July 2016 Moms

Who has had an ultrasound?

So to make a long story short, I had a loss last cycle, no period before getting my BFP, so obviously my doctor wanted an ultrasound for dating reasons.  Initially they said it would be once my hcg reached 3000, between 6-8 weeks.  But they just called and said he wanted to see one at the end of this week.  I will only be 4w3d based on when I ovulated, but if you used my miscarriage as LMP, I guess it would be around 6 weeks.
My hcg was only 220 yesterday, which my doctor knows, and will probably only be around 500 when I get my ultrasound.  Why on earth would they schedule it this soon?
Anyone else have an ultrasound before 5 weeks? 

Re: Who has had an ultrasound?

• I had a US to check on a cyst in my ovaries. I called and told them I had a positive pregnancy test so they want me to rescedual. They said no we will do a dating US also. They couldn't see anything. They did say my uterus was thickening ( that's what happened in early pregnancy) From my LMP I was 3w6d. I go back on Dec. 4th for a dating scan.
    Maybe they just want to see how everything is progressing. Hopefully you can get some reassurance at the US.
  • That surprises me. It's like pulling teeth at my doc to get an ultrasound before like 10 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a chemical pregnancy in early September. I've only had one full cycle (although 2 was recommended, oops) so I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 4 days. Even got to see the teensiest, tiniest sack! I think it's a precaution doctors like to take given past issues -- either way, it was so much fun and is starting to feel REAL.
  • I had my first US at 5w4d last week and they saw the gestational and yolk sacs, but couldn't establish viability yet because the embryo wasn't visible. Going back tomorrow at 6w5d and should see the baby (I hope!). This is the earliest they've ever had me come in, usually I haven't been able to go until at least 8 weeks. But this is also my 5th pregnancy after 4 losses so they're heavily monitoring me this time I guess. It really does make the process more nerve-wracking I feel like, because you don't really know what to expect in the early weeks and the littlest things can make you feel like you're doomed. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • I had a US to check on a cyst in my ovaries. I called and told them I had a positive pregnancy test so they want me to rescedual. They said no we will do a dating US also. They couldn't see anything. They did say my uterus was thickening ( that's what happened in early pregnancy) From my LMP I was 3w6d. I go back on Dec. 4th for a dating scan. Maybe they just want to see how everything is progressing. Hopefully you can get some reassurance at the US.
    This was basically what happened to me, cyst and all! Existing ultrasound next Thursday (I'll be about 7 weeks then). Luckily my doctor just added a pregnancy work-up to the list while I'm at the lab, so I don't have to reschedule or have 2 days off. Hoping we can get a good view! 
  • I just had mine today at 6w2d and we were able to see the baby, sac, and heartbeat! It was so exciting. This is all real to DH now. I know it's real because I have been puking every day now. Baby measured right at 6w2d and that's in line with my lmp. Dr also said that since we saw the heartbeat he doesn't want another scan until about 20 weeks.
    Me: 27
    DH: 29
    BFP: 10/25/2015
    EDD: 7/5/2015!!

• I had an early u/s due to pain to rule out ectopic and discovered a cyst (high five for cysts, PPs! Ugh) at 5w1d or so. At that time I had 2 blood draws to check levels as well. Just had my recommended follow-up u/s to check on the cyst, and saw (and heard!) Peanut's heartbeat today. Measured at 6w4d, though O date from temping would put me at 7wk, but no big.

So, seems typical for a doctor to want an early u/s and blood work if there's pain or a history of loss just to be sure things are progressing as they should. At 4wks OP, I imagine he just wants to see the sac in the right location? Or to see there's a sac (assuming it's visible that early)?
  • I have one scheduled for 6 wks 3 days, the day before thanksgiving. Mine is due to previous loss. My numbers are at 339 today at 4 wks 3 days and nurse said as of now doubling as they should.

Addison (DD) born 6/10/12
    M/C 3/3/14 Due 10/8/14
    Rainbow Koen (DS) born 7/9/16

Lfafer  you want to have in your playgroup  * Best Baker  * Sweetest Lfafer * Best NBR\GTKY Threads*  Most Supportive Lfafer *   Best Mom * Lfafer you want organizing your meal train after birth

• I have my first ultrasound scheduled today, and I'm 6 weeks + 3 days. I was shocked when they asked me if I wanted a Friday ultrasound appointment at my first doctor visit on Wednesday. I was expecting them to ask me to come in near or after 8 weeks. I guess all clinics operate differently! 
  • I heard back and they did screw up the dates of when they wanted them (there was miscommunication to the scheduler.  So I go in Thursday of next week and will be 5w3d, which makes me feel better.  At least we can hopefully see the sac at that point.
  • This is a surprise pregnancy (again). I had an u/s to check on my IUD placement, which was not there. They did see a small sac. I was 4w2d (tuesday) and only had an hcg of about 300.

• I was able to get an US on my first (confirmation) visit as I "wasn't sure" when my LMP was. ;);) She was more than happy to give me one, and I was able to see the little sweet pea on my birthday! Best gift ever! 6.5mm at 6 weeks!
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • This is a surprise pregnancy (again). I had an u/s to check on my IUD placement, which was not there. They did see a small sac. I was 4w2d (tuesday) and only had an hcg of about 300.

You saying only 300 for your hcg level seems odd. Because that's kind of average for how far you were.. I was 4 wks 2 days and at 336..

Addison (DD) born 6/10/12
    M/C 3/3/14 Due 10/8/14
    Rainbow Koen (DS) born 7/9/16

Lfafer  you want to have in your playgroup  * Best Baker  * Sweetest Lfafer * Best NBR\GTKY Threads*  Most Supportive Lfafer *   Best Mom * Lfafer you want organizing your meal train after birth

• It's because even though you were temping to confirm O (TTGP lurker, if I have that wrong please let me know but I assume temping from TWW) they were not monitoring you to confirm that. Were they following your betas down and did they hit zero?

Honestly, they probably want an u/s just in case you are actually 6 weeks and had those HCg levels because that could be a red flag for an ectopic pregnancy. We know you were temping but they need to err on the side of safety and be certain.