October 2015 Moms
Options

Baby constipated

Baby usually poops 2-3times or more a day. Baby pooped one time yesterday and hasn't today.hes very cranky kicking legs and whining or grunting like he's trying to. Any recommendations. I'll be calling the doctors first thing tomorrow. Also I'm not sure if it could be antibiotics I'm on (amoxicillin). Thanks all!

Re: Baby constipated

• Options
    It could possibly be a side effect from the antibiotics you are on. Antibiotics get rid of the good gut flora as well as bad bacteria, and when the good stuff is depleted it can lead to constipation. Probiotics might help but it's good you will be calling the doctor too. I hope your baby feels better soon!
  • Options
    In the mean time, if you haven't already, try a warm bath. Sometimes it helps to relax things and helps them go.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if your baby is breast fed or formula fed... but if formula fed and on powder, try swapping just one bottle a day out for the ready to feed liquid formula. My son was barely having one poopy diaper a day and was starting to get cranky and VERY clingy for a few days, I tried this trick and all of a sudden almost every diaper I changed was a dirty one. Cleared him out and now he's been much more consistent with his BMs. 
  • Options
    Is he breastfed or formula fed? When I was breastfeeding my daughter she pooped multiple times a day and I just recently switched to exclusively formula feeding her and she barely poops. So I'm wondering the same thing ... :/
  • Options
    He lost over 12% of body weight and my doctor advised me to supplement so he's getting both. Dr told me it's normal for baby not to poo but I find that very odd.
  • Options
    I have been told that unless the poop is hard pellets, they aren't constipated.
  • Options
    What @leighann1 said. My pediatrician said not to worry for at least 3 days if baby hasn't pooped and is FF. Just try bicycling the legs, rubbing the belly. Gas drops might help. If all else fails, the pediatricians office also said you can put Vaseline on a rectal thermometer and insert it...that can help stimulate things to start.
  • Options

Is he breastfed or formula fed? When I was breastfeeding my daughter she pooped multiple times a day and I just recently switched to exclusively formula feeding her and she barely poops. So I'm wondering the same thing ... :/

I have EFF from the very beginning, and most days DD only poops once, maybe twice a day. Occasionally she skips a day. It's normal. :)
  • Options
    @rue:D does your baby have trouble when he or she needs to go poop?? I formula feed my baby and whenever she wants to go poop she has a really hard time and sometimes I have to help her by using the q-tip with Vaseline
  • Options
    riosv said:

@rue:D does your baby have trouble when he or she needs to go poop?? I formula feed my baby and whenever she wants to go poop she has a really hard time and sometimes I have to help her by using the q-tip with Vaseline

It doesn't seem to be hard for her at all. Sometimes she'll make an awful face but she doesn't cry or scream or anything so I don't think it bothers her much, if at all. You might need to try a different formula, see if it makes any difference.