Breastfeeding
Options

Night time pumping?

My LO just started sleeping 5-7 hour stretches at night. Should I be getting up before to pump or will my supply be ok to go that long? My breasts get full and hard but never hurt.

Re: Night time pumping?

• Options
    My LO is sleeping 9 hours now and has basically slept through the night for about 6 weeks now. I do not get up and pump. Like you, I get really full. I haven't had any issues with supply. I'm also back to work and am pumping 3x a day so I can get a good idea of how much I'm producing. I imagine that this is one of those things that is different for everyone, and I'd suggest just keeping an eye on supply and whether you're getting clogs and make adjustments as necessary.
  • Options
    I think it depends on how old your baby is. I remember reading that your milk supply isn't "established" until baby is like 12 weeks old? So if you are beyond that then it's probably fine not to pump unless you're uncomfortable. But if baby is younger than it may be a good idea to pump once.

God I wish I had this problem btw!! Mine is 15 weeks old and is still up twice overnight then up for the day at 5am
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @annaw14 thanks! My LO is 8 weeks today. She typically sleeps 6 hours for the 1st stretch and only eats on one side, so I go pump the other side. I am currently drinking mothers milk tea, so I guess that answers my own question that I should pump. I do want a supply too, but I don't go back to work until feb. 1st