Breastfeeding
Options

Low supply

Hi! I know people have mentioned this before but it's just so frustrating! My supply is low and I'm doing everything I can to raise it but it just doesn't seem to be budging. I have been to a lactation consultant twice and to a breastfeeding support group. I'm drinking tons of teas and water but nothing seems to be working. I am pumping about 3 times a day and I barely get anything. Any one have any ideas to help out? Really trying to feed my baby. I am supplementing him since he needs the calories and his health is most important but I would love to go back to just breast milk if possible. Looking for help!

Re: Low supply

• Options
    Supplements and tea can do the opposite for some women. If you have s thyroid disorder, then the supplements can hurt your already low supply. What worked for me was power pumping and acupuncture.
  • Options
    Can I ask why you say your supply is low? Many people feel it is when it really isn't.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Doesn't baby boost supply more than a pump?
  • Options
    I know supply is low bc baby was not gaining weight. Now I'm trying all sorts of teas to up supply. I'm feeding baby at the breast and giving a one ounce bottle with each feeding. Mostly formula and I pump about an ounce by the end of the day.
  • Options
    Can you bedshare and nurse some at night? Especially between 1-5am is best for supply. Keep baby on the breast as frequently as possible through the day. Also, how old is your LO?
  • Options
    He is 3 and a half weeks! Such a cutie pie. @kls12301 I can try that!
  • Options
    @Jadler22, 3 weeks is a big growth spurt time too. My son nursed every 30 to 40 minutes around the clock at that age while going through his growth spurt. Hang in there, you can do it! :)
  • Options
    Fenugreek capsules helped me. 
  • Options
    The lactation tonic from Herb Pharm is fantastic...I got it on Amazon.   Biggest thing for supply is breastfeed breastfeed breastfeed.   Seriously have that baby at the breast as much as possible.   The biggest supply killer is supplementing with formula and pumping.   Your breasts need the baby to drain them in order to produce more.   Some women just can't get there with a pump.   I have never been able to pump myself but I have EBF two babies, the first till 18 months and the second till 3 yrs.   Hang in there!
  • Options
    I am dealing with the same thing...my 3 week old wants about 3-4oz each feeding and I'm not producing enough so I have had to add in formula also...its so discouraging because I am trying everything also and not serving an increase in supply...sometimes it makes me really down feeling like I am failing as a mom (though I know I am not since he is still getting what I can give him and more from the formula)...