June 2016 Moms

NBR: one more drink thread :)

It seems like a lot of people here know their drinks, so I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask.

Dh and I don't drink at all, even when I'm not pregnant, and we are going to a holiday party where the main thing is going to be great holiday drinks (alcoholic of course). So here's my question: what is a good non alcoholic drink I can ask for at someone's house without looking like a total oddball? I don't want to be walking around drinking ice water or diet soda, but I just don't know what is customary to have at parties. Club soda? Ginger ale? I'm clueless, lol
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NBR: one more drink thread :)

• I'd say it's likely there will be club soda or seltzer, also cranberry juice is a common mixer. So you could do seltzer with cranberry juice, or seltzer with lemon/lime. I would suggest if you're worried to bring your own drink just in case there isn't a suitable mixer for those not drinking.

If it's appropriate it could also be fun since you are teetotaling, to bring something like drinking vinegars or bitters(bitters have alcohol, but, you only use a few drops of them in a drink) and a few liters of seltzer to offer as a drink to others when they feel they could use a break from the alcohol. If you go to a fancier grocery store like a heath food store or Whole Foods I bet you'll find lots of fun "soda" mixers like that. I've had ginger, pineapple, and tamarind. I find them all all to be delicious.
  • My go to is a virgin mojito - lots of lime, mint, seltzer and some simple sugar. It looks like a cocktail (if you're still keeping things quiet) and feels fancier than a soda.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just go for club soda or ginger ale usually. both are good mixed with juice (orange or cranberry - both of which are probably on hand if cocktails are happening). 
  • A shirley temple!
  • Seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice & a lime is always refreshing and looks festive!
  • Rosehip15 said:

Seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice & a lime is always refreshing and looks festive!

Yes!

• I just went on vacation with friends while keeping it secret, and as long as me or hubs grabbed my drink, it was super easy to have soda water (seltzer) with lime and a splash of cranberry. I love the drink, and no one asked questions! They'll assume vodka is involved. Also if they have any other fruits, etc for drinks soda water and lime + whatever they have should work and taste good. Also, any old soda if you add a line or lemon to the rim or inside the glass will look more like a cocktail. :)
  • Maybe they will have apple cider or hot cocoa- I usually put them out at the holidays and put a bottle of rum and Bailleys next to them so if people want them spiked they can! You can always make some cider and bring it too! There are some amazing crock pot recipes for easy transport.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I quit drinking years ago and my go-to "out" drink is pineapple and seltzer water. Very refreshing.

You could always BYO and drink whatever you choose. We are bringing our own to TG in a few days. Found some crazy spicy sparkling apple cider that is amazing.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga