Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Is my 2 year old understanding me??

My oldest daughter just turned 2 years October 12th and our doctor thinks she's behind. She understands a few things we say, but she won't respond if we ask her a question. Her ped wants to see her in 3 months to see whether or not she needs speech therapy. I talk to her all day and ask her things, but usually she just stare blankly at me, or just ignore me. Anyone else having this issue?
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Best Answer

Answers

• That doesn't sound right for a 2 year old. Do you think it's odd that she just stares blankly at you when you ask her something? Do you see that as being a little off? Does she do things you ask of her like go get that cup or throw this garbage away?

She should be saying at least 20-30 words by age 2 if not more. I'd get her evaluated ASAP.

• Loading the player...
  • That doesn't sound right for a 2 year old. Do you think it's odd that she just stares blankly at you when you ask her something? Do you see that as being a little off? Does she do things you ask of her like go get that cup or throw this garbage away?

She should be saying at least 20-30 words by age 2 if not more. I'd get her evaluated ASAP.

Yes I find it very odd that she just stares at me. She can follow a few commands like, "Bring me your cup so I can give you juice." And she can talk, but she's not responding to my questions like I thought she should be.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Yes I find it very odd that she just stares at me. She can follow a few commands like, "Bring me your cup so I can give you juice." And she can talk, but she's not responding to my questions like I thought she should be.

Oh ok it's the whole not responding thing that is the problem. Interesting. I'd get her evaluated for sure. Can't hurt!
  • My son will be 2 in a month and is having issues expressing words. He just qualified for speech therapy. I would call and have her evaluated-the sooner the better to help catch up if needed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd get into early intervention for an evaluation NOW! The programs are usually free.