Multiples
Options

Possible multiples / Ovarian cyst rupture

MrsRDub05MrsRDub05 member
edited November 2015 in Multiples
Let me give you a little back story ...
I have PCOS and I've also been told I have adenomyosis (kinda long story, 2 OBs with varying opinions) and my husband and I have been TTC for only a couple months. I assumed that because of the PCOS, it would take us at least a year to get pregnant. A few months ago, I had an MRI which showed I had a 3.5 cm cyst on my right ovary. 
Fast forward to this cycle, I started having intense pain at dinner on the 20th. Double over kind of pain that lasted for about 10 minutes until it started decreasing in intensity. It went away after an hour or so. I just assumed a cyst had ruptured. I also was supposed to be ovulating that day, so DH and I BD'ed that night ... even though it was pretty painful. The next day I started having sharp intense pains that radiated into my back again in the afternoon. I was worried that there could be a complication with the cyst so I called my OB, who ordered an U/S. DH works for an outpatient imaging company, so I was able to get right in within an hour. The U/S showed a significant amount of fluid in my right cul de sac ... and no more cyst. 
After that I pretty much just chalked the whole cycle up as a loss. I thought with all the trauma from the cyst rupturing and then having an U/S after I wouldn't conceive. Wrong! AF never showed up, so I took a preg test without any anticipation it would be positive. And it did! We are super ecstatic!
Now to my question (if you're still reading!) I am freaking big already at 5 weeks. I look like I did at 20 weeks with my first two pregnancies. I'm wondering if there are more than one in there. I know I'm only 5 weeks and it's impossible to know. I'm just wondering if it's possible for a cyst to contain an egg or if a ruptured cyst at the time of ovulation can cause an egg to split? I figured if anyone knew about these things, you ladies on the multiples board would! TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Possible multiples / Ovarian cyst rupture

• Options
    I'm not sure of the specifics of ovulation with a cyst rupture although kudos for getting your BD on after intense pain like that! Not fun I can imagine!

I have PCOS too which does make multiples slightly more likely, however, it's really impossible to know before an ultrasound. I found out at 6+3 so wait a week or two and get another scan if you'd like to know. Even with multiples your uterus is still below the pubic bone so it's unlikely you're showing baby currently. If it helps I didn't show until 12 weeks with mine as a FTM.
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy! Like pp said the only sure way to know if by ultrasound. From what I've read, drs still don't even really know why the egg splits to make identical twins so I'm not sure the cyst would have anything to do with it. But I'm not a dr! I would just sit tight and have an ultrasound in a few weeks to be sure!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker