Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby being held! Desperately need help!!

edited November 2015 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
My baby boy is 3 months and 2 weeks old. He only wants to be carried, I thought as he grew this situation would get better but it's only getting worse. It's come to a point that if I put him down for one minute he starts crying, he doesn't even want me to sit down, he wants me standing and walking around with him. He doesn't like his crib, bouncer, bassinet or car seat. He just wants to be in my arms at all times and only wants to sleep on my chest. I don't have any time for myself, he's starting to weigh more and I feel really bad back pain. I've tried putting him down in his crib, I sing to him, talk to him, he enjoys watching Mickey Mouse so I put it on to distract him, but nothing works he just stars crying really bad like if someone were hurting him and as I grab him he immediately stops crying. My mother had agreed of babysitting him when he turned 3 months so I can go back to work but that's out of the question she can't deal with him. It's very tiring. I don't know if it's bad to just let my baby "cry it out" and get used to being in his crib that way. This is my first child, and I really have no ones help I'm watching him 24/7 my partner helps me a little bit when he gets home from work but not much. I need some advise in what I should do. Please help

Re: Baby being held! Desperately need help!!

• I know its hard to let them cry but thats what we had to do. Eventually it does get easier. We have two boys that didn't like to sleep in their crib and wanted to sleep on our chest. We would put them in there and let them cry it out and eventually they would fall asleep. This worked for us. Good luck...
  • Your 3 month old baby is too young to just leave him to cry. I'm sorry but he is. It sounds like you have a high needs baby and that's not easy. Some of my closest friends have high needs babies and there are days they are at their wits end but leaving him alone to cry is not the answer.

You are the mom and he needs you so you don't have the option to just leave him. You have to power through because most likely this will pass. You need to try to find some help OR ask your partner to help more. Is there any reason he can't give you more of a break?

Do you have a carrier like an Ergo or Baby Bjorn, anything? Babywearing helps a lot and helps baby stay close to mom which sounds like what your LO needs.

There's a reason the experts don't recommend leaving your baby to cry when they are under about 6 months old. They cry because they have a need.  

• Loading the player...
  • DD was high needs but at about 3 months it was like a switch flipped and the screaming completely stopped unless she had a specific unmet need (tired, hungry, wet). Hang in there.

I was super worried about going back to work at 12 weeks because of it, but the ladies at the daycare are pros...they had her comfortable there within the first couple of days. If you have to work you have to work...the baby will adjust to another care person. I'd suggest with a high needs baby you use a professional nanny or daycare rather than a relative of at all possible. They have the tools to deal with it appropriately.
  • Your 3 month old baby is too young to just leave him to cry. I'm sorry but he is. It sounds like you have a high needs baby and that's not easy. Some of my closest friends have high needs babies and there are days they are at their wits end but leaving him alone to cry is not the answer.

You are the mom and he needs you so you don't have the option to just leave him. You have to power through because most likely this will pass. You need to try to find some help OR ask your partner to help more. Is there any reason he can't give you more of a break?

Do you have a carrier like an Ergo or Baby Bjorn, anything? Babywearing helps a lot and helps baby stay close to mom which sounds like what your LO needs.

There's a reason the experts don't recommend leaving your baby to cry when they are under about 6 months old. They cry because they have a need.  

All of this. Please don't leave your baby to cry. I'm sorry it's so rough right now.
  • Baby wearing is a great idea. My Baby ktan has been a lifesaver...Atleast it's saved my arms. If you have people that can give you a break take advantage. And remember this too shall pass.
  • I want to thank everyone who took the time to write to me. I appreciate the advice, I won't leave my baby to cry. I also agree he's way to young, and I hate seeing him cry it breaks my heart. Hopefully with time he will get better. I just have to be patient. He is starting to sleep a little more which makes me really happy and I'm going to be buying a baby carrier tomorrow so my arms can get a break and daddy is going to be helping more :). I'm also happy to say I have an older sister coming back home from her vacation who's promised to give me a hand with my little fussy ball lol.
  • I want to thank everyone who took the time to write to me. I appreciate the advice, I won't leave my baby to cry. I also agree he's way to young, and I hate seeing him cry it breaks my heart. Hopefully with time he will get better. I just have to be patient. He is starting to sleep a little more which makes me really happy and I'm going to be buying a baby carrier tomorrow so my arms can get a break and daddy is going to be helping more :). I'm also happy to say I have an older sister coming back home from her vacation who's promised to give me a hand with my little fussy ball lol.

I'm glad you have some people who are going to support you! I'm sorry you have been alone in this, that must be so hard. The baby carrier will be a huge help! Hang in there.