November 2015 Moms

Homage to the Breast Milk!

Apart from its obvious uses, I can't believe the wonders of the stuff!
My son who's nearly 8 weeks had quite bad sticky eyes, I continuously cleaned them with cooled boiled water until someone recommended breast milk on a cotton wool ball, voilà cleared it up. Bit of dry skin on his forehead; breast milk sorted it. Sore bottom nappy rash.. You guessed it; breast milk did the trick!
The best one was my friend who unfortunately had to discard her expressed breast milk when she was on antibiotics that didn't suit her baby, but she didn't throw it away, she used it to clean her leather sofa.. Brilliant! Or maybe that was a tad too far..
Just wanted to give breast milk and its many uses a shoutout. Could be the next bicarbonate or vinegar?!

Re: Homage to the Breast Milk!

• I've heard (and done) this too. I will have to try breast milk on a cotton ball I've just been squirting milk straight on her eyelids but doesn't seem to be working.
  • My baby's got a bit of a rash. We're using breast milk to try and clear it up before rushing to the doctor. Especially since its a weekend, DH works and I'm not allowed to drive yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • The sticky on the eyes is probably caused by a clogged tear duct (at least ours was) and it's the antibacterial qualities in breastmilk that help so much with it! It's also helped with the little bit of baby acne if you rub it in some. I'm pretty impressed/grateful it does all these things - haha!
  • Someone told me that if you rub some breast milk just inside your nostrils when you have a sinus infection or a cold that it will clear it right up. Haven't tried it, but might be worth a try if/when I get sick next.
  • mom4liak said:

Someone told me that if you rub some breast milk just inside your nostrils when you have a sinus infection or a cold that it will clear it right up. Haven't tried it, but might be worth a try if/when I get sick next.

It helps if the baby is stuffy too.
  • Breast milk is amazing! It also works great to clear up cradle cap. Rub it on the spots on baby's head and gently brush with a baby brush. Worked wonders on DS when he was a baby.
  • Clears up pink eye as well, just squirt or use a medicine dropper in the infected eye.
    I have also been giving a few oz to my toddler to help speed up getting over a stuffy nose and cough.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • I second the baby acne. My daughter hasn't had much issue with acne, but she broke out a little and I rubbed some breast milk on it. It was cleared up the next morning.
  • @AMG901 Was just wondering how long it took for your LO's tear duct and eye to clear up? Arlo woke up with a mucusy eye today and I've been searching on how to help it. I just feel so bad for my little man. :(
  • @taykerslake it took a few days, I still apply breast milk now every so often. I went to the docs with it first before I heard about the breast milk. He said baby's do get sticky eyes, just check the whites of baby's eyes aren't red as it can be a sign of conjunctivitis. If they're quite bad or you're concerned and it's been over a week, I'd take a visit to the docs. Hope it gets better soon.

Going to have to try the nostril trick!!
  • Thank you so much! :) it looks like it's started to clear up thankfully, but I just seem to stress about anything that looks or sounds weird with baby lol! @AMG901
  • Thank you so much! :) it looks like it's started to clear up thankfully, but I just seem to stress about anything that looks or sounds weird with baby lol! @AMG901

My daughter had one and it came and went a few times. Breast milk and a warm wash rag to gently rub in the area helps. After the 3rd or 4th time it came back I happened to be at the pedi anyway and she gave us some eye drops which kept it away.
    Clogged ducts are very common.
  • Yep! Great for acne on baby and you! Also works great if the baby scratches their face.
  • @Cook3133 hilarious!! Thanks for the giggle! I find it amusing when the milk comes out as a spray and apologise to my baby for squirting him in the face haha!!
  • My LO is such a messy eater thanks to the breast shield anyway that he has milk all over his face and it drips down my boobs. My SIL were talking about how to get the milk in his nose... Would a q tip or eye dropper work better??
  • @rachswi an eye dropper would totally work! My LO is messy with that dang nipple shield too. Sometimes he gets his hands in there and pulls part of it off and boom we're both soaked.
  • @rachswi an eye dropper would totally work! My LO is messy with that dang nipple shield too. Sometimes he gets his hands in there and pulls part of it off and boom we're both soaked.

I've taken to putting a burp cloth underneath his face. We still get wet but not as bad. I have breast milk on every outfit by the end of the day.

Now I just have to find an eye dropper!
  • rachswi said:

@rachswi an eye dropper would totally work! My LO is messy with that dang nipple shield too. Sometimes he gets his hands in there and pulls part of it off and boom we're both soaked.

I've taken to putting a burp cloth underneath his face. We still get wet but not as bad. I have breast milk on every outfit by the end of the day.

DS was a super messy eater, I used to tuck a burb cloth in my bra otherwise my bra got soaked with every feeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • rachswi said:

@rachswi an eye dropper would totally work! My LO is messy with that dang nipple shield too. Sometimes he gets his hands in there and pulls part of it off and boom we're both soaked.

DS was a super messy eater, I used to tuck a burb cloth in my bra otherwise my bra got soaked with every feeding.
    My daughter is messy too. I have to tuck burp clothes too. We were using a shield, but she is just messy either way. Ha ha
  • I'm using it right now on my daighyers diaper rash. Should I just squeeze it on there? Because that's not working out so great. How else could I apply it to the diaper area
  • I'm using it right now on my daighyers diaper rash. Should I just squeeze it on there? Because that's not working out so great. How else could I apply it to the diaper area

Hand express onto your other hand and then rub it in.
  • @Cook3133 I just choked on my spit and had a coughing fit laughing at your post.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cook3133 said:

So my LO has had a bit of a cold with stuffyness for a few days or week now. I kept forgetting to try the BM in his nose. Finally today I rembered. Holy shit that was comical!! Glad it was just me seeing this.

So my lo finished nursing and my boons were full still so I figured perfect time to do this. Do you know how hard it is to squirt BM in a tiny nose hole?? So I don't always squirt out milk, so here I am squeezing my Breast to get milk out, some is coming out and dripping on LOs face, I look at my nipple and squeeze and shoot myself in the eye, try again on the baby and get it everywhere else on his face but his nose, after about 5 min I think I got some diwn his nostrils :). It was a fun experience :)

Haha!! I EP but I seem to always get milk all over me. .

Did it work ?? Anna seems to have a bit of a cold