June 2016 Moms

Free-Cell Blood Test(Down syndrome)

Has anyone done the free-cell test for chromosomal abnormalities such as down syndrome? I did my test last Wednesday and I am waiting on the results. My doc said to call on Friday to see if they are back. The test can also confirm gender. I did the Natera panorama test. I am so on edge waiting to make sure the baby is ok. Its nerve wrecking. Anyone else take this test yet?

Re: Free-Cell Blood Test(Down syndrome)

• I didn't..my office wanted like $350 from me for it. I opted for the NT scan instead.
  • I'm having blood drawn for the Panorama today. I actually spoke to the local Natera rep directly and she said results will be back to my Dr.'s office within 7-10 days (not biz days). I'm looking forward to the results and putting one more "iffy" thing behind me :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Bear14+ said:

I didn't..my office wanted like $350 from me for it. I opted for the NT scan instead.

Mine too. Well, the testing company charged $350 if you weren't high risk, so they passed that on to the patient. I wish we were able to afford to get it. Hope it all comes back healthy!
  • Oh wow! I was told that my insurance would cover it, but I have state insurance. I hope it does. I was online and saw some people received $8000 bills even when insurance is supposed to cover. I hope that doesn't happen to me.
  • aiellomp said:

I'm having blood drawn for the Panorama today. I actually spoke to the local Natera rep directly and she said results will be back to my Dr.'s office within 7-10 days (not biz days). I'm looking forward to the results and putting one more "iffy" thing behind me :)

Im so impatient, I call every day to see if it came back early. they are going to block my number. Lol
  • It's normally for high risk or women 35yrs and older. Otherwise I don't think it's covered. 
     BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got it with my DS and it was so nice to know early on that everything was good.  I found out Monday that they can't do it with triplets, which is disappointing.  At 40, it was nice to have the peace of mind.
  • My insurance won't cover it unless the results from my NT scan come back with poor results. I didn't have it done with either of my two pregnancies. Also since I've had two boys I was told that results for sex will come back as "boy, inconclusive" since the free cell DNA remains in the mothers blood for a long time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im a little concerned because I was not offered an NT scan with this. I wonder if they are planning that depending on the results of this blood test.

• I had my blood drawn for the panorama on Monday, they said wait 2 weeks if I haven't heard. I'm trying not to think about it, but I'm with you, it's very nerve wrecking, hang in there!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Im a little
    concerned because I was not offered an NT scan with this. I wonder if they are
    planning that depending on the results of this blood test.

At my office I had a choice to do the cell free test or the NT scan. From how my OB explained, they check for the same things but the cell free test has a higher accuracy.
  • Bear14+ said:

Im a little concerned because I was not offered an NT scan with this. I wonder if they are planning that depending on the results of this blood test.

At my office I had a choice to do the cell free test or the NT scan. From how my OB explained, they check for the same things but the cell free test has a higher accuracy.
    Oh Ok. That makes sense. 
  • I did Panorama with my first and Verifi with this one. I am not over 35 or high risk. I had to pay $200 out of pocket for Panoram and $99 for Verifi, the companies that offer the tests do a good job of off-setting the cost. They both assured me both times if my insurance denied the claim (which they did), I would not be stuck with the cost (and I wasn't).  It's a nerve-wracking wait but worth it in my mind for peace of mind for the rest of the pregnancy. Good luck!

• I'm having the materni-T21 next week. It's the same thing. Then I have an NT the week after that. I'll be 35 when the baby is born so that's why they were ordered for me. I'm excited to know that everything is ok.
  • My insurance won't cover it unless the results from my NT scan come back with poor results. I didn't have it done with either of my two pregnancies. Also since I've had two boys I was told that results for sex will come back as "boy, inconclusive" since the free cell DNA remains in the mothers blood for a long time.
    I tried to find more info on this online...Could you direct me somewhere helpful?
  • I just did a quick search of this... I have an almost 2 year old son and just got my InformaSeq results back that said I am having another boy. From what I can tell online (and could be wrong.. lol) the test uses cell free fetal DNA which goes away quickly and is no longer detectable 2 hours after birth. It said fragments of fetal DNA linger for the rest of your life, but the cell free fetal DNA goes away quickly.
  • I did the VisibiliT screening last Wed and got the call exactly one week later (yesterday). All results came back clear and we found out we're having a girl!!

Cost was $140 without help from insurance and I'm under 35. This was decidedly the best option for us.
  • I did it last Monday and got the results on Friday! I was so surprised by how quick the results were that I started stressing they mixed up my blood with someone elses! Insurance covered mine 100% because I'm 42. My results were less than 1 in 10,000 chance for Down's syndrome and I'm having a girl!
  • Don't know if you'll be able to read the file attached. Free Cell DNA does NOT remain in the body for a long time, so you can expect reliable results from your NIPT even if you've been pregnant before.
  • So, my test results were sent to my doctor 10 minutes ago. BUT my doctors office is CLOSED as of 2 minutes ago. They couldn’t tell me if they sent real results or inconclusive so I have to wait to call my doc office tomorrow. My patience doesn’t work well under these conditions.  

• I had to do a genetic counseling class before I was allowed to take the test and asked the question about how accurate results are if you've had previous pregnancies, and i was told the same thing your research came up with-the cell free Dna that is taken is only from the current pregnancy. Previous pregnancies do NOT affect results.
  • That is very good to know! Thanks :)
  • Don't want to hijack the thread but quick question for all you ladies who had the test done.  If you had it done due to a family history of trisomys, how close was the relative with the trisomy (if you don't mind me asking)?  My mom just informed me that my dad's cousin had Downs and I have no idea if that's close enough to cause worry.  My doctor is closed through monday so I'll give them a call monday morning but I would love to know if I'm just overcautious here or is there is actual cause for concern.  
  • I took the test. I'm terrified waiting for the results. I try to tell myself if it were the 20-week ultrasound I wouldn't be scared. But it's not working. I'm excited to find out the sex, but then I feel guilty for not concentrating every cell in my body on how scared I am!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited November 2015

Don't want to hijack the thread but quick question for all you ladies who had the test done.  If you had it done due to a family history of trisomys, how close was the relative with the trisomy (if you don't mind me asking)?  My mom just informed me that my dad's cousin had Downs and I have no idea if that's close enough to cause worry.  My doctor is closed through monday so I'll give them a call monday morning but I would love to know if I'm just overcautious here or is there is actual cause for concern.  

I, personally, wouldn't say it's a HUGE cause for concern, but it's a bit concerning....

Just my completely unknowledgable oppinion. I had my test because of past losses and age. Yay being 35!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Boonhilde said:
    I, personally, wouldn't say it's a HUGE cause for concern, but it's a bit concerning.... Just my completely unknowledgable oppinion. I had my test because of past losses and age. Yay being 35!
    Thanks (I think that was directed at me).  I'm only 25 so I'm considered low risk and wasn't planning to spend the money but the "oh, you know dad's cousin had down's, right?" thrown into the conversation kind of took me off guard and now I'm not sure if I should be worried.  I'm likely getting extra tests due to my aunt having spina bifida (which is how it came up) so either my family just has a whole host of health history issues or I'm worrying too much, not sure which it is.  
  • @Sgoldberg247 my doctor told me it has more to do with age then it does genetics.....I wouldn't be too concerned
  • I got it with my DS and it was so nice to know early on that everything was good.  I found out Monday that they can't do it with triplets, which is disappointing.  At 40, it was nice to have the peace of mind.

So obgyn can't do that test for multiples?? I am having twins and anxious to be tested in a week.
  • @Sgoldberg247 my doctor told me it has more to do with age then it does genetics.....I wouldn't be too concerned

Thanks, that's what I figured but I remembered seeing something about family history of downs on one of the papers we did at our first appointment. I assumed I was just over reacting but its good to hear it from someone else.
  • @RMM1204 several of our twin moms on my IVF board have had a blood test, so there's at least one that can be done for twins! :)

Thanks, that's what I figured but I remembered seeing something about family history of downs on one of the papers we did at our first appointment. I assumed I was just over reacting but its good to hear it from someone else.
    If it makes you feel better, my OB told me only immediate family is a cause for concern. I have diabetes, cancer, heart disease in extended family, like greats and second cousins etc. Every time I'd answer a family history question with a more distant relative than sibling, parent, grandparent, cousin, they'd let me know it didn't count for family history.
  • I'm 37 and want to have the testing but I find it all to be a minefield. Going to the Dr Monday so will try to ask my questions but I'm so bad at asking all my questions even if I write them down. Does anyone know of a link that lists out the test options, names they might be called, what they test for and when you can have them?
  • TunieBee said:

I did Panorama with my first and Verifi with this one. I am not over 35 or high risk. I had to pay $200 out of pocket for Panoram and $99 for Verifi, the companies that offer the tests do a good job of off-setting the cost. They both assured me both times if my insurance denied the claim (which they did), I would not be stuck with the cost (and I wasn't).  It's a nerve-wracking wait but worth it in my mind for peace of mind for the rest of the pregnancy. Good luck!

How long did it take to get your verifi results? I'm on day 9 or waiting and going crazy!
  • jas060515jas060515 member
    edited November 2015
    I think it varies and its definitely hit or miss as I had the panorama done with my last baby (6months old now) and I got the results in less than a week. Got the blood drawn on Monday and heard from the Dr on Friday. I have to have it done again next week and I am praying that I have the same luck this time around. Waiting for those results is so nerve wrecking!
  • TunieBee said:

I did Panorama with my first and Verifi with this one. I am not over 35 or high risk. I had to pay $200 out of pocket for Panoram and $99 for Verifi, the companies that offer the tests do a good job of off-setting the cost. They both assured me both times if my insurance denied the claim (which they did), I would not be stuck with the cost (and I wasn't).  It's a nerve-wracking wait but worth it in my mind for peace of mind for the rest of the pregnancy. Good luck!

How long did it take to get your verifi results? I'm on day 9 or waiting and going crazy!
    Exactly one week--Monday to Monday. You may want to call your doc's office. Perhaps they have the results but haven't gotten around to calling yet?

• I didnt do this test. They have a high risk of false positives and if something were wrong with my baby it wouldnt make a difference to me anyways... i would love to find out the gender though lol
  • I think everyone is allowed an opinion on this. This is probably one of the most debated tests out there. I actually have down syndrome twins in my extended family, and have worked with handicapped kids most of my life. My husband and I know no matter the results we will not care, just prepares you. I know people make tough decisions based off the results of this test and I do feel for each one them. But I will not feel sorry for your loss if you terminate because you feel you can not handle a disabled child. Obviously there are cases were it could be harmful to continue and viability issues and I have all the sympathy in the world for those mom's. I know I am probably going to catch a lot of comments from this but again it is just my opinion. God only gives us what we can handle, and if He feels you can handle a special child then you can handle it. Every child I have worked with makes me thank God for the loving parents they have, the smiles on their faces makes me know they are happy.

I actually know someone who was told the baby would more than likely have down syndrome, her little boy is now 2 and is healthy no down syndrome. False positives do happen.
  • @HBamama2B my stats came from my OB. There is no need to start a debate about this, because my comment was not insensitive at all. A good friend of mine had the test and was told her child had CF and he is almost 1 and doesnt have it. My comment was not directed toward anyone, i was just sharing my thoughts. And the test is for genetic problems (down syndrome, disability, etc) and no it would NOT make any difference to me if my child was born with a disability. I would love my child and care for my child either way.