June 2016 Moms
Options

Diapers??

How on earth do we attempt to figure out how many diapers we might need? I've only heard awful things about the diapers sold where I live (Kuwait so no pampers loves huggies honest company etc) so people will be buying and sending to us as gifts. I would like to register for approx how many I need, but being a FTM I'm absolutely clueless about this!

Re: Diapers??

• Options
    It's hard because babies can grow out of the smaller sizes really fast, but it's hard to know how big or small your baby will be! But you'll need 10-12 per day, if that helps.
  • Options
    10-12 per day for newborns and it goes down from there. Maybe consider cloth diapers? They really are much easier than some believe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CortsCorts member
    edited November 2015
    Don't get a lot of newborn size. I moved my son to size 2 at 6 weeks old.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you have access to a washer/dryer definitely consider cloth!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like they said, it's entirely dependent upon how fast baby grows. 

I don't want to pressure you into cloth if you aren't comfortable with it, but it's really easy and many of them grow with your baby once they're past the newborn phase. 
  • Options
    They go through 10-12 a day as newborns, but your baby might need size 1 right away instead of newborn size depending on how big and long he or she is born. Also the weight ranges listed on diapers are just approximations since baby's body type (long, short, chunky or skinny thighs) might affect the fit enough to need a different size than the weight range would suggest. I wouldn't get too many of the smallest sizes if you can't easily return or exange them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yup. We rarely used newborn size diapers. (We also had a 9.5lb baby). We were in 1s for a few months, 2s until I bet 6-7 months. 3s till just over a year. And 4s have worked for us since (he just turned two). But our next box we are going up to 5s.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    NicknShan said:

Yup. We rarely used newborn size diapers. (We also had a 9.5lb baby). We were in 1s for a few months, 2s until I bet 6-7 months. 3s till just over a year. And 4s have worked for us since (he just turned two). But our next box we are going up to 5s.

We did preemie diapers for a month, then newborn for maybe a month, 1s for another month, then 2s until about 6 months. I remember changing sizes quickly at the beginning. He was skinny but long and always needed to move up a size starting with the lowest weight listed for each size because of his length (we'd get leaks up the back). He moved up to 5s at about 20 months old but then we recently went back to 4s because his thighs got leaner and he started getting leaks around the legs.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You never know how long you will be in any size. My boy was 7#10 and wore newborns for 9-10 weeks. I love cloth though!
  • Options
    Google has lots of lists of parents who tallied what their kids used. You can get an idea from that. Lucky you if you will get all the diapers you ever need! Must have some generous gift givers. I know you're in Kuwait, but for US people, couponing them is the way to go.
  • Options
    Linsbins said:

Google has lots of lists of parents who tallied what their kids used. You can get an idea from that. Lucky you if you will get all the diapers you ever need! Must have some generous gift givers. I know you're in Kuwait, but for US people, couponing them is the way to go.

Teach me your couponing ways!!! :P lol
    DH - 24; Me: 26
    Married 3/7/15
    Expecting Baby #1: 06/06/2016
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Linsbins said:

Linsbins said:

Teach me your couponing ways!!! :P lol
    Thekrazycouponlady.com has 101 videos on every store! I coupon a lot of baby wipes for my classroom. Cvs is the best, start there. They will run a promotion where diapers are $9 a pack, and when you spend $30, you get $10 back. Get 3 packs of diapers and a one pack of wipes. Get internet coupons and at least $2 a pack and you end up paying $4-5 a pack. I couponed a trunk full for my BFF when she had her baby last summer. The krazy coupon lady works out all the details for you, and has links to coupons. My favorite thing is that they put a little symbol next to the deals to tell you whether it's a good price or not, so there's almost no brain power involved besides make the list, hit print, and go to the store.
    This is amazing. So sad we don't have this in England!
  • Options
    We love Costco diapers.

DD was 7#10oz and wore newborn diapers for 4-6 weeks and newborn clothes for that long.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I second, third, fourth---10th...the cloth diaper suggestions. I use grovia and love them

• Options
    My newborn went through about 12-15 diapers a day, and up to 20 when he had tummy troubles. Also, they grow so fast that you have to make sure you have size 1 and 2, not just newborns. Those suckers were only good for a week or two before we jumped to 1's. Try for a small case of newborn size (maybe 100-ish), then a large case of 1's and another of 2's (200+). That should suffice for more than the first month. You may even make it to 2 months.

Babies will vary on how many they go through a day, but as long as you maybe have some cloth diapers for back-ups, that will extend you a little while. 
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I would love to cloth diaper, hubs isn't on board.  We travel once a month from Kuwait to UAE and don't have access to laundry there so we would still have to do disposable for some parts, but I agree with the cloth, it's just impossible to do when one spouse doesn't want to.  Thanks for all the suggestions on approx how many though- I'll definitely be stocking up with coupons when I go back to America over the summer after delivery and will ship to me, I bet it'll still be crazy cheaper than having to buy all new with no coupons.
  • Options
    VikingGirl12VikingGirl12 member
    edited November 2015
    DS was in size 6's by 11 months. He didn't stay in a size for any time at all. We had to exchange all the diapers bought for us. He never wore NB.

In the first few months we went through about 10-12 per day. By 6 months I think it was closer to 6-8. By 12 months it was around 5 and it hasn't really changed much since then. He's 20mo now and I still change him about 5 times.. I could Prob do less but he poops a lot. Hoping to pitty train soon!

Also, WISH we'd done cloth!
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my other two I got one box of newborns, and two big boxes of size one to a start with. My babies are bug (over 8 lbs) but they still used newborn for the first month or so. All kids grow differently, do there's no way to know for sure what you'll need

BabyFruit Ticker