October 2015 Moms
Options

I want to switch to formula..

Who switched?  How did you feel after??   Did you talk to your Dr. first?

I have been exclusively pumping and just wondering how much longer I can do this for...

Re: I want to switch to formula..

• Options
    I recently switched and am so glad I did. Baby was crying all the time and I was ebf. I started giving him Similac sensitive and he's a completely different baby. I did not talk to my Dr about the switch.
  • Options
    We made the switch and it was like we had a completely different baby. I am so glad we switched though because I wasn't producing enough. LOL has done great with the transition and is a much happier baby. I will admit that when we first made the switch, I felt extremely guilty but after we figured out that I wasn't producing enough, I felt better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby is 3 weeks old and I started feeding him formula at 1 week, he likes it and I feel like he gets full. I still fed him breastmilk until yesterday. Feeding him is a lot easier also with a bottle, because when I was breastfeeding he was having a hard time latching on. I felt bad for wanting to switch, but in the end it is best for both of us.
  • Options
    Hey. How did you figure out that you weren't making enough? I feel so guilty because she's only a month and I wanted to BF for at least 6 months.
  • Options
    tulegrl14tulegrl14 member
    edited November 2015
    The LO was EBF until two days ago when my supply wasn't keep up with him, I'm currently mixing half breast milk and half organic Similac until my milk supply runs out and then it will be strictly formula. My LO had no constipation or gas when switching and didn't refuse a bottle of it. Plus the organic Similac uses cane sugar and not corn syrup. And Costco sells it for a good price.
  • Options
    I'm mostly formula feeding. My supply is very low. My LO loves it and is getting big! He was so upset and losing weight on breast milk.

It was a process but I'm finally ok with it.
  • Options
    I switched at 1 week. I always figured I'd breastfeed but it was just too much for me. My supply was okay but we had to supplement with a bottle feeding after to ensure she was getting enough (she had low blood sugar ). ...and it was just overwhelming. I still feel a little guilty since we are struggling to find the right formula. But I know that I needed to make the change for my sanity and to help me bond with my baby.
  • Options
    zetlopezzetlopez member
    edited November 2015

Hey. How did you figure out that you weren't making enough? I feel so guilty because she's only a month and I wanted to BF for at least 6 months.

I felt really guilty too since I wanted to bf for a year. It hit me he wasn't getting enough when I started offering him a bottle of formula and he wanted more than the recommended 3x his weight. I was pumping them mixing it with his formula. One day I decided to let him bf then top him off with formula. Well after 5 mins of bf he un latched then went to sleep, just like he always did while bf (although he normally went about 40 mins). I offered him a bottle and he ate like he was starving. That's when I realized he must have been hungry while I was ebf.

He was born smaller at 6 lb 5 oz and had trouble gaining his weight back. He did wet and poop enough diapers and was gaining weight. Since I started adding formula, he's gained weight at a much faster rate. That's why I don't feel guilty anymore. I've been letting him bf for 10 mins each side, then give him formula. I've been pumping and freezing too so that if my supply runs out I'll be able to offer him breast milk longer.