2nd Trimester

Abnormal Quad Screen Results

I am 17 weeks pregnant after losing our son at 40 weeks due to a placenta abruption last September. We just got our quad screen results back and it says we have a 1 in 126 chance the baby has Down syndrome. When we went for our 12 week ultrasound, the baby was measuring ahead so we could not get an NT measurement. We will go for the NIPT test and another ultrasound next week, but I'm freaking out. It will not change what we do with this pregnancy, we will love our baby no matter what. But of course every parent wants their child as healthy as possible. I know 1:126 is still less than 1%, but we've already been in the one percent. Has anyone had similar results and everything turn out to be ok?

Re: Abnormal Quad Screen Results

• I don't have experience with this but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your previous loss, I can definitely understand your fears... I can only say what you already mentioned which is- it Is still highly, highly likely that your baby will be perfectly healthy with the 1:126 result. Best of luck to you!
  • No real advice but I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it must be very hard but try to focus on the odds that your baby will be perfectly fine. Those odds far outweigh the chances of there being a problem. The very best of luck to you.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No advice, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. I will say a prayer for you and your baby. I hope you get a definitive answer soon and some good news.
  • My cousin had the same thing happen. Her son is a perfectly health 5 year old now. Good luck. I am so sorry for your loss and wish you the best. 
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • I just wanted to update in case anyone else is in the same situation. We had the follow up ultrasound and the baby showed no markers. We also did the more accurate blood test (NIPT) done and that all came back normal. While we know that the amnio is the only way to confirm, we are very much relieved. Like I said before, we would love our child regardless, so risking his/her life was just not worth it to us.

Thank you for you support and kind words. :)
  • Thanks for the positive update! We'll be getting the quad screen and if it comes back as potentially abnormal I'll have to dig this out to remind me that false positives happen!