November 2015 Moms
Options

Frustrated!

Just sort of needing to vent but if you have any input or advice feel free to reply!
FTM here and I'm super frustrated and don't know what to do or think.. So my daughters 2 weeks and two days and still jaundice. We had gone to the hospital at 5 days old and she was admitted due to high levels of bilirubin we stayed for 2 days and when they came down from 20 to 14 we were able to leave. Fast forward last Thursday we went to our follow up and they checked her levels and they were at 15. Now today we went for a two week appointment and we tested again a they've gone up to 16 so the doctor told me to stop breastfeeding her (pump) and give her formula for the next two days to bring her levels down..
Here's the thing though, I think it's breastfeeding jaundice not breast milk jaundice because she doesn't latch well and probably isn't getting enough milk to flush the billirubin out.. If I'm right and that's what it is then I'm afraid giving her formula in a bottle is going to make breastfeeding worse and she'll be even less likely to latch when we stop giving her formula and try to breastfeed again. Then her levels will start to rise again or even if they don't then I'll be stuck having to bottle feed and won't be able to breastfeed at all. I'm just so irritated and feel like breastfeeding totally failed and is on a downward slope now and it really depresses me. This whole thing just sucks, ultimately I just want her healthy but uhgg :/

Re: Frustrated!

• Options
    Have you been to a lactation consultant? I'm a FTM and it was a huge help! We were also having jaundice and weight loss problems . They had me use a nipple sheld to help with latching. Then we were on a two hour day time feeding schedule (from start of feeding to start of next feeding) and three hour night schedule. (Funny how hard it can be to wake a sleeping baby).Then we also supplemented with 30ml breast milk using a syringe. It all worked and her weight is back up and bilirubin levels are normal. She is 19 days now and breastfeeding on demand like a champ.
  • Options
    aobrine said:

Have you been to a lactation consultant? I'm a FTM and it was a huge help! We were also having jaundice and weight loss problems . They had me use a nipple sheld to help with latching. Then we were on a two hour day time feeding schedule (from start of feeding to start of next feeding) and three hour night schedule. (Funny how hard it can be to wake a sleeping baby).Then we also supplemented with 30ml breast milk using a syringe. It all worked and her weight is back up and bilirubin levels are normal. She is 19 days now and breastfeeding on demand like a champ.

I'm so jealous! :( how long did you use the nipple shield? How long did it take you doing that schedule to get her levels back down? And what do you mean you supplemented with breast milk? Like in between feeding? Sorry I have so many questions I'm just so desperate!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Syringe feed breast milk between feedings. That is what we had to do. 30 ml after each nursing session. Also I fed her in front of the window with the sun shining in as much as possible. She went from a 19 to a 6 in just 2 days.
    We did eventually need to introduce the bottle because of weight gaining issues and found that Minbie bottles with an extra slow nipple has been very close to breastfeeding and has reduced any nipple confusion.
  • Options
    It's frustrating when you're trying to breastfeed and nothing seems to be going the way it should.

I would recommend seeing an LC before going to formula. Talk through your issues with someone who ONLY deals with breastfeeding. Our first pediatrician told me to stop nursing at 3 months old when I tried to talk to her about some concerns. Then told me that it was too late to see an LC and to just switch to formula. I left her office and went to a walk in clinic for a referral to a new pediatrician and it was the best decision. The new ped was so supportive of us breastfeeding and did everything he could to help with our issues and got me in touch with a wonderful LC. Sometimes I feel like they are too quick to recommend formula.
    YCSWU
  • Options
    We were on the 2 hour (3 hr night) feedings for 5 days. I pumped for 10 minutes after each feeding to keep my supply up and to use for the syringe feeding. I had to use the nipple shield for 5 days also. The 30ml of breast milk was after each feeding. She would suck on one of our fingers while the tube to the syringe ran next to it. This also helped with her sucking for breastfeeding. It was a round the clock feeding schedule but worth it.
    I would get in to see a lactation consultant today, don't wait (one place told me the next appointment would be a week out, I called the next and got in the same day). I agree that you want to talk with someone who knows and is in favor for breastfeeding.
  • Options

aobrine said:

I'm so jealous! :( how long did you use the nipple shield? How long did it take you doing that schedule to get her levels back down? And what do you mean you supplemented with breast milk? Like in between feeding? Sorry I have so many questions I'm just so desperate!
    We had the same issues. We used the shield for about a week and a half until she figured out how to latch better. We also supplemented with donor breastmilk while we waited for my milk to come in. We used an SNS with our fingers so she didn't get a bottle. The SNS has a tube that you can attach to your breast and nurse or to your finger. Since we had a latch issue, we used our fingers. She is now 4.5 weeks and doing great. We are totally off the shield, she is feeding on demand, her color looks good and she is gaining weight. Definitely talk to a LC. It could help. And if you are worried about a bottle, look into the SNS. The one we used was made by Madela. Once she was getting enough milk, the jaundice cleared up.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest a shield too. I used one with my first due to flat nipples
  • Options
    I would also say look into an SNS supplemental nursing system. This way you can still nurse but make sure they are getting the proper amount of either pumped milk or formula and you don't run the risk of confusion with a bottle or shield.
  • Options
    My baby had jaundice and it's because he wasn't eating enough and so then I started to feed him breast milk with a bottle and he was able to eat enough and then poop enough to clear the bilirubin from his system so do what you think is best. The doctors only know so much, your the momma and know what's best!
  • Options
    I had a similar problem with my son as well. Apparently for breastfeeding, my nipples are not long enough. My son would finally latch, which took forever, and then pull away and it was such a painful and exhausting process. The LC in the hospital had me pump and finger feed him through the syringe as well, I had wanted to wait to introduce the bottles as well until my milk came in hoping that would make things better. My milk took 4 days to come in, my son wasn't latching still, and he wasn't getting enough milk through the syringe feeding along with me not producing enough. His levels went from a 12 when we left the hospital to a 16 and he had lost a full pound in just 3 days. I ultimately had to suck it up and just supplement. We use enfamil supplement formula and split it with my milk. I exclusively pump now and I've been able to produce what he eats per feeding but he lost so much weight I am not comfortable taking him off the supplement yet. Our last visit to the dr on Thursday his levels dropped from a 16 to a 13 in just 2 days and his skin looked so much more even and he was almost back to birth weight already. Good luck mama, just do what you feel is best for your babe!
  • Options

I would also say look into an SNS supplemental nursing system. This way you can still nurse but make sure they are getting the proper amount of either pumped milk or formula and you don't run the risk of confusion with a bottle or shield.

I used a SNS to supplement DD. It takes a few tries to get used to it. The Medela one was so much easier to use then the one the hospital gave me. If you do try one, see if a LC or nurse can help you out setting it up the first time. I also watched a few YouTube videos which were very helpful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We used an SNS and shield in the hospital as well, it was the only way to get him to latch on. It worked wonders, it's a little tricky and takes some time, but worth it if you're wanting to breastfeed! I decided to exclusively pump due to latch issues and stress levels I was heading into at home, had I wanted to EBF, I'd definitely still be using the SNS.