Breastfeeding
Options

Thrush Treatment?

Just wondering if anybody knows of an effective way to treat thrush infection of the breast over the counter?

Re: Thrush Treatment?

• Options
    Don't even mess with it, get a prescription and an APNO! Yeast takes so long to clear and you and baby can keep passing it to each other. I had it for ten weeks it's miserable. The topical over the counter (miconisol) didn't do anything, nothing worked until a long dose of antibiotics and the right APNO combination. I had it rough, get ahead of it! Good luck!
  • Options
    We've had it twice and my lc had me use lotramin on my breast after each feeding, and wash everything with vinegar (nursing pads, bra, baby cloths, etc.). We also had a prescription for nystatin for the baby. They say you need to treat both you and baby at the same time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We both have thrush right now and it's miserable! I have been on diflucan for 5 days, baby has been on nystantin for 4. We have also been sterilizing, doing gentian violet and vinegar cleanses. I started the APNO yesterday. Still no improvement! It hurts so bad to nurse and because of the pain and stress my supply has plummeted :( on top of everything the nystantin seems to be giving the baby terrible stomach pains and gas bubbles. Hopefully things get better soon, I am about ready to give up!
  • Options
    Ugh I'm so sorry don't give up, you'll get past it! I had two rounds of diflucan I was on it for my entire maternity leave. I was allergic to something in the miconisol and APNO so that made it worse and burning nipples, had to have a different APNO made and that helped ease the pain. You'll get through it, hugs to you!!
  • Options
    Grapefruit seed extract helped a ton! Absolutely start taking probiotics right away!!
  • Options
    I did the gentian violet and it cleared things up for us in about a week. I put it in LO s mouth once a day and painted my nipples twice a day. That's all we did but I don't think our case was as bad as most of the ones on here. Good luck.
  • Options
    I haven't personally had this but at a recent LLL meeting they suggested taking a probiotic.
  • Options
    My DD and I just found out we have the beginning of thrush so pediatrician prescribed cream for me and antibiotic for LO. I have heard the probiotic works wonders.
  • Options
    Coconut oil!! It sounds super simple and might not work for everyone but I read about it and tried it and thrush was gone in about a week and a half.
  • Options
    I'm wondering your regimen for coconut oil, I use it for everything else, worth a shot for thrush! (I'm on diflucan also though)