July 2015 Moms

Rolling over at night?

LO just learned to rolled today. She's 16 weeks old. Do I leave her on her belly when she rolls at night or flip her back? What are you experiences? Thanks!

Re: Rolling over at night?

• Mine can roll back to belly as well and so she mostly ends up on her belly in the middle of the night. :( she has only rolled belly to back 1 time so it makes me nervous to leave her. I flip her back if I can but that said she rolls back almost right away. She can lift her head very well so I feel like there is not much I can do about it.
  • Once my son is asleep he doesnt try to roll. I am not worried now but I think once he is more active with rolling I will worry!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh ... NOT looking forward to this. DH said LO was on his side when he woke up in the MOTN. Scary because he doesn't have good head/neck control yet :/

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• LO isn't rolling yet, but when he does I think I will turn him on his back if I find him on his tummy. I have been swaddling his arms out, just in case! His hands get so cold at night, but otherwise seems very comfortable...anyone else?
  • I just happened to wake up one night, and one of my girls had rolled over from back to tummy and it scared me so bad. I just turned her back over and now I'm waiting on the other to start any day now.
  • According to my ped, if they are strong enough to roll onto their tummy over night, then they should be strong enough to move their head if they need to. Just make sure that your sleeping space is as safe as possible. If you want additional peace of mind, there are several reasonably priced motion monitors (the Angelcare monitor and the Snuza, for example) that will alert you if baby has difficulty breathing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^^same thing. Our pediatrician says there's no need to put them back on their back if they roll over at night. Just make sure you still put them on their back to begin with.
  • We called the pediatrician and he said the same thing. Only to flip her back if she was fussing which she is. She rolls over them cries about being there lol. Thanks all :)
  • No need to flip them. Once they can roll both ways. Just make sure to keep their crib etc. Clear of any obstructions!
  • jessicaerlejessicaerle member
    edited November 2015
    For the past 2 nights, LO has rolled from back to tummy but the problem is, the only way he sleeps well is if he's swaddled with both arms in because he wakes himself up from the startle reflex every couple minutes!! If I'm no longer supposed to swaddle now that he is rolling over, how else can I control the startle reflex so it doesn't wake him up? Ideas anyone? Or know of any good swaddle suits that allow for control of the arms while also controlling the startle???
  • Get the magic Merlin sleep suit!
  • Smark1129Smark1129 member
    edited November 2015

For the past 2 nights, LO has rolled from back to tummy but the problem is, the only way he sleeps well is if he's swaddled with both arms in because he wakes himself up from the startle reflex every couple minutes!! If I'm no longer supposed to swaddle now that he is rolling over, how else can I control the startle reflex so it doesn't wake him up? Ideas anyone? Or know of any good swaddle suits that allow for control of the arms while also controlling the startle???

If he's on his tummy, the startle reflex won't have the same impact. They usually throw their arms and legs in a forward motion, so if he's on his tummy forward will be stabilized by the surface he is on....

There is the Zipadee-zip (shark tank!) which helps a bit with the reflex but still gives near full mobility. We plan to use it when we transition out of the swaddle :)
  • I have the love the dream transition swaddler and it works perfectly for LO
  • My little dude hasn't quite figured out how to roll from back to tummy, but he sleeps with me and this mornign, he was rolled in on his side towards me, nearly on his tummy. It was kinda scary to see he had rolled over to me, when I lay him in the middle of the bed!

• Smark1129 said:

If he's on his tummy, the startle reflex won't have the same impact. They usually throw their arms and legs in a forward motion, so if he's on his tummy forward will be stabilized by the surface he is on....

There is the Zipadee-zip (shark tank!) which helps a bit with the reflex but still gives near full mobility. We plan to use it when we transition out of the swaddle :)
    Thanks for the suggestions, so I tried the merlin magic sleep suit for the past couple nights and he absolutely hates it. As soon as we place him in the crib, he wakes up screaming... we initially started the process at 730 pm and haven't been getting him to sleep until 1230am and that's only bc we finally give up and swaddle him and put him in the swing! Shoukd I continue to try the magic sleep suit or take it as a total fail? I got the zipadeezip this morning and am hoping to have better luck with it... ughh feel doomed by these startle reflexes!!!!