Breastfeeding

Adding in 1 bottle a day.

I would like to start pumping 1 time a day, and offer 1 bottle later in the day. Today I pumped an hour after our morning feed, and got about 3 oz. I think I will switch to pumping the opposite breast while LO feeds, since he only eats from 1 side at a time, and I'm always leaking from the other side anyways.

I'm hoping I can get enough to use give 1 bottle around dinner time, and freeze a little if possible. I have 2 questions...

1. Do I absolutely have to pump when he takes the bottle? He EBF consistently every 2 hours throughout the day, and I have no issues with supply. I dont think I'll become engorged, since supply is usually less by the afternoon anyways, and all other feedings would be bf. I just don't want to ruin my supply.

2. How much is a good amount for LO, who is 4 weeks, if it is replacing 1 feeding. Although I could really offer breast if he is still hungry, or becomes hungry soon after.

Re: Adding in 1 bottle a day.

• Are you just wanting to offer bottle to give yourself a break? I did this with my first and I still regret it to this day. I pumped with each feeding (my LO only ate from 1 side as well). It seemed like within a few weeks of shifting to 1 bottle feed/day my supply tanked and I wasn't able to get it back up.

Everyone's experience is obviously different so you may have better luck.

As for amount. I was always told their age in months + 1 ounce as a general rule.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• I would like the break, but mostly I would just like the option to offer bottles if needed. Date nights, being able to leave the house for more than 2 hours without LO, or even just to be able to be out and not have to worry about BFing. I have considered starting the daily pumping but just offering bottles sporadically for the next few weeks, just to keep up his tolerance for the bottle. Do you think there would be a point that it would be less detrimental to supply? I am returning to work part time when LO is 4 mos, but I'm hoping between freezer stash and pumping at work, I'll be able to keep him solely on breast milk for another few months after that (I would call 7ish months a success and not feel bad if supply started to drop then... don't kill me lol)
  • Loading the player...
  • I would definitely pump for a missed feeding. At 4 weeks your body is still setting supply and you definitely don't want to give it the signal to make less this early.
  • So a one month old baby would only need 2 oz at a feeding?
  • Sully3302 said:

So a one month old baby would only need 2 oz at a feeding?

Mine was eating more than that at 1 month. If you can spare the milk I'd put 4oz in a bottle and see what LO eats, without for forcing him to finish. Toss the remainder. We did that for 2-3 feedings to get an average of what he ate. I think at 1 month our LO was good with 3-3.5 oz.
  • I starting giving my baby a bottle at almost 3 weeks old so that hubby could get some bonding time with him. I Pump every morning since he sleeps about 5 hours straight now and usually that's about for a 2-3 ounce bottle and for me to freeze 4 oz if not more. I also pump in the evening because generally he gets the bottle in the late evening so I can get a break or get some sleep for an hour or 2. At 4 weeks he was talk 2.0-2.5 oz in the bottle.
  • Mine is 4 weeks and I offered his first bottle today. He ate 2 oz and I then offered the breast and he ate on both sides, so I know he eats more. Also, you don't have to toss what he doesn't eat. Just keep it in the fridge and give it at the next feeding and then give the breast after. I can't bear to waste breastmilk!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker