2nd Trimester
Options

Safe meds to take for cough?!!

Please help! I'm struggling to sleep because of this nasty cough I have. I don't have a cold or a fever, just a sore throat that causes me to cough. It's been like this for 4 days now! I tried cough drops (do not work for me). I just want this cough to go away!!! Is Mucinex DM safe to take? I am currently 24 weeks & 5 days pregnant & a first time mommy!
Thanks!

Re: Safe meds to take for cough?!!

• Options
    My doctor told me I could take robitusin, but I felt better enough by the time I asked to not take anything
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A list of safe meds from my doctor ..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have the same thing. I've been taking Robitussen DM during the day and last night I did Vicks Vapor rub on my neck, chest, and the bottom of my feet with socks on (I hate sleeping with socks on but I was desperate). I've felt soooo much better today! Hope you feel better soon
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    My Drs list says Delsym is okay and it was a lifesaver for me last week.
  • Options
    My doctor and the pharmacist (who was very reluctant to recommend anything) said plain Robitussin or plain Mucinex is safe. They are the same thing. They don't stop coughing, but help you get congestion up. I found a steamy shower, vapor rub, and a vaporizer all really helped. I had my cough for almost a month, so my doc said to start taking my prescription of Singular again, which really helped.
  • Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited November 2015
    My doctor gave me steriods for my cough nothing otc helped. I took robotusin, mucinex, Tylenol cold stuff, and what ever else had the word cough and congestion both on it. My doctor said if moms not healthy baby is not healthy and to try anything otc. Just in moderations of it.... If your into essential oils peppermint oil helps better the vicks. I would put a little dap on my chest or in a pot a boiling water and breathe it in. Helped alot!!!! I don't believe in the oils but this one did make a difference with the chest pain and congestion from coughing.
  • Options
    After several nights of waking myself and my husband up with my coughing (and coughing so hard I made myself vomit on two separate occasions), we bought a warm mist humidifier last night. I used it with Vicks and slept the whole night for the first time in months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me: 39 DH: 41
    Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
    1st Date: 5/27/06
    Engaged: 9/16/13
    Married: 6/20/15
    BFP: 9/2/15
    CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
    EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I was told Rubitusson DM is cool to take. So I haven taken that once. I was also given the ok to take CHILDREN'S Mucinex for congestion, since it's the liquid form, and a little easier to balance the dosage. And I have had three different doctors tell me that it's ok to take. As long as you don't over do it. But normally, I take Sinus and Allergy Benadryl for all that gunk in the chest, and for coughing. And Tylenol for pain.