Breastfeeding
Options

old colostrum and how often to pump during growth spurt

I've searched a bit, but I'm having trouble finding the answers I need...

1) Our little one is now ~3 weeks old, and our pediatrician has ok'd us to introduce a bottle. I have a lot of colostum/transitional milk stored up from our first week... should I give her that, or give her what I have from when my milk came in?

2) I've been breastfeeding 8-10x/day and pumping after 6 of those. Now that milk is established, do I need to keep pumping at all 6? Little one seems hungrier than usual (possible growth spurt), and it's tough to time pumping with her cluster feeding.

Re: old colostrum and how often to pump during growth spurt

• Options
    I would probably give her the newer stuff. As for pumping, really depends on if you are trying to build up a stash. If you just want to satisfy little one you can probably cut down. With DD1 I pumped religiously to build stash. With this one I have not been pumping at all and plan to work on a much smaller stash closer to returning to work. Not pumping definitely makes BF'ing more manageable and enjoyable for me.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    You are going to have to use the old stuff sometime or get rid of it so might as well use the oldest now, I agree when my son went through his growth spurt it was hard to pummp because he was eating so frequently
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son is 9 months and we are just using the stuff from the first few weeks after he was born.  use it whenever you need it