June 2016 Moms
Options

Keratosis Pilaris (KP)

Does anyone else have Keratosis Pilaris (KP-- little bumps, sometimes red, on the backs of your arms), or has had it in the past? I have noticed in the past week that mine is nearly 99% gone!! I've been using AmLactin (OTC lotion with lactic acid) for a long time and it's hardly helped. I just looked up KP and pregnancy and it seems as if it's common for it to disappear or drastically improve while pregnant-- what an awesome side effect!

We all have so many crummy symptoms/side effects, it's nice to have a good one come up, right?!

I'd love to hear any tips and tricks you have used to get rid of it, too-- upon further reading I believe it may come back with a vengeance post-pregnancy.

FYI: I have celiac disease, so I already do the gluten free thing, which I've heard is a common way some people will try to keep their KP at bay-- totally doesn't work for me.

Re: Keratosis Pilaris (KP)

• Options
    I never got a dx of KP, but I did have bumps on the back of my arms. I suppose they were pretty mild so I never really bothered to do anything about it. I didn't even notice but my arms do feel smoother now! So strange and unexpected. Another random fact: I also have Celiac!
  • Options
    I get this off and on and it completely cleared up when I got pregnant with DS and then fared up about 2 weeks pp. I mainly just try to ignore it. I could be wrong but I think it's just cosmetic.

Sorry this post was of no use to you other to confirm what you thought!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @candicek15 - it's nice to have a good side effect amongst all these icky ones, so I'll take it!! Also, great to know there is a fellow Celiac on here ;-)

@likeabel - thanks for confirming what I had guessed/read. I'll take advantage and appreciate the time I have with smooth arms now, lol.
  • Options
    I've never experienced it, but DD has it (I think, she's never been diagnosed) I want so badly to pick at them but I know that's obviously not a good thing to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Fish oil! Fish oil! Omega 3's!
  • Options
    j19mamaj19mama member
    edited November 2015
    @MellBabyPeeps - Ahhh! The DHA supplement!! I'll just need to remember to keep omega 3's ecorporated post-baby!! Thanks!!
  • Options
    Funny you mention celiac. I tested positive for gluten & dairy intolerance several years ago and used to have those bumps on my arms. I didn't realize their disappearance coincided with giving up gluten & dairy til just now. Wonder if mine is connected as well since actual celiac is completely different from my watered down version. That being said, the gluten/dairy intolerance has also seemed to ease up since being prego! Although I did get overly-confident with a piece of pizza a few times (almost worth it).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've had KP ever since I can remember (since childhood). I exfoliate once/twice a week with a sugar scrub and use Eucerin intensive repair lotion, it as has urea in it which is something my derm said would help. I've had this routine for a few years now and you can hardly tell unless you stare that I have it. I honestly haven't noticed much of a change in it since I found out I was pregnant, but then again I haven't paid much attention to it since adopting my current routine
  • Options
    nrs164nrs164 member
    edited November 2015
    I too have had KP since childhood. It gets better for me in the summer months and cleared up a lot last pregnancy but it did come back pp. It was bad at first then calmed down after a few weeks, I think it was all of the crazy hormones.

I didn't even think to add in fish oil supplements afterwards! What an excellent idea!
  • Options
    I have had it since I was a teenager. It hasn't been so bad in my adult years because I mostly leave it alone (darn those bigger ones that absent mindedly get scratched off). I have noticed that mine is clearing up with this pregnancy too!

I always thought I was the only person in the world with this problem! It was so embarrassing as a teenager, but I picked at it a lot so that was my own fault.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I have it and mine have disappeared in the last few weeks.. I started thinking maybe it's because I've been drinking so much more water lately but it could totally be just because of pregnancy. Either way, I'm loving not having it!
  • Options
    @aiellomp Yes! I was just thinking about that. My KP lingered on for 6+months. I tried Amlactin, and that didn't help. Coconut oil seemed to help significantly more. Since I found out I am pregnant, my KP has improved and pretty much went away. I have not used anything to help with KP since pregnancy either. Very strange.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I wanted to chime in and say my KP was so bad PP. I remember how depressing that was during summer trying to hide my arms while it was so hot. Nothing the derm gave me worked at all.
  • Options
    I've had it since I was a kid as well. But I feel as though mine is worse since I got pregnant again. I don't really remember how it was with my other pregnancies.

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    I don't remember if mine cleared up last time I was pregnant or not. I do remember that it flared up big time afterwards. It is looking better than usual right now but not totally gone.

• Options
    Exfoliating with a scrub and drinking water has helped mine. Amlactin is great but body butter seems to help me just as much. Mine is still here though!
  • Options
    Funny, mine is significantly better now that I'm pregnant. It hadn't been bad, but I've had it since childhood. I have done the sugar scrub exfoliate with a good moisturizer and that helped me. Going to keep taking some fish oil pp.
  • Options
    I've had it my entire life and have tried everything, I didn't even notice my arms had improved until I saw your post and actually paid attention! Not a bad side effect to have! 
  • Options
    They sell a product at Sephora called kp duty from dermadoctor. It has worked great on many people
  • Options
    I know this post is old but I came here to say the same thing! I had KP on the back of my arms and a lot on my legs before I was pregnant. It's gone now! It looks like everyone is saying it will come back PP but for now I'm enjoying my skin.