leave. I want to move to Canada!
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
  • TunieBee said:
    Ugh.  If only I could work from home... Maybe I could see my patients via Skype? Or not...

Telemedicine! It's a real thing. Convince them you're being a technological pioneer. :)
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You aren't alone! I get 12 weeks unpaid only bc my boss is okay with it. I didn't sign up for short term disability since we had been trying for 3 months. It would have been more money out of the paycheck that I would never have been able to get back since I would have had a baby in less than 9 months. If we didn't become pregnant in September it would have made sense to sign up, but I had a feeling that it would have been useless. Which now I know it would have been.
  • I can't believe I have one of the better policies because I thought our 6 weeks paid was kind of crap!
  • I have a good one too, but it's only because I've been paying $100 every month for the last year on my teaching salary. But I'll get 80 percent of my pay, so I'll be happy soon enough.
  • My companies is a joke too. I have to use up all the pto I earn throughout the year then have to take short term disability. Since when is being pregnant a disability??
  • I'm in the same boat, to make things better, I am due 4 weeks before my 1 year anniversary with the company.
  • I would definitely check about short-term disability requirements, because at my work they did a blood and urine test before I qualified and I know I wouldn't have qualified if I was pregnant at the time. Good luck!
  • @TunieBee I'm sorry, that really sucks. I have only short-term disability for a couple weeks and then unpaid and DH has not a single day, so I'm pretty upset about it, too. I'm glad you posted. This is archaic. It's absolutely ridiculous that a nurse practitioner in a large hospital shouldn't have a generous parental leave policy. I can't change it for you immediately (def working on it with advocation and voting!) just share my sympathy. :/
  • My company's short term disability coverage requires you to be covered for 180 days prior to a pregnancy to use it as "maternity leave", which is terrible because accidents happen and getting pregnant on purpose can't be 100% timed either. I also live in Texas where they give ZERO EFF's about women, their reproduction or careers, so going through the state isn't an option here. 'MERICA!
    Yes, I had my first baby in Texas and I believe it was the same for my short term disability, too.  I was so glad I had signed up for it in advance.  You definitely don't qualify if already pregnant.  Jerks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so sorry you're all dealing with such crap. With all the advances made in the US, you'd think we wouldn't be almost dead last (behind freaking third world countries) in maternity leave. It's ridiculous.
  • I'm so sorry you're all dealing with such crap. With all the advances made in the US, you'd think we wouldn't be almost dead last (behind freaking third world countries) in maternity leave. It's ridiculous.

I'm curious which third world countries have better maternity leave policies than the US and what the actual employment rate for women in those countries is? I'm no fan of the maternity leave options in the US but it seems a stretch to be comparing us to third world countries, some of which don't even educate girls much less pay women to have children.
  • Thank you for posting that, @Bear14+! I was looking for the graphic.
  • I laugh when I hear FMLA referred to as maternity leave. It's such a joke. Some states have a policy that part time employees are entitled to PTO now, you'd think that with that it would also include FMLA. It's great that your boss is willing to let you take 12 weeks and still hold your position!

I'm in a position where I'll get 12 weeks and I telecommute so I have more flexibility with keeping a baby at home. Unfortunately I don't qualify for short term disability or get any pay those 12 weeks. I'll take what I can get, though.
  • I can't believe I have one of the better policies because I thought our 6 weeks paid was kind of crap!

Are you eligible for more afterwards, unpaid?
  • My companies is a joke too. I have to use up all the pto I earn throughout the year then have to take short term disability. Since when is being pregnant a disability??
  • I'm a bartender. I make good money but I have ZERO paid maternity. I will only be able to afford maybe a month off with my baby. Luckily my mom only works weekends so I will have a free full time nanny I trust!
  • I work for a not to be named nonprofit that advocates that all pregnant women get 12 weeks paid maternity leave. Guess how many we are guaranteed as staff? 6!!!! Granted I can use my banked sick and vacation time for the other other 6 and since I've been there 10+ years, I will have no issues this pregnancy. However women who haven't banked the sick time because they've had to use to it to take care of sick kids or they used it for their last pregnancy are screwed.

I'm lucky and I'm not complaining, but the hypocrisy is appalling. It was brought to our CEOs attention and the response was "we have a very generous family leave policy". Do as I say not as I do, I guess.
  • Can someone explain how the short term disability works? I haven't told my enployer yet but I work for a small startup and am one of 2 women on a team of 8. There are no maternity leave practices in place, I'll be the first one and the first time they'll even think of this. When I do tell them I want to come in with a plan.
  • @chloe97 o.0 oh that is boooold. Smh
  • lshamah said:
    Can someone explain how the short term disability works? I haven't told my enployer yet but I work for a small startup and am one of 2 women on a team of 8. There are no maternity leave practices in place, I'll be the first one and the first time they'll even think of this. When I do tell them I want to come in with a plan.
    Short term disability is an insurance plan where anyone who is sick for an extended period of time, has surgery, or any other medical issue that will cause you to miss work for an extended time can get paid. Usually recovery from birth is included as well. Every company is different though. My company has it as an automatic benefit for all full time employees. I don't have to pay anything for it. It covers birth mothers for at least 6-8 weeks (depending on if it's a vaginal or c section). I'll get paid 100% salary. 

Other companies may have you opt in to it, like any other benefit. Some don't pay 100%, it could b 80% or 60%. You really have to talk to your HR department or whoever does your benefits to see if it's an included benefit or not. 

I realize I'm very lucky. In addition to the 6-8 weeks short term disability, my company gives any new parent (male or female) an extra 3 weeks paid time off. So that takes me up to 9-11 weeks. Then I can use unpaid time or vacation for the rest. I'm planning to take 12 weeks.

• lshamah said:

Can someone explain how the short term disability works? I haven't told my enployer yet but I work for a small startup and am one of 2 women on a team of 8. There are no maternity leave practices in place, I'll be the first one and the first time they'll even think of this. When I do tell them I want to come in with a plan.

Short term disability is an insurance plan where anyone who is sick for an extended period of time, has surgery, or any other medical issue that will cause you to miss work for an extended time can get paid. Usually recovery from birth is included as well. Every company is different though. My company has it as an automatic benefit for all full time employees. I don't have to pay anything for it. It covers birth mothers for at least 6-8 weeks (depending on if it's a vaginal or c section). I'll get paid 100% salary. 

Other companies may have you opt in to it, like any other benefit. Some don't pay 100%, it could b 80% or 60%. You really have to talk to your HR department or whoever does your benefits to see if it's an included benefit or not. 

I realize I'm very lucky. In addition to the 6-8 weeks short term disability, my company gives any new parent (male or female) an extra 3 weeks paid time off. So that takes me up to 9-11 weeks. Then I can use unpaid time or vacation for the rest. I'm planning to take 12 weeks.

Mine was an opt-in, paid on top of my regular insurance. But it will be worth it now. It also comes from a company endorsed by my employer and it comes out of my paycheck. You will have to check that the employer and short term disability people will work together- mine does not accept Aflac and a few people have been screwed over because of that.
  • I can't even imagine what you ladies go through, your whole families really. It's apalling that in 2015 there is not more family friendly social policies in the US :(

In Canada, unions were instrumental in fighting for our leave...somehow that change needs to happen for you all soon.
  • My company is too small for FMLA but they offered 12 weeks unpaid with my last and 12 weeks unpaid with this one. Although I could tell they were upset I was pregnant again so soon (this time last year I was on maternity leave).

It's awful though because we're a tech company that help businesses setup telecommutes for their employees, but they won't let me work from home. All the males in the company can (and one female) but not my department.

I couldn't nurse with my first either because they wanted all my pumping time to be unpaid and to make it up that same day. With a two hour commute for the day and a 9 hour shift, adding on an extra hour or so is a recipe for disaster. I plan to go on leave and never return there.

Same! I get 4 weeks paid (if I have the sick days) and then I can use FMLA for 12 weeks inpaid. That's why I was so anal about planning this baby so I can use the summer too. I will get 6 months home with LO, but only 4 weeks are paid.

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • We get 8 weeks paid and can take an additional 4 unpaid under FMLA...but during those 8 weeks they concurrently take any of your sick and vacation time. So essentially I will be using my 8 weeks of accrued sick leave as my maternity leave and then when I come back I will have absolutely 0 available time off! YAY!

Are you eligible for more afterwards, unpaid?
    Up to 6 months unpaid with consent from my boss. She said she'll gladly do 3 and reevaluate, possibly working part time from home for the other 3 months. I also am in academia on stipend pay with no official PTO days from the University, its all negotiation with my boss as to when I can and can't take off. Fortunately she had health issues with her second child months after starting her postdoctoral position and was given 5 months working from home with full pay after her maternity leave ended so she is very sympathetic to family needs. I knew America had crap leave but I didn't realize how crap it was all over.