Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Crazy idea but I'm desperate..would love to hear from you moms in here.

I have very low milk supply. I tried to nurse him but he wouldn't latch on because i have small breasts and nipples. I remember the 1st time I tried to nurse him, i felt an instant connection with him. I was given a nipple shield to help but I'm nervous he wouldn't be able to get enough milk and he would fuss until the nipple shield falls off too. I tried to pump but only got a few drops. I seem to have milk when I squeeze my breasts but not when I pump. I have been so depress about it so I stopped. My baby has been on formula for a month now. When I tried to pump, my nipples swell up bigger and I was thinking of using the pump to swell up my nipples so baby can suck. Do you moms think this is a good idea?

Re: Crazy idea but I'm desperate..would love to hear from you moms in here.

• I think it's sweet. A lot of women allow their babies to latch for comfort. Check out Kelly Mom if you haven't already, I was just reading stuff on comfort nursing last night because my baby was "nursing" a ton yesterday, but not swallowing/taking any milk. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting her latch, just may be fed her first so she doesn't get frustrated if she's hungry. My bet it she'll fall asleep, because whether they get milk or not it's calming for them. Like I said, my daughter "flutter" nursed all day yesterday and everything I read said that it was fine (as long as you can stand it).

Have you reached out to La Leche? They have local groups that I've found extremely helpful when it comes to BF.
  • It's a great idea! When I was having trouble getting my overly sleepy newborn to latch in the hospital and REALLY didn't want to resort to the shield, one of the nurses suggested I do the exact same thing so it would make it easier for baby until she woke up a bit.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's sweet. A lot of women allow their babies to latch for comfort. Check out Kelly Mom if you haven't already, I was just reading stuff on comfort nursing last night because my baby was "nursing" a ton yesterday, but not swallowing/taking any milk. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting her latch, just may be fed her first so she doesn't get frustrated if she's hungry. My bet it she'll fall asleep, because whether they get milk or not it's calming for them. Like I said, my daughter "flutter" nursed all day yesterday and everything I read said that it was fine (as long as you can stand it).

Have you reached out to La Leche? They have local groups that I've found extremely helpful when it comes to BF.

Thanks. I'm going to try it. I will check Kelly mom and La Leche. :)
  • tracij12 said:

It's a great idea! When I was having trouble getting my overly sleepy newborn to latch in the hospital and REALLY didn't want to resort to the shield, one of the nurses suggested I do the exact same thing so it would make it easier for baby until she woke up a bit.

Thanks. I'm going to try! :)
  • Definitely a good idea. One of my nipples is inverted and LO had trouble latching on that side, so then my supply dropped on that side.

I ended up BF, then pumping and topping LO up with a bottle of pumped breastmilk a) to get my supply back up and b) to ensure LO was getting enough milk. I would use the pump to pull my nipple out, or pinch it out with my fingers.

Now he's bigger he can deal with my inverted nipple without any issue, but he did need that initial help while he got bigger, stronger and more co-ordinated at nursing.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I have slightly inverted nipples and use medela soft shells between feedings to help. Maybe give them a try
  • I have flat nipples too. This was actually suggested to me by an LC. Go for it!
  • I have flat nipples and find the nipple guards to be very helpful. Why are you nervous about using them? If they are falling off it may be you are not using them correctly...