Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

All test have been negative

I don't know what to do next. 3 mmc. All blood work has been negative. All scans from the d/c have showed nothing abnormal. My HSG test was today and also showed nothing. So I guess we are back to square one. Pray, trust God, and have sex. Lol. I just dont know what to do anymore. We meet with the obgyn next Wednesday to see if he has anything else he wants to try but I feel like we keep hitting road blocks.

Re: All test have been negative

• tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited November 2015
    I'm so sorry that you've gone through this not just once, but three times.

Did your doctor keep tissue to examine after your third D&C? I know most doctors will do this after the third but I couldn't catch from your post if there was testing done on the tissue itself.

I've seen different cases where uterine fibroids are to blame for recurrent miscarriages. These are sometimes not visible when you are or have recently been pregnant as the uterus stretches out for baby. These can cause restricted blood flow to baby and could be a cause for mmc, especially if they happen around the same time. If this is the case, the pregnancy could be successful after they're removed.

ETA: has your doc checked your progesterone in early pregnancy? Some women need progesterone supplements in the first tri to support the pregnancy.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm so sorry you have been through this - I honestly can't imagine enduring it three times, having only one myself (but it was our first pregnancy, no children prior).  I don't know what the future holds.

I think the suggestion above of tissue examination is a good thing to ask about.  If they did not save tissue and your bloodwork is clean...I wish I had another idea.  Your plan of trusting, praying and having sex sounds logical. :)  Stay strong - you deserve good news and a happy, easy pregnancy in your future.  Will be thinking of you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I really admire your strength to keep trying! I just had my 2nd mmc and I'm so afraid to try again. Did you have testing done after your 2nd or did you wait until after the 3rd?
  • mrsmommyamrsmommya member
    edited November 2015
    With a healthy 3 year old I would be asking about testing if I were to have another miscarriage.  I would hope they offered testing on the tissue itself.

• NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited November 2015
    As others have said your strength is admirable. I cannot even imagine having to go through this heartbreak 3 times. I'm so very sorry for your losses.

I hope you get your take-home rainbow baby soon. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks you guys. I don't know about strength I just have to keep telling myself that I have done everything I could do. They did test tissue and all that was inconclusive as well.

So now we are back to square one. Looks like we will be doing bloodwork as soon as I get 2 lines again. We have been trying and trying and it's like there is just nothing. I have 3 angel babies and feel like my body is failing me.
  • I'm sorry you have been through this and still have no definitive answers . Hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable responders can point you in the right direction of other explanations . Sending positive thoughts your way .
  • Sending thoughts and prayers your way 
  • Oh, I am so so sorry to heart about your losses and the lack of answers/explanation. It is so disheartening that you have to go through heartache and then no explanation why...

We just went through out 2nd mmc (almost 2 weeks out) and will also get tested (both DH and I) and the tissue was sent for genetic testing. With our last one, we also didn't get any results from the genetic testing, I hope that we get an answer from this one.

But even after all this testing, the doctor warned us that over half of recurrent miscarriages cannot be explain by any of the known causes, so it is not rare that everything has come back normal for you. The prognosis is still good since you guys are able to get pregnant, it could just have been an awful coincidence. I have heard that acupuncture and baby aspirin (even without clotting defects) may help with making the pregnancy sticky, however this is all anecdotal and there is no real science behind it.

What exactly did they test your blood for? Clotting defects, MTFHR?

I will update you once I have more info about my tests and see if my doctor has any further insight.

Again, I am sorry you have to go through all of these dissapointments. Hang in there! ((Hugs))

******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I was in the exact same place five years ago - 3 miscarriages and no answers.  I had one very minutely elevated clotting factor, and one tiny fibroid, but my MFM said neither were to blame.  Our next pregnancy did happen to be successful.  The only changes we made with that one were progesterone from 3dpo, baby aspirin and putting DH on CoQ10.  I had another MMC last month (my son is now four), and with this one, we didn't do progesterone or the CoQ10.  So if we try again, I'll definitely be adding those back into the routine.

Best wishes!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • @BBHME that is good to know. I think my doc wants to put me on baby aspirin retentively next time too.

• I'm sorry you're going through this and I admire your strength! I am going through my second MMC in several months. I feel like something has to be wrong, but I also feel like it's a catch 22. It would be nice if something minor and easily fixable came up in testing, but I also don't want there to be anything "wrong."

I don't know if I will have the courage to try a third time if there isn't a plan of action or if no questions are answered.

Best of luck in the future, and I hope you have your rainbow baby soon!

As a side note, does anyone have any reading recommendations for doing my own research? I have requested "Coming to Term" from the library, and I have heard "It Starts with the Egg" is good as well. TIA.
  • Coming to Term is amazingly interesting - and comforting.  I seem to remember there being a passage in there that talked about the pure odds of having three miscarriages "randomly" happen to you.  My doctor actually did the math on a piece of paper when we met and basically said, "the odds of this happening to you randomly are so infinitesimally small that there has to be a reason.  It's just a matter of whether it's a reason we can find or not."
  • @cammlyn I'm so sorry you're going through this. I just had my 3rd loss as well. My doctor thought she had pinpointed the cause of my losses before this pregnancy, so she's stumped now. Everything looked great and all post D&C tests have come back normal. It sucks not knowing why this keeps happening. Hang in there. *Hugs*

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Thanks you guys. The doctor has pretty much told us to wait until the first of the year and then try again. So I guess that is what we will do.
  • Sorry you're dealing with this. I would say definitely get your progesterone checked ASAP when you get pregnant again. Especially if any of your MCs have been really early. Have they checked for luteal phase defect? My understanding is that it can cause implantation problems/bad lining which can cause mcs.  I'm about a month out from my second MC and we were also told to just wait until the 1st of the year and try again. My doctor did say to take baby aspirin everyday when we start trying again. Some doctors say to take it once you get the BFP but my doctor said (and I have read this other places) that the aspirin can help build a good lining and help with implantation too. She also said to call immediately when I get a + hpt again because I have a history of low progesterone. 
  • Yes that is the plan to call as soon as I test positive at home and then run more blood work. All of mine have been exactly 8 weeks which is odd to me.
  • Hi all, I had my follow-up today. Everything looked good down there, no bleeding or retained tissue.

As far as a game plan: results for the tissue genetic testing will be in around 2 weeks from now, 1 month from d&c. I need to wait for AF and will get bloodwork done for karyotyope (look for genetic translocations), anti-phospholipid syndrome at CD3. Then progesterone levels at CD21. DH should a also get karyotyope sometime between now and then. He wants us to wait one more cycle (2 total) so that they can so the SIS anatomy of the uterus/cervix. He thinks that everything will likely come back normal. Based on the progesterone levels, he will likely put me on progesterone, baby aspirin and maybe clomid once I get my BFP. The doc is optimistic, I need to be too!

I hope this helps you.

Take care!

• @klauerinaking, I've never heard of using clomid after bfp.  What did he say was the purpose of it?
  • Sorry, just re-read my post. Depending on the results from CD3 and CD21, we will see whether my cycle looks normal and if it doesn't then clomid would be the option (can't remember the details). I only meant to say the progesterone and aspirin afte BFP, clomid likely prior to conception. But, I think I need further clarification as to why.

• Ah, that makes sense.  We had talked about clomid after my third loss as a way to help egg quality / prevent luteal defect.
  • I am so sorry that your tests were inconclusive. I do admire your strength and tenacity.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way!
  • im new here and just had a 2nd loss this weekend, first was in March. Also have a healthy 5 year old. Not sure if this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of progesterone and baby aspirin and is it something my dr should have brought up to have me take this time around when ttc. Tia