July 2016 Moms

What kind of delivery will you have?

2»

Re: What kind of delivery will you have?

• I was induced for ds and it was soooo terrible! I went into the hospital on a wed night and he wasn't born until sat at 7:06 am! I was stuck at 3 cm for 2 days then at 6am sat wham bam everything went wild! I went from 3 to 7 to 10 and pushed him out in 20 mins! Really hoping I won't need to be induced this time around! I had an epidural and will prob get one again! Great stuff!
    I would only ever deliver at a hospital with a nicu, ds ended up there for 4 days dt low blood sugars. I'm an ex L&D nurse and perfectly healthy moms and babies can crash with no warning! Better safe than sorry! Also if you deliver at a hospital without a nicu and baby has to be transferred for some reason then you are stuck at the hospital you delivered at while baby's at another! That would be terrible!
  • Give me all the drugs in the hospital!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think this time I will try and go as long as possible without pain meds. I managed to have an unmedicated (except for pitocin) birth with my second (accidently. I waited to long to ask for the epi so I couldn't get it) so I know that I can do it. My plan is to hopefully have a very similar labor and birth with my 3rd as I did with my 2nd. My 1st L&D experience was awful so I'm praying not to repeat that one.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'd like to have an unmedicated birth again but who knows what will happen.
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • knitmama said:
    knitmama said:
    I'll be trying for a VBAC, but I'm nervous. My plan with DD was unmedicated birth and I carefully chose a hospital that great birthing rooms with balls, bar, tub. But my body had other plans. At 41 weeks + 1 day, I was nowhere near going into labor - 0 dilation or effacement, baby was still high, I even stopped having Braxton Hicks contractions. To top it off, DD was 9 1/2 pounds with a head in the 95th percentile. I saw my OB Monday evening and we discussed the situation and decided a c-section was the safest for both baby and me. She was out 20 hours later! C-section recovery was miserable and long. Hoping to avoid doing it again if I can.
    @knitmama Sorry you had a rough recovery! Sounds like we had a similar end of pregnancy - DD was almost 2 weeks overdue with absolutely nothing happening with my body. My doctor couldn't even sweep my membranes my cervix was closed up so tight. I did end up needing a c-section but I was lucky that my recovery was pretty easy. The first few days were a bit rough but by 3 weeks I was having to remind myself to take it easy because I felt so good! I'll be getting a repeat c-section because my induction and labour experience with DD was really horrible. I'm hoping I heal as well this time around.

Good luck with your VBAC! I hope you get the birth you want this time around
    @DobbysSock thank you! It's nice to hear that it can go well. I think part of my difficult recovery was due to blood loss and clotting immediately after surgery. Nurses had to manually express the clots (ouch!) which caused anemia. I also can't take acetaminophen, so 72 hours after surgery I only had Motrin. It was not nearly enough pain relief.
    @knitmama oh my God. Do you mean they had to push down on your incision to get the clots out? That sounds horrible. I can definitely understand why you'd want to try for a VBAC! 
  • Definitely going the epidural route. With my first, I tried to go med free for about an hour and realized that wasn't for me and got the epidural, which I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I couldn't feel much (at the very end in transition it was starting to hurt a little), but had the urge to push when it was time. My second was an unplanned c-section. We went in for an induction at 41 weeks and found she had turned breach (again) and there was no turning her. I really want a vbac and with my history of uncomplicated vaginal birth, it being 4 years since my c-section, and my drs support, I'm confident that'll happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My plan was unmediated vaginal birth for DD......they don't do gas and air in the USA and I didn't want an epidural. Found out DD was breach so had a scheduled c section planned....DD came 3 weeks early when I went into labour and had an emergency c section. Sorry for Mums who had a bad c section recovery. Mine was fab, I was home after 3 days, driving in less than 2 weeks. I'd like a VBAC but I'll just go with the flow for #2 :)

• Pankers said:

My plan was unmediated vaginal birth for DD......they don't do gas and air in the USA and I didn't want an epidural. Found out DD was breach so had a scheduled c section planned....DD came 3 weeks early when I went into labour and had an emergency c section. Sorry for Mums who had a bad c section recovery. Mine was fab, I was home after 3 days, driving in less than 2 weeks. I'd like a VBAC but I'll just go with the flow for #2 :)

Just so you know, they do actually do nitrous oxide in the US. Depends upon the hospital. It's becoming more common very recently.
  • My plan was unmediated vaginal birth for DD......they don't do gas and air in the USA and I didn't want an epidural. Found out DD was breach so had a scheduled c section planned....DD came 3 weeks early when I went into labour and had an emergency c section. Sorry for Mums who had a bad c section recovery. Mine was fab, I was home after 3 days, driving in less than 2 weeks. I'd like a VBAC but I'll just go with the flow for #2 :)
    Just so you know, they do actually do nitrous oxide in the US. Depends upon the hospital. It's becoming more common very recently.

I second this. I'm in the US, and the birthing center I plan to use offers nitrous oxide for pain relief.
  • I was a week late with DD and was happy my doc didn't give in to induction.  She came right when she wanted to. I birthed at home for awhile and once my DH convinced me to to go the hospital we were at a 5 already.  I got the epidural and had my daughter about 10 hours later.  I even got out without stitches!!  If I could pick it would go the exact same way.....ok I wouldn't mind not going to 41 weeks but anything for a healthy baby!
  • If I could choose I would choose an unmedicated VBAC with no induction. However, I'm also not completely opposed to medicated. Labor with DD was not great. I went in at 8pm on a Thursday and didn't have her until 10pm that Friday via c-section. Induced with a foley bulb, that was only supposed to take 6hrs (took 12) and comes out at 4cm. I was supposed to get a break but they immediately started pitocin. Had contractions that made me sick. They told me I could have the epidural whenever so I took it to get a break. Took a nap for an hour. Epidural sopped working. They tried to re-do it two more times and all it did was numb my legs. I never progressed past 4 with off the charts contractions and by the time it was 930 I told them if they thought they were going to end up doing a c-section, just do it.

I'm making a list of all the things I need to do differently this this. Number one is to train my husband what it means to press on my back when I need him to.
                             imageimageimage
              Emma June 8/22/2014
  • vaginal for both so far, with epidural, so will hopefully go the same way.   I held out for 10 days late with first to avoid induction, and the delivery and labor were VERY easy.  2nd had to induce due to a version after breech 4 days late.  induction was awful, the pitocin was insane and i almost ended with a c-section.  So realllllly hoping to avoid this again if i can.   i am only now slightly considering going natural with no pain meds since it's my last.... but this is verrrrrrry veryyy slim chance. i have zero pain tolerance ha
  • Ah, in the hospitals in North Carolina they were not providing it. Glad it's available though.

• I'm hoping this time around, I will go med free (if I can help it). I went in with the last one thinking the same, but being induced wasn't fun and the pain was unbearable so I was practically begging for an epidural.
  • We have a tour at the birth center that I want to deliver at on Nov 30th. Right now that is the way I am leaning (they offer nitrous oxide but no epidurals, and are 3 mins from two hospitals and a children's hospital) but we'll see after the tour!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• I am going for a birth center, no drugs. Our birth centers only offer nitrous, and that stuff hates my asthma while not helping pain. I was thinking originally of a home birth, but for me the biggest concern was lack of easy access to RhoGam (I'm Rh- and DH is +) and more importantly I literally don't want to have to deal with clean up in my home. Not even if someone else is doing it. Don't want to even hear it during immediate post partum time.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • born2run911born2run911 member
    edited November 2015

I am going for a birth center, no drugs. Our birth centers only offer nitrous, and that stuff hates my asthma while not helping pain. I was thinking originally of a home birth, but for me the biggest concern was lack of easy access to RhoGam (I'm Rh- and DH is +) and more importantly I literally don't want to have to deal with clean up in my home. Not even if someone else is doing it. Don't want to even hear it during immediate post partum time.

This isn't something I ever really thought of with a home birth/out of hospital birth. How do you get your RhoGam? I believe it's within 72 hours of delivery you need it so do you have to go into the hospital or outpatient lab afterwards to get it? Just out of genuine curiosity.

Edited for clairty
  • My birth center can do it. I'm sure I could figure it out otherwise, but my midwife will be my only doc for my first visits afterwards and can't do that type of injection at home, and I know the pediatrician won't be taking care of me and my needs. My biggest concern is really having to deal with clean up though.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker