High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Elevated risk for T21 Questions

Hi all:

I'm 20 weeks and got a call from my doctor to let me know they scheduled my 21 week u/s to a level 2 u/s due to an elevated risk of T21. My ratio was 1:133, I'm a numbers gal so I'm staying positive knowing my baby has a 99.3% chance of being healthy and a .7% chance of being born with T21. I'm not scared of a T21 diagnosis, more so the health effects that come with it. So my questions to ladies are:

How the heck did y'all stay sane waiting for test results?? We'll know more in 60 hours (not that I'm counting). Not knowing is the hardest part

If you had this experience have any of you forgone the amnio bc of MC risks? Was it hard to definitely not know??

Obviously I'll be talking the amnio question over with my medical team on Thursday but I'd like to hear of experiences from other mothers.

TIA!

Re: Elevated risk for T21 Questions

• Options
    We were never given our odds, but we had also done Materna Plus at 11 w. We had a prior loss due to trisomy 13, though, so we definitely would have done amnio. I've never known anyone to have complications.
  • Options
    mthoomommthoomom member
    edited November 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your words. We had no soft markers in our u/s today so our odds are now 1:665 almost right on to the odds of 1:720 for my age group. The best news was that the heart looks great, which was always my worry.
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    @jenniferamcooper heyy , i went through the same exact thing as you , just the unknown was very difficult for me , i also took the level 2 ultrasound and they found no soft markers & just to know for sure i took the maternity21 test also& everything came back fine . For better proof i gave birth oct 1 to my healthy 9.8pounds babyboy , beautiful as he can be , i will tell you dont stress it , everything is fine w your baby , &my odds was lower than yours & my odds had to be 1/1100 and it was 1/120 , so believe me when i tell you everything is going to be fine ,you and your baby will be in my prayers <3 good luck with everything ,& i wish you nothing but the best.
  • Options
    Thanks @kathyxoxo my biggest concern is the heart but heart look great so I'm just so thankful. We decided against invasive and non-invasive testing due to the risk associated and the costs ($1,000 here in Canada with exchange rate). The odds are so low now my hubby (physics wiz) rationalized the odds for me. He was an excellent champion in keeping me calm.
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet that your babe is just fine. An ultrasound is a predictor, it's looking at your baby whereas the odds are just that: odds. The "odds" apply to all women your age and whatever else they use to determine the odds. We complain a lot about our husbands on here, but they are good at calming us down aren't they?! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!