High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

UPDATE: Vent: Drop from 46th to 20th percentile in 3 weeks + oligohydraminos with SUA baby

mac-n-cheesymac-n-cheesy member
edited November 2015 in High-Risk Pregnancy
So close to the end and we just found out yesterday that our LO went from the 46th percentile to the 20th percentile in the past three weeks. I was supposed to have my growth scan tomorrow but at my regular OB appointment last week my doctor forced radiology to due an emergency US to check the amniotic fluid level, Doppler velocimetry (SUA baby) and growth. I hadn't heard anything the same day so I assumed things were not too bad. I already go in for twice weekly NST's and now those will be BPP's so they can keep an eye on the fluid. The NST's were for real regular contractions that earned me 6 trips to L&D in a month, multiple Terbutaline shots and Nifedipine every 6 hours for three weeks (now stopped).
My OB (chief of the dept.) has now told me if my LO shows any sign of distress or if the fluid goes down anymore when I go for the BPP's, I'll be having my little girl that day. He said going over 38 weeks is absolutely off the table now due to the fluid and growth drop (as well as my significant weight loss that now puts me underweight for a non-pregnant person and I'm 35 weeks pregnant).
Just kind of having a freak out moment and trying to stay positive that I've made it this far without major problems (besides entire-pregnancy HG, migraines, etc.).
I'm very worried something will go wrong and I won't realize it. We are so incredibly ready for this baby to be here and so attached I would not be able to handle something scary happening. I can't even think about something bad happening without feeling ill. Sorry just needed to vent because DH and I are not telling our parents what is going on because his mother will flip out and the whole entire family will know.
And now being in bed rest is giving me too much time to think. Ugh, I thought we were in the clear!!!!
Thank you for anyone who read this I just needed to get it off my chest :-S

Re: UPDATE: Vent: Drop from 46th to 20th percentile in 3 weeks + oligohydraminos with SUA baby

• Options
    I went through a similar scare and my water broke naturally at 37 w. 6 d. Just stay on best rest, keeping walking to a minimum (my doctor told me that your leg muscles are so big that they pull blood away from the baby) and drink extra fluids. Sometimes it depends on where they measure, like anything with it ultrasound, but my amniotic fluid level would fluctuate week-to-week and they even admitted that sometimes it's hard to tell what pockets are even amniotic fluid (on a regular, level I ultrasound machine).
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this. Try to stay positive although I know its hard. You drs ar monitoring you well and will take care of you and the baby. I will be thinking of you.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @PlainJane8350 and @smb722 thank you for the kind words and support.
    Had my appointment on Wednesday the 28th with my OB and my LO was non-reactive on her NST until they buzzed the heck ot of her so I spent the whole day in L&D being monitored. She was actually 19th percentile....apparently my doctor rounds up :-S. They couldn't do a growth scan because my previous one was 6 days before and they need at least two weeks to compare but her fluid was up a bit and the Doppler velocimetry was reassuring.
    Just trying to make it at least two more weeks. I have another NST this afternoon (1:30am here and can't sleep) so hopefully I can stay out of L&D this time!
  • Options
    My doctor assured me that, should something go wrong, that they will catch it. Since they're monitoring it, this isn't something that will happen over night. Just drink, drink, drink and rest as much as possible, on your left side as long as you can take it. You'll definitely make it two weeks, you already have signs that things are improving.

Also, take the percentiles with a grain of salt. I don't know if it's the ultrasounds again or what, but they told me that my baby was in the high 80%, almost 90% until I started having problems. Then she started measuring smaller and smaller, of course. She was fine.

They told both my sister and one of my friends that their babies were huge! I don't remember my sister's, but I know my friends baby was 2 lbs. less that what ultrasound measurements predicted.

I know that these are examples in the opposite direction, with the exception of mine, but they just go off of measurements and, like I said, that's all based on the quality/level of the ultrasound machine and how the tech measures. Try not to worry and focus on getting ready for baby! Get the nursery just right and prepare for the hospital, it'll be here before you know it. Exciting!
  • Options
    Thank you @PlainJane8350 you are always so kind and positive. I definitely have heard so many anecdotes of US percentiles and weights being wildly off! It's kind of discouraging that it all depends on the tech one may get that day because it's so subjective. Being at the hospital so much does give me piece of mind. We know she'll definitely be small since my belly is measuring 28cm at best still and it should be around 35cm. I can tell she's taking what she needs from my body though because my body is thinning out but my belly is slowly growing.
    Just a few more weeks. The PTL scares starting at 31 weeks kicked me into high gear so literally everything is ready and I have nothing to do.
    I made DH take me to get a bunch of supplies for a home-made mobile to occupy my brain and hands!
  • Options
    So my own body weight has dropped down to 119 lbs soaking wet (I'm 5'8") and this is over a 6 pound drop in two weeks. Our LO is now in the 12th percentile as of yesterday and comparing the US from two weeks ago to yesterday she has only gained a few ounces. I'm 36+6 today and feel incredibly guilty that my baby is not thriving, although I'm aware I've done everything to try and stay healthy but absolutely nothing is working. DH and I are so worried my doctor is going to wait too long to intervene and something bad will happen.
    At my appointment yesterday they had to buzz my LO twice to get her to pass the NST, fluid was low-normal, cord Doppler velocimetry looked good but obviously the lack of growth is highly concerning. My doctor said if she was below the 10th percentile they would intervene. I now have 3 BPP's a week and 1-2 appts and I've been sent to the birthing center every single time I see my doctor to have an official US in radiology to check everything for the last month. My doctor is driving me insane because he says I'm not dehydrated because there are no ketones in my urine, yet it's the color of dark apple cider, I can't keep more than 300-500 calories down at most a day and maybe just under a liter of fluid if I'm lucky.
    I don't see how it's possible to lose 6 pounds in 2 weeks this late in pregnancy when I started out at only 115 and them to not be concerned. Obviously if my LO has only gained a few ounces in two weeks she is NOT growing like she should. I get every day inside is important for development but at what point will they just say my body is officially crashing and induce me?!? All of this has been brought up to my doctor ad nauseum and he is still saying no longer than 38 weeks. At my next appt with him on Wednesday I'll be 37+6. Also, the SUA issue has me scared because it's another high risk issue thrown in the mix too. I feel like by next Wednesday I won't even have enough reserve to make it through labor and delivery. Ahhhh! Just so frustrated I needed somewhere to vent because DH is very worried about the LO and myself and I don't want to worry him more.
    Thank you for listening and sorry for being a stressed out whiny pregnant lady but I think it's somewhat justified at this point :(
  • Options
    You are not being whiny! This is some seriously crazy high-level stress. I can't imaging anyone being in your shoes and not freaking out.

Thinking of you!
  • Options
    No advice, but I sympathize :(. I have HG and my last urine showed high protein and high ketones as well as an unmeasurable pH because it was so high and no one even mentioned any of it. I'm 39&2 and they won't even do an US to check fluid because she's still active and has a good HR. I'm sorry you're dealing with all this, the fear that something will happen is crippling.
  • Options
    @alanna3622 thank you for your sympathy and making me feel not unreasonable.
    @ewhitledge I have/had HG this whole pregnancy too but it seriously is rearing its ugly head like never before these past three weeks. I get the whole "well her HR/HB look great" thing from my OB and the on call docs in L&D every time I'm sent there...just wish they took in the big picture of what is happening. "Crippling" is the perfect word for the fear and anxiety I feel about all of this. It's maddening. Thank you as well for the sympathy. Hope your LO comes out soon and healthy; you're two weeks+ ahead of me and that seems like such a vast distance at the moment!
  • Options
    @lynem29 Are you drinking protein/high calorie shakes?
  • Options
    @lynem29 how are you doing?
  • Options
    @MamaHolland nearly everything that goes in my mouth comes up literally 10 minutes later or less. The only things that sometimes stay down are apples dipped in Greek yogurt and pretzels. Any liquid, even sips, will get the vomiting going instantly.
    I'm scheduled to be induced in 6 hours since I'm now 38 weeks, LO's baseline was considerably lower on her NST yesterday and was almost induced yesterday, and I'm now down more weight. Started @ 115, now 117 and I'm 5'8". It's time; I've been dry heaving/vomiting all night. Still. Can 11am please be here already? I told them I'd come in at 12:01am (my OB was really pushing for 38 weeks, which I totally get but was just getting scared about my body not being a very good environment)....but 11am it is!
  • Options
    You poor thing! So glad that you are going to meet LO today. It will be such a relief for you both to have her out - and able to finally and safely feed and nurture her.