April 2015 Moms

First Night Away

I work for a small business from home and our Christmas Party is December 12th. We've recently moved, so my husband and I would be staying with my bosses house afterwards rather than driving 3 hrs back home after the party.

We are temporarily living with my in laws until we can find a place that we like to rent. My mother in law would be taking care of my daughter when we are gone that night.

My problem is that I breastfeed and my baby almost completely refuses to take a bottle and she is nursed to sleep. Because I work from home she is used to me always being there. I don't ever go out because she loses her mind if I do, since day 1. Two weeks ago my husband and I went out to eat and had to come home early because my daughter was SO UPSET. It was terrible and I felt so bad. Her grandmother takes good care of her and I trust her completely but she is nervous about me leaving overnight too. I don't know what to do.

I'd really like to go to the party because I NEED A BREAK and I deserve one, I know you guys understand! If I can't go to the party overnight or at all, that is totally fine with me. I really wouldn't care. However, I would like to be able to go on a date with my husband or get my hair done without having to turn around and come back within an hour or two. What can I do? Thanks for your help!

Re: First Night Away

• The more you go out the mote she will get used to you being gone & coming back. My advice is have your MIL watch her for short periods first, run to cvs/wallgreens, go for a 15 min walk/jog, go get a manicure. Do tgat for a few times then increase to being gone for an hour +. Your daughter will get used to you being away & returning. Then see how she does with that & decide closer to the party if you think she can handle it. Also once shes used to you going out then go out for a quick outing around a feeding time, have your MIL give her a bottle, if she refuses then you cone back to the house & nurse her.
  • I would start leaving her now for a couple hours at a time so she gets used to it. Otherwise your going to be at the party and get the call that she's freaking out so bad and you'll be a nervous wreck driving home. If you start now and do it once a week and then increase it to 2-3 times a week I think you'll find in a few weeks she'll be ok... Good luck!!