December 2015 Moms

What pads to buy??

Hi ladies! Hoping some STMs or nurses in the crowd can answer this question. I am trying to stock up on supplies for post baby-arrival, and have heard lots about the bleeding I'll experience and need for heavy duty pads and almost like diapers for the mom.

Well...what pads should I be buying to prepare?? I am assuming hospital will give me some but not enough and I bet my old ultra-thin always won't be enough for that first week. I don't really want to be worrying about leaking onto my bed.

Any advice on what to buy?

Re: What pads to buy??

• The biggest ones you can find!!!!! I considered diapers with my first but pads are fine. I didnt have a problem with leaking through them when sleeping (I bought walmart brand) its when you stand up thats the problem! You will feel a gush. When you sneeze or cough too. Probably blood and pee. The first couple weeks postpartum are not fun for the downstairs!!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • breezypipbreezypip member
    edited November 2015
    I googled this question last week and these were the ones I found recommended most offen so I bought them. ^^^
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anyone making padsicles? What pads are you using/recommend?
  • I got these for the first few days (purple wrapper): https://always.com/en-us/shop-products/menstrual-pads/maxi-pads/always-maxi-pads-extra-heavy-overnight-with-flexi-wings

Then I went to these after the flow went down (orange wrapper): https://always.com/en-us/shop-products/menstrual-pads/infinity-pads-with-flexfoam/always-infinity-overnight-pads-with-wings

I never used Depends because I didn't want to have to change my underwear every time I was going to the bathroom, which involves taking off your pants as well, or doesn't seem to be convenient if you were out and needed to use the restroom and change things. That is me assuming the Depends underwear and not if they have a separate type of pad. The pads worked fine for me with larger underwear that the pads would fit in.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I bought the Always Ultra Thin extra heavy overnight with wings. I thought about getting the Always diapers but when they didn't have them at the store I just went with the pads. While in the hospital I'm just going to use the stretchy underwear they have and their pads... But maybe bring a few of mine in case I hate them.
  • @ammnam14 I made padsicles this past weekend. I used CVS brand maxi pads with alcohol-free witch hazel, aloe Vera, and lavender essential oil. I am saving my ultra overnight ones for regular use. Can't wait to see if these padsicles really are a miracle!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Just get some granny panties and overnight pads... you should be fine with that.  Whatever brand is comfortable for you will work.  The hospital will give you a bunch too. 
    "There is more to us than we know. Perhaps, if we are made to see it just once, for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I purchased depends.
  • It sounds ridiculous but I found the thicker pads to be comfier on my sore parts than the thin pads.... No idea why. In any case, I bought a package of thick overnight pads and a package of ultra thin overnight pads for this time around. I figure I'll go through both eventually anyway, and this way I have options in case one is comfier than the other again. I think I bought Always brand for both packages.
  • I second always infinity overnight and super. They are so nice since they aren't bulky and you don't have that gross wetness feeling a lot of other pads give you.

I personally don't bleed very heavily after a few days, but you will get random gushes so it's nice to just be able to wear these pads and not feel like you're being weighed down since they feel so thin.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was in the hospital for a couple extra days with DS due to high blood pressure. While I was in the hospital and for the first few days I was home, I wore the mesh underwear and pads that the hospital provided. My bleeding slowed down after the first few days. Then I used regular maxi pads. I would have gushes upon standing, sneezing, and when bfing. My rule of thumb was to change my pad every time I had to pump or bf DS.
  • TomekiaBTomekiaB member
    edited November 2015
    Target has a $5 gift card with some of the Always purchases right now (buy 3), not sure if this works with multiple brands like the diapers did!

*eda--I found it $5 gift card with purchase of 3 select Always and Tampax items
  • Jumping on with a question.. My period is usually so heavy the huge Always overnight with purple wrapper are my regular pad. Does that mean I'll need a diaper for post partum or should I expect about the same as my regular period?
  • Jumping on with a question.. My period is usually so heavy the huge Always overnight with purple wrapper are my regular pad. Does that mean I'll need a diaper for post partum or should I expect about the same as my regular period?
    I was looking for an article that would approximate the amount of fluid that comes out during that time, but I only found articles that talked about how long and about how heavy the flow would be, like this one:

https://www.healthpages.org/care-after-vaginal-birth/physical-healing-after-vaginal-birth/

You can look up "lochia" for more articles about it.

Jamie

• I bought Always incontinence pads, they're more absorbent than pads and are super long as well. My mom discouraged me from getting depends because it's ultimately more work to take off a pair of "underwear" than to just change a pad. Made sense to me.
  • Perfect timing! Hot my pads last night
  • Also, another tip from a STM friend, buy one of those vinyl bed covers and put it on your bed under your mattress cover. If your water breaks or you leak post-partum in bed all you have to do is wash the mattress cover and sheets instead of trying to clean the whole mattress!
  • Prior to getting pregnant, I had a mirena and haven't really had a period in 7 years. Haven't used pads since before high school, so this aspect of the healing process is causing me a lot of anxiety based on how much I hated wearing pads back then. How long does super heavy lochia flow usually last?
  • I used Always Infinity and honestly I wish I hadn't bought the overnight. I'm 8 days pp and would have been just fine with the regular absorbancy once I was home after day 2. I buy the crazy absorbent ones every time and always kick myself when I wind up with 3/4ths of an unused box sitting around. I've heard multiple other women recommending Depends or using the overnight ones for two weeks or more though
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rzaremba said:

Prior to getting pregnant, I had a mirena and haven't really had a period in 7 years. Haven't used pads since before high school, so this aspect of the healing process is causing me a lot of anxiety based on how much I hated wearing pads back then. How long does super heavy lochia flow usually last?

https://www.healthpages.org/care-after-vaginal-birth/physical-healing-after-vaginal-birth/

You can look up "lochia" for more articles about it.

Jamie

• I bought a package of the always maxi ones in the purple wrapper and then a box of always ultra thin overnights. When I had my period before I would sometimes wear the maxi pad with a thin one sideways in the back of my underwear when I slept since I tend to sleep on my back and leak out the back part of pads.