Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Convertible Car Seat

What kind of car seat do you use?

When did you switch to a convertible car seat? have you used a convertible car seat all along?

Where do you place your car seat? Middle or side? LATCH or belt?

What kind of car seat do you prefer??

I just need some ideas. My 8mo is in a bucket seat rearfacing. She needs to stay rearfacing until she's 2. As she gets older I don't think she necessarily needs to be in the bucket. I am considering a convertible car seat. Just don't know to much about them.

Re: Convertible Car Seat

• I use a Graco FastAction Fold Sport Click Connect travel system (bucket car seat.) My baby is six months old, 17 pounds and we have not switched to her convertible seat. Our car seat is placed on the side behind the passenger seat. 

I like the bucket seat because we live in a condo so we ALWAYS use the stroller to get to the car and back and keep the stroller in the trunk. It is very convenient. She still fits well in the bucket seat. I figure that we will know when it's time to switch to her convertible car seat. (We already own it. Evenflo SureRide DLX Convertible) when it feels like she is heavy enough that lifting her in and out of the car in her bucket seat into her stroller starts to feel less convenient than just lifting her by herself in and out of the car. Or if she starts to appear too big for the bucket seat. Her bucket seat maxes out at 35 pounds.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • We currently use the graco click connect 35 bucket seat. It is located behind the passenger seat with the LATCH. We will be switching in a couple weeks to the graco all in one. We have it already, I just won't use it for my son until the highway patrol checks to ensure it is installed properly. We choose the all in one so that we don't have to buy any more seats later. It does not expire for 10 years!
  • Loading the player...
  • crsanchez87crsanchez87 member
    edited November 2015
    We started with the Graco Click Connect 35 like PP and had two bases one in my car and one in hubbys car, both attached with the LATCH  system. It was super convenient since we split daycare pickup/drop off duty. And i loved that it could just click into the stroller when we got to our destination if he was sleeping. But he's gotten way to tall/heavy to be carrying him in it. We just switched over to the Graco Milestone 4-1 convertible car seat attached with the LATCH system in the middle seat and so far he loves it. He sits higher up and can see out the back window. He is rear facing and will stay that way for a long while. He is currently 7 months.
  • We have the Britax Boulevard ClickTight in one car and the Britax Marathon ClickTight in the other car. We switched just before 11 months. LO was still more than 10 pounds from the 35lb weight limit of his infant bucket seat, but his head was getting too close to the top (even though he was still several inches from the listed max height). With the ClickTight system Britax has, it is easier to install with the seatbelt versus the latch. We have it installed on the side, not center.

• I switched both of my kids to a Britax Marathon 70-g3 convertible when they were each about 9 months old. My first kid is still behind the passenger seat and my daughter is behind the driver seat. I use the seat belt for my son's combo seat and the latch system for my daughters rear facing convertible seat.

I'd do some research on the website "Car Seat for the Littles".

• Is it better to seat them in the middle or on the side? I just assumed the middle was safer in case you were t-boned by another car on either side. I have a mid-sized SUV. 
  • @crsanchez87 - read the owners manual of your car. Some will say specifically to put the child in the middle of the side (my old car said to put them on the side). Otherwise, some people do prefer the middle for what you said. Some people prefer the side because it is easier to get baby in and out. I really don't know what is better. We opted for the side.

• Is it better to seat them in the middle or on the side? I just assumed the middle was safer in case you were t-boned by another car on either side. I have a mid-sized SUV. 
    My understanding is that in the centre is the safest place to put your baby. During a crash there is a smaller chance of injury than if they were seated beside the door. (Having said that, ours is on the passenger side and was installed with OPP officers at a baby seat clinic.)
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • marajay6 said:
    @crsanchez87 - read the owners manual of your car. Some will say specifically to put the child in the middle of the side (my old car said to put them on the side). Otherwise, some people do prefer the middle for what you said. Some people prefer the side because it is easier to get baby in and out. I really don't know what is better. We opted for the side.

Yep, read your manual.

My SUV has captain seats in the 2nd row so I don't even have a middle seat.

I thought so too. Until I had the authorities check my car seat. They said 90% of accidents happen from the passenger side. They wanted to out the car seat on the side. I didn't have the "latch" indicators on my car for the center. I still wanted it to be in the center. So, they had to use the cross body belt. The next day I drove to my mothers which is 25 mins away. By the time I got there my car seat was practically leaning sideways. I was freaking out. I showed my parents too. I then redid my car seat and put it back the way I had it, which was using both the latch and cross body belt. It's just more secure that way.
  • We use the graco 4 ever all in 1 convertible and have from day 1. Depending on your area a traffic devision of a police department or just local police department is a good resource. They can recommend what they like and have someone install it for you. My husband is a cop so he took care of ours
  • We started with the Graco click connect snugride 35 bucket seat also. Both bases were installed in the middle with the shoulder belt. Our vehicles didn't have latch for the middle. We moved our daughter into the Graco my size 65 seat when she got to be about 20 pounds and hard to get in and out of the car. We installed them on the passenger side because the convertible is larger and she's gotta stay rear facing until she's 2. We're too tall to have the car seat behind the driver or in the middle without rubbing the back of the driver seat. But she seems to like the larger seat. It's helped with her learning to sit up on her own.
  • @dmack911 I couldn't find what seat you have... I had the graco click connect 35 and now have the graco 4ever all in 1 and both have stated to use either latch or the seat belt but do not use both together! I would have thought it would be safest to use both but I never did because my instruction manuals said not to.
  • You shouldn't use both the latch system and the seat belt. Car seats are not tested that way and most manuals will specifically say not to do that. If you are in an accident it will void the warranty as well. A great Facebook group for car seat questions is Car Seats for the Littles. Tons of information and plenty of people to answer questions! :) 
  • We had a bucket seat (Peg Perego) that we recently have outgrown. We now are using the Diono RTX behind the passenger side. It is always best to double check your car's manufacturing information as to installation. Many people try to use a Latch system for the middle seat when infact the carseat maybe incorrectly installed. (latch system must be 11 inches between u buckles)
  • @dmack911 I couldn't find what seat you have... I had the graco click connect 35 and now have the graco 4ever all in 1 and both have stated to use either latch or the seat belt but do not use both together! I would have thought it would be safest to use both but I never did because my instruction manuals said not to.

I have the Grace Snugride Click Connect 35.
    I know not to use both. I went to the check stop for car seats in my neighborhood. The police officer put they car seat in the center with just the seat belt. Which includes the crossbody belt. I went to my mothers who is 25 mins away. When I got there, the car seat with my child in it was almost on its side. This happened not because the belt was to loose. It was because the crossbody belt was so tight that it was lifting the side of the carseat. I felt that having the latch first... anchored the carseat from lifting on either side.
    I know she should probably be behind one of the seats instead of the middle, but I can get hit from either side in any situation. This has been working for us for the past 9mos. Soon she will be in a convertible car seat and most likely get put on either side.

• dmack911 said:
    Is it better to seat them in the middle or on the side? I just assumed the middle was safer in case you were t-boned by another car on either side. I have a mid-sized SUV. 
    I thought so too. Until I had the authorities check my car seat. They said 90% of accidents happen from the passenger side. They wanted to out the car seat on the side. I didn't have the "latch" indicators on my car for the center. I still wanted it to be in the center. So, they had to use the cross body belt. The next day I drove to my mothers which is 25 mins away. By the time I got there my car seat was practically leaning sideways. I was freaking out. I showed my parents too. I then redid my car seat and put it back the way I had it, which was using both the latch and cross body belt. It's just more secure that way.
    No, you need to use latch or the vehicle belt to install. Not both. Your car seat manual will clearly tell you this. It has not been tested this way and is not safe. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• dmack911 said:
    Is it better to seat them in the middle or on the side? I just assumed the middle was safer in case you were t-boned by another car on either side. I have a mid-sized SUV. 
    No, you need to use latch or the vehicle belt to install. Not both. Your car seat manual will clearly tell you this. It has not been tested this way and is not safe. 
    Well, I have had it like this for 11mos now. We have had no problems. Soon she will be in a convertible car seat and that will be placed on either side so that latch will only be used. Like I said previously.... The police station redid my car seat with just the crossbody seatbelt and i drove 20 miles to my parents and when I got there the car seat was almost laying on its side in the back seat with my daughter in the car seat. Because of the crossbody belt (the over the shoulder part) was lifting the one side of the car seat right off the seat itself. If I use the latch as well it anchors it down so it can not lift. So... it works for us. 
  • dmack911 said:
    dmack911 said:
    Well, I have had it like this for 11mos now. We have had no problems. Soon she will be in a convertible car seat and that will be placed on either side so that latch will only be used. Like I said previously.... The police station redid my car seat with just the crossbody seatbelt and i drove 20 miles to my parents and when I got there the car seat was almost laying on its side in the back seat with my daughter in the car seat. Because of the crossbody belt (the over the shoulder part) was lifting the one side of the car seat right off the seat itself. If I use the latch as well it anchors it down so it can not lift. So... it works for us. 

I always see responses like this on these boards. Facts are presented, and people respond with attitude. You are being told that what you are doing isn't safe (this is proven if you do some research/reading) and there's an easy fix but instead of taking this advice, you get defensive and say "I've been doing this for 11 months, it works for us". That's just a ridiculous response.

The police station obviously installed the seat wrong. FWIW, I use the seat belt for both my kids. One is forward facing and one is rear facing. When installed properly, those seats don't move at all.

Stop being stubborn for the sake of your kids and use one or the other. It's pretty easy.

• dmack911 said:
    dmack911 said:

I always see responses like this on these boards. Facts are presented, and people respond with attitude. You are being told that what you are doing isn't safe (this is proven if you do some research/reading) and there's an easy fix but instead of taking this advice, you get defensive and say "I've been doing this for 11 months, it works for us". That's just a ridiculous response.

The police station obviously installed the seat wrong. FWIW, I use the seat belt for both my kids. One is forward facing and one is rear facing. When installed properly, those seats don't move at all.

Stop being stubborn for the sake of your kids and use one or the other. It's pretty easy.

All I want to know is what I originally asked at the beginning of this forum,  not if I installed the car seat properly. The comments are off subject. Also, I don' t have an attitude. All i said was what I was doing worked for us. That's it. If you think its wrong then that's what you think.  
  • dmack911 said:
    dmack911 said:
    dmack911 said:

All I want to know is what I originally asked at the beginning of this forum,  not if I installed the car seat properly. The comments are off subject. Also, I don' t have an attitude. All i said was what I was doing worked for us. That's it. If you think its wrong then that's what you think.  

Sigh. Ok.
  • Wow.  These comments got out of control quickly.  I just got the MaxiCosi Pria 85 for my (almost) 6 month old.  He is a big baby, and has outgrown his infant (bucket) seat.  The Pria 85 is a convertable carseat that he can be in until 85 lbs. This car seat fits well in my midsized SUV.  I also really like the material, which is easy to remove to wash.  One of the main features I liked, besides all the safety stuff, is that it has hooks that hold the straps to the side.  No more fishing the straps out from under him!  
  • We switched from an older model Graco Snugride to the Graco Extend2Fit in my husband's car about a month ago because my LO was getting too big for it. We love the Extend2Fit and he seems to be very comfortable. We needed something that would grow with him (turned 6 months a couple of days ago and is 23.5lbs and 28.75inches) and would fit well in a compact car. I'd recommend it!
  • To get back to the original topic, we used two different brands of infants seats in our vehicles. The first was an Urbini Petal, and the second was an Evenflo Embrace Select. At almost 8 months, and pushing 20 pounds and 27 inches, our daughter had outgrown the Petal. We replaced it with a Graco My Ride 65. Not new, but from a family member that fostered a baby for a few months and that is all the use it got. It's still within time parameters, and has never been in an accident. I'm not a supporter of using used car seats, but this one I know was OK. My daughter got to broad in the shoulders for the Petal. She fit lengthwise, but was having to hunch to sit back. She thinks she's hot stuff now in the convertible seat! (She also likes seeing out the back window now, instead of looking at the sky.) In the car, we use latch, because it's recommended by the state of Indiana. In the truck, we don't have latch, so we use the seatbelt. I like having her in the middle because: 1. I can reach back and replace paci usually. 2. If it's raining, I can sit in the car while strapping her in. Add this to the fact that we have two boys and the one that sat in the middle was climbing over the car seat base (which felt like it was compromising the integrity of the belt/latch,) and it's a no-brainer for us to put it in the middle.
    Finally, I'll say this: Upon doing research, all car seats sold in the US have met safety regulations. It's up to you how many bells and whistles you want, but they're all safe, if used properly. It's important that we don't let people shame us when we are doing something other than they are. In the course of the last year, I've seen safety studies that say side is best, behind an unoccupied seat is best, and middle is best. Much like red wine and beer are good for you this year, but won't be next, it's important to take these with a grain of salt. 
  • I'm going to get the Diono radian RXT and my husband is going to get the maxi cosi pria 70. 
    If you google best convertible car seats, you'll find a ton of info and articles.