November 2015 Moms

advice please

My baby is 3 days old and is having trouble keeping her tempt regulated it constantly jumps to 100 if she has on more then a diaper. She is not eating her dr. is having me pump and mix with formula because she is having trouble with my nipples and she had lost so much weight but even more she only eats am ounce every 3 hrs were they want her to be eating 3oz evry three hrs. Finally her joundance levels are continuing to raise. Yes we just got back from her appointment and have another one tomorrow and i don't know what to do until then to get her to eat more I'm so scared for her and km just worried any stm+moms have any advice for me

Re: advice please

• So sorry you're going through all this, it sounds stressful! I don't have any amazing advice except to follow doctors orders and call if you're concerned. Regarding the temperature, skin to skin helps regulate body temp so I'd say try doing that as much as possible. Hang in there and good luck, sending positive thoughts your way!
  • So sorry you're going through all this, it sounds stressful! I don't have any amazing advice except to follow doctors orders and call if you're concerned. Regarding the temperature, skin to skin helps regulate body temp so I'd say try doing that as much as possible. Hang in there and good luck, sending positive thoughts your way!

This. Skin to skin is a fabulous idea. This may also encourage a little more breast feeding as well if she's constantly next to it. Keep offering her the bottle as much as possible with whatever you've pumped. It took my DS 6 weeks to get back up to birth weight, there were lots of doctors appointments but supplementing did help a lot. Just remember to keep pumping to keep up supply. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you guys I'm am doing a lot of skin to skin and pumping. I think I'm just bigger a worry wart
  • No real advise, but DD had very similar issues. She was about 8 days old when she started to turn around. There was nothing we did to fix it, she just had to get a little older. She is 15 days old now, her temp and bilirubin are no longer a problem and we are working to get back to her birth weight still.
    Stick in there mama, it will get better shortly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ummm. It's not the norm that a 3 day old gobbles 3 oz. try offering smaller volumes more frequently. Is she a preemie? Temp instability can be ok as long as not a fever >/= 100.4 rectal or lower than 97.5. If it is, call your ped
  • Ummm. It's not the norm that a 3 day old gobbles 3 oz. try offering smaller volumes more frequently. Is she a preemie? Temp instability can be ok as long as not a fever >/= 100.4 rectal or lower than 97.5. If it is, call your ped

She was born at 38-5 do i wouldn't consider that a preemie...it hasn't spiked that high it spiked to 100 a few times. She only drinks an oz every hour
  • If she is having trouble staying awake while eating or is struggling to actually drink from the bottle you can syringe feed her. My LO was having lots of issues with eating. She is 1 month old and isn't back to her birth weight yet but she is gaining. Up until she was 2 weeks old she was only drinking 15mis every hour. She now drinks 2 ounces every 3 hours.
  • mom4liak said:

If she is having trouble staying awake while eating or is struggling to actually drink from the bottle you can syringe feed her. My LO was having lots of issues with eating. She is 1 month old and isn't back to her birth weight yet but she is gaining. Up until she was 2 weeks old she was only drinking 15mis every hour. She now drinks 2 ounces every 3 hours.

She can't stay awake long enough but she is doing better now with feeding from the bottle still can't latch to my nipples though

• This was probably already checked but make sure you pediatrician checks her mouth for both lip and tongue tie. These can cause a lot of latch and feeding issues early on and can be corrected its picked up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't believe they checked for i will ask them to at her appointment tomorrow