Postpartum Depression
Options

PPD Mommas - Who did you go to for help?

Cross posted from my BMB.

So, I'm finally admitting to myself that I think I may have PPD. I'm just not myself, and from reading things about it I have a lot of the markers they look for in diagnosing PPD. In short, I'm miserable most of the time, and I know I need to talk to someone.

I'm not sure who I need to go to for help with this. Ladies who have gone through this, who did you contact first? OB, primary care, or a therapist? I'm stupidly embarrassed about this and I don't want to call the wrong person and have them direct me to someone else. Thanks in advance.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PPD Mommas - Who did you go to for help?

• Options

First of all don't be embarrassed! This is SOOOO common and women shouldn't have to feel ashamed or embarrassed about it.

I had some depression after my first child was born but I was able to get over it on my own. Somehow! With my second child my anxiety was through the roof and I wasn't eating or sleeping. I am close with my OB (and didn't have a PCP at the time) so I called him first and the nurses were so comforting and understanding. They let me just vent :) His office sent a referral to a therapist who I met with a couple times just to talk. She couldn't prescribe medication and I realized that just talking wasn't enough for my anxiety so she sent me to a Psychiatrist who prescribed me a low dose of Zoloft.

At this point you might need your PCP to refer you to someone. A lot of PCP's will see patients for this but for me personally, I wanted to see someone that specializes in PPD like a behavioral health provider.  

Admitting that you could use some help is a big step so be proud of that. I bet you will feel so much better after talking to someone.

::creepy internet hugs::

• Options
    My LO is four months and I just called my OB last week because my anxiety was through the roof.  I was crying and nervous about everything.  I really thought I could handle it on my own; but, when my fiance' said, "Maybe you should talk to your doctor," I decided it was time.

I cried when I made the call because it was SO HARD to do.  I cried in the doctor's office.  I told her I was embarrassed (so I know how you feel).  I hated that I had to admit I needed help.

The doc prescribed seratonin.  They say it takes two weeks to see the results.  It has only been 10 days, but I already feel better.  

I also just saw my PCP this week.  I mentioned that I was on the medication.  She said it was a good one to be on, and that I could probably stay on it for two years or so.  It made me feel a lot better.

I really wish I would have sought help sooner.  Stupid pride, lol.  I really encourage anyone out there who needs help to seek it out.  It should make a world of difference.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call your OB. PPD is something they're familiar with and they may have a special referral service to hook you up with a provider. (Massachusetts has a great one). Or Google postpartum depression psychiatrist in your location. Then swallow hard and pick up the phone. It sucks to do it but you will feel better once you do. And if you cry on the phone- you're not the first. I cried so hard the first time I spoke with my doctor. They know what do to so the sooner you start the better. Good luck. And hugs.