July 2016 Moms

So Sick - Is this normal?

I am 6 weeks pregnant and extremely sick. I spent two days not able to keep anything down and ended up in the Infusion Center getting IV fluids and meds. Two after that, taking Zofran around the clock, I am still nauseous all day long. I am even waking up at night feeling sick. 

I'm able to keep food and liquids down now but am non-stop nauseous. I am strictly eating from the BRAT diet because there's no way I'd keep down any "real" food. This has been going on for 5 days now. And prenatal vitamins? Forget it. They make me so ill. So pretty much not getting any vitamins.. 

I am not functioning. I work FT but I'm pretty much useless. Thankfully my husband has been taking care of things at the house but this can't be right, can it? Do other people feel sick their entire day? I'm okay with nausea here and there but the entire day?!

I've called the doctor and talked to the OB nurse and she pretty much just welcomed me to pregnancy, told me to keep taking the Zofran and suck it up. Is this really my only option? How am I supposed to get through the next 6 weeks like this?

Re: So Sick - Is this normal?

• Sadly I do think that's the best you can do if you are already on zofran :(

As for the vitamins, have you tried the gummies? The pills make me sick too, and if I take the gummies right before or right after eating, it's fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Yes, basically, that's your only option unless you have hyperemesis gravidarum.  Though it sounds unlikely since you're able to keep food and liquids down.  I am constantly nauseous, all day long.  I also work full time and have another child to take care of.  I think a lot of people are in the same boat. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you're feeling awful. Agree with PPs that so long as you're able to keep down some foods/liquids... Zofran is the best they can do. Make sure to keep yourself hydrated as much as possible.
  • Sorry you feel so bad. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're doing everything you can. Hopefully this won't last past the first trimester for you.
  • What about diclegis in addition to Zofran?

Byw, this was me for my first pregnancy. So I totally get it. I am sorry.
  • I am right there with you girl. Sick as a dog, and wonder constantly if it's normal. Taking the Rx but still sick all day and night. Sucking on ice cubes and my hubs rubbing my back helps a bit. Sending prayers! Xx
  • Yep. I completely understand. I've had to get an IV twice. My doctor gave me zofran as well and it does absolutely nothing. I have another appointment where he is going to give me something else to try but I can't remember what it's called. I'm barely keeping myself hydrated because I can't hold anything down but I've been told the same thing! It's just pregnancy at its finest!
  • So I'm taking Diclegis and it is helping a bit I think, though I still feel like I am seasick all day... But less likely to feel like I'm right about to vomit all the time. 

My understanding is that Diclegis is the step before Zofran, and is usually not as effective as Zofran, so I don't know if it would help, but who knows it might be worth asking... The side effects are a bit annoying at first (feeling drowsy all day long), but it's been over a week now and it doesn't bother me as much anymore. Just wanted to share my experience in case it's helpful... Good luck, this is so hard, we'll get through it!
  • I'm so sorry! Some people have very severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. It's sucks, but yes, it is "normal."

You sound like me - severe m/s bordering on mild HG. Hyperemesis is no joke and usually requires multiple hospitalizations, IV meds, sometimes stomach pumps and PICC lines for constant treatment. I'm not there, thank goodness, but I am severely nauseous all day and if I'm not up on my meds, I'm vomiting, too.

I'm on Diclegis and Zofran right now. Ask your OB for a Diclegis script! It's a newly approved med specifically for pregnancy nausea. You take it before bed, because it makes you drowsy, but once you're accustomed to it, you can take it during the day, too. I really think it's helping my nausea. I'm still barely functional, but I can eat and drink and care for my kids well enough. If your insurance won't approve Diclegis, but some OTC unisom (doxylamine succinate) and vitamin b6 and take 25mg of each before bed. That's all Diclegis is.

I also take B6 and B1 vitamins in the morning, and I'm using a magnesium oil spray after showers, which is also supposed to help.

Feel better soon!
  • Yeah, pretty much. Morning sickness isn't just in the morning and isn't just throwing up. It's feeling nauseous for a good while. It lasted through about 16w with both boys. I wear sea bands to take the edge off. The new RX is unisom + b6. Because it's just those two things it's usually expensive to get filled since you can walk to the aisle and buy two pills to make up that one med.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your input. I just don't know what to think nor could I imagine having to care for other children feeling like this. My heart goes out to those of you that are feeling this and have all that additional responsibility. This is my first and I've not told my family yet. I feel like I have no one to ask for advice. And well, my husband doesn't know either. We're the blind leading the blind in this household. lol! 

Feeling a bit down about it all. We've tried for 2+ years and were so excited to be pregnant and now I'm being a buzz kill, getting sick all the time.. 

I just really was concerned something might be wrong. I feel like the doctor doesn't believe me when I say I throw up all day long. I have my first appointment on Monday so we'll see how that goes. If they say one word about my weight, so help me God! Yes, I may have dropped some weight but I've been getting sick so much. What do you expect? I am TRYING to eat. My body just doesn't agree all the time. BTW.. I think I'm just cranky today.. Hopefully I won't be so moody when I see them on Monday. :)

Thanks again everyone for the support. 
  • Good Lord, my name is KimUnder17?? I am not under 17!! "Under" is part of my maiden name. Not sure where the 17 came from. Did I make that up?? I'm a mess.
    I just laughed way too hard at this....
  • Yeah, being sick makes it hard to enjoy the pregnancy. That's just sort of how it is though.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That was me my last pregnancy. I am 5'7" ... I am normally.around 112lbs. I dropped to 99lbs. I looked terrible. I felt terrible. I finally got to keeping stuff down and started to gain weight...but I would throw up on and off the whole pregnancy. So yeah..it could be normal for you :(
  • I'm that way with all 3 of my previous pregnancies. But this one is way way worse. I'm constantly sick and I don't like taking meds. They make me pass out. And mind you I take a quarter of a pill. I'm on promethazine 25mg and they help but knock you smooth out. I sure hope it goes away when I get into my second trimester. Hope that for all of us ladies. :)
  • Yup being sick is normal sadly. I've been right there with you for the past two weeks. I have MS at night and unisom and B6 were recommended by my dr to me and have been a life saver! But be warned unisom will knock you out! Also I have found that sucking on hard candy like jolly ranchers has helped me when I'm feeling nauseous
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing