High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

CT scan for pulmonary embolism...question

Hello ladies! Today I had an OB appointment and I got one of my breathless episodes. Which of course freaked out my doctor and was sent to ER to have me checked out. I usually get them out of nowhere, laying down or sitting watching TV or driving. They usually go away in three to five minutes but the one today lasted a good 15-20 mins. At ER they did some blood tests and the panel came back positive for PE so they had to do a CT Scan to make sure I didn't have any clots. Thankfully nothing showed on the CT Scan. However I had to sign a release cause radiation and the dye they use could affect my baby. Anyone had had to get a CT scan and did your baby have any problems? My OB said the risk of an undetected clot was way higher than the risk of a SCan but still... Anyone have any experience with this? Or PE that went undiagnosed by a CT scan?
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: CT scan for pulmonary embolism...question

• Options
    Did your doctor put you on injectable blood thinners?
  • Options
    Sorry I should explain that I have a history of DVT, not during pregnancy, however.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope. They said no clots go home. But I got breathless again in the car. I just hope it really is just hormones and pregnancy. I'm not so big that it's the baby crowding me yet which is why my OB was concerned.
  • Options
    skfgskfg member
    I am so sorry you are having this scare! I have experienced a DVT though not pregnant. You may want to call your OB tomorrow am to update them on having another breathless incident after leaving the ER. Try resting/sleeping on your left side, that may help you with breathing easier. Sending good vibes your way.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I know how scary this is. I don't have any answers for you except to say that you have to trust your gut and if you feel something is wrong, especially if it happens to that extreme again, do not hesitate to go back to the hospital. I do know that the D-dymer (sp?) blood panel can have false positives, which is why they have to follow up with CT or ultrasound anyway. Hopefully all is normal pregnancy stuff. This might sound like a nosy question, but could you be having panic attacks?
  • Options
    Lol! @krisdee123 it's okay. Nope. No anxiety no panic. I'm just a bit worried now that this is going to be my new "normal"
  • Options
    LittleBit3042LittleBit3042 member
    edited August 2015
    I had a DVT that went completely unnoticed during pregnancy (they're assuming). Two weeks after her birth I was hospitalized for a PE. I had to stop nursing my newborn for 72 hours when I had the CT with dye. I would trust the OB though. If they say it's ok through pregnancy I would get one. My PE HURT. My chest/shoulders hurt so bad, after several days I was out of breath all the time, etc. Hope you feel better soon :)
    After 3 losses,our rainbow baby is finally here! DD May 2012, #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I worked in a hospital ER for 5 years and saw a lot of pregnant women come through for similar reasons. A CT scan is a considerable amount of radiation as I'm sure they let you know (estimate is 500x a plain chest x-ray). What did your d-diner come back as?
    Honestly, I would have done what you did if it was significantly elevated and had the scan. A PE is a condition that can kill you very quickly and in my non-professional opinion the risk to yourself and your unborn child would have been a lot lower than the benefit of catching a potentially deadly medical condition. You would have likely had to sign out AMA if the ER doctor felt your PE risk was that high. As @krisdee123 stated there are false positives but given your specific experience I wouldn't feel bad about the decision.
    I'm sorry you are going through this. Not being able to breathe is scary on its own (I have asthma that has required emergency intubation). I'm very glad your scan was negative and that you got the care and tests that were appropriate. I'd be surprised if they didn't call your OB for consult but that's just protocol at the hospital I worked for. As PP said definitely call your OB on Monday but I'm sure that was already your game plan since you seem to be on top of things! Hoping you feel better and your symptoms lessen. Take care.
  • Options
    I've been pretty much the same. It happens about two or three times a day but OB went over everything and she said it is just my crazy response to hormones. Everytime it happens I just take a break sit down and breathe till it happens. It isn't painful at all just annoying. Yes I had to sign a release and I called my OB before ER doctor had me sign it and she said better safe than sorry and one CT scan shouldn't be such a big deal since we are already almost on the third tri, she would have worried more on the first tri.
  • Options
    I do CTs for a living, yes the radiation is considerable high, but if they put a lead sheild above and below your pelvis a good 60% of radiation to baby was eliminated. Also the contrast hasnt had much research for unborn children, but is most likely harmless, when we have some one breast feeding we only have them pump and dump for 8hrs primarily for possible iodine reactions not really for kidney failure. Not sure how far along you are, but if your baby were to be born today and survive they would have a chrst xray every day untill they are about 5 lbs which would be just as much radiation if not more than what it got from your ct scan. Yes technically radiation can cause life threatening birth defects, but it is more likely to do absolutely nothing.