Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

First post. I was seeking experiences and information.

Hello everyone.  I decided to post here hoping that anyone might shed some light on my situation.

I am 36 years old and have just gone through my second miscarriage in 5 months.  I decided to have genetic testing done after the second and they found out the baby had Trisomy 2.  I was not told if it was a partial trisomy, mosaicism...etc.  My Dr. is referring me to genetic counseling due to the relative obscurity of this result.  From what I read, Trisomy 2 is rather rare and most often results in miscarriage, although there are exceptions. I've searched around on the internet, although I've found very little information regarding my chances of having another miscarriage.  Does anyone have experience or information with Trisomy 2?  I am devastated with this second loss, but even more devastated at the prospect of not being able to have children. 

Thank you.

Re: First post. I was seeking experiences and information.

• Hi, I am so sorry for your losses. It is so hard to go through it once, and then so difficult a second time.

I had never heard about trisomy 2, until your post. In general trisomies mean that you have three copies instead of 2 copies of a chromosome, in this case chromosome 2. There are more common trisomies, I.e 18, 21. Usually trisomies and monosomies are caused by defects when the chromosomes segregate derived from the mom and dad, and it is usually a one time deal. We just got our results back and our baby had Turner's syndrome (only one X chromosome). Trisomy 2 is a rare one, so there may be additional implications, so it is good that your ob referred you to a genetic counselor, they will provide more info.

I am sorry I don't have any more info. Hang in there, be patient as they provide you with more answers. Please keep us updated. ((Hugs))
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am so terribly sorry for your losses. I don't have any information for you, but I do hope you get answers.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Loading the player...
  • Hi, I am so sorry for your losses. It is so hard to go through it once, and then so difficult a second time. I had never heard about trisomy 2, until your post. In general trisomies mean that you have three copies instead of 2 copies of a chromosome, in this case chromosome 2. There are more common trisomies, I.e 18, 21. Usually trisomies and monosomies are caused by defects when the chromosomes segregate derived from the mom and dad, and it is usually a one time deal. We just got our results back and our baby had Turner's syndrome (only one X chromosome). Trisomy 2 is a rare one, so there may be additional implications, so it is good that your ob referred you to a genetic counselor, they will provide more info. I am sorry I don't have any more info. Hang in there, be patient as they provide you with more answers. Please keep us updated. ((Hugs))
    Thank you for all the information.  I really appreciate it. From what I know about chromosome 2, it is the second largest chromosome thus holding a very large amount of genetic information.  Hearing that, It seems that an issue on that chromosome would have devastating implications. 

I truly hope that this is going to be a one time deal.  I am also very sorry for your loss although it's good to see that you received answers.  Thank you again for all the help.  ((hugs back))

cjt121413 said:
    I am so terribly sorry for your losses. I don't have any information for you, but I do hope you get answers.
    Thank you very much.  I just appreciate not feeling so alone.
  • I'm sorry, I don't have any info for you about Trisomy 2.  I just wanted you to know I'll be thinking of you.  We seem to be in the same boat.  I am 36, no children, and just went through my second loss in a row in five months as well.  I had a D&C yesterday because the doctor thought our little one was a partial molar pregnancy.  I'm hoping that it isn't that so that we don't have to wait 6months to a year to try again.  I feel so incredibly old as it is.  My thoughts go out to you, and hope you get answers to your questions soon.
    Married 4/2011
    TTC since 4/2015
    bfp 7/14/2015 EDD 3/22/16 m/c 7w0d o:)
    bfp 10/2/2015 EDD 6/22/16 d&c 9w0d o:)
  • Check on the TTC board there was a woman who was just discussing her test results the other day and it was trisomy (not sure if there was a 2) might be worth a read or even to reach out to her...sorry for your loss..I wish you the best