High-Risk Pregnancy

7 weeks -- high blood pressure

So, I just got back from my first pre-natal appointment and I'm horrified and worried about my blood pressure reading. Granted, I was very nervous (I am phobic of doctors), but my BP was initially 150/100 -- they retook at the end and it was down to 140/90, but that is still obviously very high. I have never had high blood pressure before. I think the highest it's ever been is 120/75. So this is shocking and concerning. If it doesn't come down in two weeks, they will start me on beta blockers. I'm just nervous about the whole thing. I know of high blood pressure later in pregnancy but I have never heard of it starting this early. Any reassuring thoughts?

Re: 7 weeks -- high blood pressure

• I had high BP in my first trimester! It was a combination of the "white coat hypertension" being soooo scared every appointment, the constant fear of something happening to the baby, and the fact that I was extremely unhappy with my doctor (I switched during 2nd tri)...Mine was usually in the 130s/80s by the end of the appt, but at home it is usually around 110/65. They had me do a 24 hr urine collection to check for protein in my urine to make sure it wasn't pre-e coming on early, but it wasn't. I don't have much advice, just some hope that it could get better on its own!!
  • This is so helpful, thank you. What monitor do you use to test at home? My biggest fear is this might be "white coat hypertension", in which case I wouldn't need to be on beta-blockers at all. So it would be helpful to take some baseline measures at home to compare!
  • Loading the player...
  • Annieb813Annieb813 member
    edited November 2015
    Definitely starting taking it at home and write it down. I've had similar issues with it being high in the office and low at home and while some doctors take it into consider others won't which is crappy if you ask me. I use the reli-on electronic monitor and have tested it next to a hospital Bp monitor. I share your fear of doctors and it is something that is a real struggle when going to appointments, especially when worrying about baby is already on the brain. My doctor also said to watch sodium intake while pregnant as that can increase Bp some. Hope this helps. :)
  • Thank you, it definitely does!
  • I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 8 weeks. I never had high bp before. I have been on a small dose of labetalol since about 12 weeks. I monitor my bp twice a day at home. My dr is very pleased with how well the medication is regulating my bp. :) it's not the end of the world. Just eat right and drink plenty of water.