April 2015 Moms
Options

Vasospasms

has anyone else experienced nipple Vasospasms after nursing? I've read about them online and my LC diagnosed it as Vasospasms. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which I guess makes me more prone to them. I did start a prescription of nifedipine and the frequency has decreased, but when I get them (almost always on the left) the pain is debilitating. Worse than labor. Just wondering if others are/have gone through this. I want to continue nursing but may have to stop or exclusively pump if the pain keeps up.

Re: Vasospasms

• Options
    Sorry for this super late reply... I hope your situation has improved! I struggled with vasospasms for the first 4 months, not realizing what it was, until I was properly diagnosed and started nifedipine -- that stuff totally saved me. I definitely would have had to quit nursing without it. Heating my boobs before, during, and after nursing also helped (still does -- my baby is almost 7 months now and things have been much, much better for a few months now). Vasospasms are so painful! Hope you got some help for yours.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply! I'm not glad you had them too, but glad to hear I wasn't alone. Yes, the prescription totally saved me. I took it for about 10 weeks and then tried without it. My baby boy is 7 months now and we're doing great with nursing and no more meds. The right diagnosis is key. Im glad you are pain free, too :)