2nd Trimester

Third hand smoke & work

Sorry if this post is repetitive.  Did a search and most 3rd hand smoke articles were about family.

I live in Kentucky where it seems like many people smoke.  I smell third hand smoke almost daily.  Usually it's a short-time....waiting in line somewhere or walking by someone. But, I work at a university where probably once a day (or every other) I meet with a student who smells like smoke.  It could be for ten minutes up to one hour.  

I also often smell smoke while waiting at traffic lights.  Even with windows up, AC on, and a recently changed air/in-take filters.

Is this something to be concerned about?  I am most worried about long meetings with students.  I will ask my doctor in a two weeks at my appointment, but I wanted to get some insight before then. Thanks!  

Re: Third hand smoke & work

• Jules08Jules08 member
    edited November 2015

Third hand smoke still has toxins.  It is most concerning though in places where it builds up, like in a car where someone smokes, or in furniture/ carpet in a room where someone smokes.  Walking or driving by someone who has recently smoked isn't likely going to expose you to a crazy amount of toxins.  I don't think there have been a ton of studies on it yet, but it seems that the biggest concern is really for infants and children (especially when crawling around on said carpet, especially if they then put their hands in their mouths) as their exposure would be double(? I think I read double) that of adults.

I never really concern myself too much being around smokers (typically outside and away from where the smoke is being blown).  When DS was born, I just asked that everyone wash their hands before holding him and then kept him wrapped in a blanket to keep his exposure to a minimum.

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, as @Jules08, said it is toxic.  It probably more of a concern where it builds up.  So, if the someone who had the residue sat in the same chair in my office everyday, then it would build up.  Infants ingesting it is definitely the biggest concern.

It would be interesting to find research that studies short-term exposure repeat exposure.  But, I didn't really come up with anything when searching.

My background is in environmental sciences, so I know there are so many scary toxins around us every day.  I don't think about it much (because you'd drive yourself crazy) but yet limit my exposure when possible (cleaners, etc.).  But the smell of smoke is a really hard to ignore, and it just seems like the one toxin I could avoid .  It makes my MS even worse.  I try to cut my conversations short with students who smell like smoke, or I move my chair as far away as possible.  

It's made even more annoying that our campus is smoke-free, so you know if someone smells that strong they would've had to smoked it very recently, which mean they smoked that cigarette on-campus (since my building is right in the center).   

My next door neighbors, who I love, are heavy smokers.  So, unfortunately I can't go hang out with them on their back porch any more in the evenings.  Sometimes he will come to breakfast with us, and he never smells of smoke.  I think he smokes, then showers so he doesn't smell, which is considerate.  
  • desertheartdesertheart member
    edited November 2015
    Was mostly wondering if anyone knew about this for sure.  Maybe someone had come across something I missed during my search for info.  

Edited because I found more info.  Apparently it's the built-up old residue that is most harmful.  However, even the lingering smoke odor on someone's clothing can (even in short periods) can cause nasal irritation which overtime can make you more prone to various infections.  

Not probably harmful to baby directly, but does mean I have to increase amount of allergy meds (which I'd rather not do).  This irritation is why this is driving me up the wall right now, because I already have a lot congestion and drainage from allergies and someone smelling like smoke is just adding fuel to the fire. Sometimes these kids smell so strong of smoke that I literally have difficulty breathing.  Not much I can do, because I have to meet with them but just keep the conversation to the necessities, and then rotate chairs to let it at least air out some.