April 2016 Moms
Options

Gallstones during pregnancy?

I think I might have gallstones. I'm just wondering what kind of treatment options are available for it during pregnancy.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Gallstones during pregnancy?

• Options
    I'm sure it's different for everyone, as there are a few different ways that gallstones can cause the blockages that in turn cause the pain. You should check with your doctor though because there are plenty of women that think they have gallstones when in reality it is the worst acid reflux they could ever imagine. 
    I had gallstones during my first pregnancy and my doctor told me that I simply had to wait until after DD was born to have surgery to remove my gallbladder. They gave me pain medication when I had terrible flairups, but that was after me trying a warm shower to relax, riding around in the car (a trick that my mom helped me to find that for some reason worked 50 % of the time!) and anything and everything else we could think of that might take my mind off the pain and help me not scream bloody murder. If all else failed though, I went to the ER (my problems always started between midnight and 2 am) explained that I had gallstones and that I'm pregnant, and they would give me pain meds that would take most of the pain away so that I could go home and hopefully get some rest. 
    If you do have gallstones, I'm sorry! The pain from gallstones was worse than labor pain for me, and it isn't something that I would wish on anyone. Goodluck!

• Options
    @randilea0110 - I'm hoping it's not gallstones. The pain is very minimal, like a running cramp, but pretty constant, always in the same spot, radiating to my right shoulder.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DD I thought I had them too. Told my doctor about it and he said to change my diet. The last half of my pregnancy I had a very strict diet because of that, swelling, and hypertension. I noticed if I ever did try to eat something my diet said no too ( I.e. Fried food, to much sodium, etc) I would get a lot of pain so I stopped doing it because it just wasn't worth the pain. I also took a lot of baths and showers to help myself relax.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    NessaR003NessaR003 member
    edited November 2015
    I just found out I have gallstones. Last night my husband had to take me to the emergency room because I was in ridiculous amount of pain. Turn out I have gallstones and was told they can only manage my pain. I can't have them removed until after baby is born unless I have an emergency. This is going to be along 5 months of that is the case.
  • Options
    @kielpinskim Maybe it's a referred gas pain? Next time you feel it, you could try taking some antacids. I truly hope that's all it is for you, because gallstones are SO awful. The first gallstone attack I ever had (not long after my first child was born, actually), I had crushing pain and pressure in my chest... I thought I was having a heart attack. There was definitely some shoulder pain involved when I had attacks (I think usually the shoulder pain was a precurser to the chest pain/pressure) but I think if you're having a gallstone attack, the pain will be so bad that you'll decide to seek medical help. :( I went to the ER 2-3 times with mine, they tried dissolving the stones with medication but then with the last trip to the ER they just admitted me for surgery to remove the gallbladder.

For @NessaR003 and those of you who are experiencing gallstones now, I'm so sorry... It's really rough.
  • Options
    I had a gallbladder attack due to stones while 25 weeks pregnant with twins. I had laproscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder at 26 weeks. The second trimester is the best time for the procedure to be done during pregnancy. Everything went well and I feel like a totally new person now!
  • Options
    Unfortunately surgery during pregnancy can be difficult due to the use of anesthetic gases which are used to put you to sleep aren't good for the fetus. Change in diet is the best and sometimes problems go away after the baby is born.
  • Options
    tlc121885 said:

I had a gallbladder attack due to stones while 25 weeks pregnant with twins. I had laproscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder at 26 weeks. The second trimester is the best time for the procedure to be done during pregnancy. Everything went well and I feel like a totally new person now!

It's helpful to know that you can have safe surgery to remove issue in second trimester. I still have lots of discomfort and eating is still a problem so not sure what will happen. Having lost 7 lbs, being dehydrated from all the vomiting, and still having swelling and pain scares me. I know my doctors have recommended surgery, let's see what surgeon decides.