Infertility
Options

New IVF process

kjplazakjplaza member
edited November 2015 in Infertility
My Husband and i have been TTC for nearly 2 years and have been going through all the fertility testing since February. We just recently found out that IVF is our only option as my husbands sperm count is too low to try IUI. Our Dr wants to start in January however we have a trip to the Philippines scheduled for March.  I have no idea what to expect or what exactly the process entails. Ive heard from a few friends that the first trimester after IVF is more difficult than natural conception has this been the case for anyone out there? A few people were recommending i wait until afer march however i hate to put anything off since timing and success is never a sure thing. Any words of advice id love to know! Im both scared and excited about this journey. 

Me (28) DH (32)
Married: Dec 2011
TTC#1 May 2014
Dx: MFI (low count)
FET#1 May 2016  BFP 
EDD 2/4/17 - TWINS- MC July  o:)o:)
FET#2- 11/9/16 BFP- MC o:)
FET#3- 2/8/17 BFP- MC o:)

Re: New IVF process

• Options
    Hi @kjplaza! I would make an appt with the RE and go over your concerns with them :blush:
  • Options
    **BFP Mentioned***

Sorry about your Dx. We did IVF for MFI and pcos and got a BFP our first go, so there's lots of good news about overcoming MFI via IVF. :)

I don't know that the first trimester is more difficult in and of itself for IVFers. Keep in mind though that you will likely be monitored by blood work and US 1x a wk through week 8 of your pregnancy and may be on injectible medication (Progesterone in Oil) through wk 9-11. For me I stopped injects at week 9 and i cancelled a domestic trip Bc traveling while sticking a 1.5 inch needle in my butt every night sounded impossible. I also got walloped by fierce morning sickness and exhaustion, but other moms in our IVF group have little to no symptoms.

For timing, IVF cycles can last anywhere from 6-10 wks depending on your protocol (antagonist or long protocol) so that would be an important factor for you to know. In addition, I have OB apts at 8, 10, 12, 16, and 20 wks due to age. You could have less or even possibly more if you have multiples.

My biggest concern with traveling to the Phillipines right now would be food. This goes for any normal pregnancy. There are a lot of food quality restrictions to be aware of and I'm not sure I'd have fun if I couldn't try all the local delicacies. You may also be very tired during your first trimester and travel could be difficult. You would at the very least want to clear such a long flight with your OB or RE as there may be travel restrictions specific to your case.

One option I would suggest if you want to move forward is consider a split cycle. Go all the way through egg retrieval, but if you have enough embryos, freeze them and do an FET cycle when you return (this has risks/may incur more costs). GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would start as soon as possible. I went on two trips during my 1st trimester, while I was still getting PIO injections, and it wasn't bad. I just had to have a system down for taking them. (One of my trips being 5 days camping) I wouldn't say my first trimester was any worse than anyone else's, but everyone is different. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Start as soon as possible. You may get a BFP on the first implant and the only thing you will have to do is PIO injections. If you receive a negative, it will give your body a month off to recover and you may have a better success rate. My doc told me they have better success rates with frozen eggs because your body isn't as stressed.
  • Options

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I have a phone conference call with the RE next week to formally set up the IVF protocol so ill be sure to ask more specifics about medications and timeline of appt's during our last meeting the dr said it wouldnt be an issue and just sort of brushed past the topic of travel. I have such a sensitive stomach just taking prenatals on an empty stomach makes me sick so im a little worried how my body will react to all the medications. I am ok with being a bit sore or uncomfortable as i am a bridesmaid in a good friends wedding that has been in the works for nearly 2 years i want to do anything i can to make it work but at the same time be safe and hopefully end the next year with a baby! The dr is of course optimistic that it will be a one cycle thing for us i am a bit more reserved. Ill have to ask also about success rates with FET vs ET. 
    Theres so much to learn and quickly to insure my DH and I make all the right choices. 

Me (28) DH (32)
    Married: Dec 2011
    TTC#1 May 2014
    Dx: MFI (low count)
    FET#1 May 2016  BFP 
    EDD 2/4/17 - TWINS- MC July  o:)o:)
    FET#2- 11/9/16 BFP- MC o:)
    FET#3- 2/8/17 BFP- MC o:)