Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

13 month old has never STTN

HELP! My 13 month okd has never STTN. Its starting to drive me crazy!!! She wakes up at least 3 or 4 times a night. Sometimes i make her a bottle but she never drinks it just wants me to pop the dummy in her mouth till she falls back asleep. Any suggestions

Re: 13 month old has never STTN

• I know this can be an unpopular answer, but I really suggest letting her cry it out. If she isn't hungry and doesn't need a diaper change, it seems like she wake up and just depends on you to get her back to sleep. We did the CIO method where you let the baby cry for five minutes at first and then go soothe, and then slowly increase the time between soothings. It is frustrating and during the night the crying seems SO MUCH WORSE, but it worked for us in the end. Our daughter went from needing nursing to fall asleep to self soothing in about a week. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have a strict bedtime routine that you stick to? That can be really helpful. Try starting about an hour before bedtime. An example of ours would be a warm bath, rub on some sleep inducing essential oils to make her tired, brush her teeth, pray, read two books, tuck into bed, and give her a nighttime blessing. The whole routine gets her calm and sleepy and makes her fall asleep quickly. Also, if the paci is the problem maybe you could consider weaning her off of it. That might help minimize the wakings.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ashdawn24 said:
    I know this can be an unpopular answer, but I really suggest letting her cry it out. If she isn't hungry and doesn't need a diaper change, it seems like she wake up and just depends on you to get her back to sleep. We did the CIO method where you let the baby cry for five minutes at first and then go soothe, and then slowly increase the time between soothings. It is frustrating and during the night the crying seems SO MUCH WORSE, but it worked for us in the end. Our daughter went from needing nursing to fall asleep to self soothing in about a week. 

It's a popular answer IMO. I agree completely.
  • We had a very hard time getting DS to sleep through the night, but we found certain tricks. Usually, he woke up because he wanted a pacifier, too. So, we bought several and lined his crib with them. That way, when he woke up, he would reach for one and be comforted more easily. Good luck!

• She only has one 2 hr nap during the day and usually wakes up at 1pm. She has dinner at 6.30pm a bath at 7.30 and in bed by 8pm. She has a bottle and falls asleep on her own. We have been doing this since she was 7 months old. The she is usually up by 11.30, ive let her cry it out it just gets louder and she gets more rilled up. I have NEVER taken her out of bed when she wakes up, usually just a dummy popped back in the mouth fix the blanket and off i go. Then again she wakes up at 2.30, maybe 4.30-5 and then shes up and awake by 7.30am
  • Your 13 month old only takes one nap a day?! That doesn't seem like enough sleep for a child that age. AND she's up from 1pm until bed at 7:30? That's a LONG time!

Each time she wakes up in the night do you just have to put the Paci back in or do you feed her?

I probably would still just leave her. She gets louder and more riled up because she knows you'll eventually come in, even just to pop a paci back in. She'll most likely stop that when you stop coming in.

It's tough though, I know.

• fadzak said:
    She only has one 2 hr nap during the day and usually wakes up at 1pm. She has dinner at 6.30pm a bath at 7.30 and in bed by 8pm. She has a bottle and falls asleep on her own. We have been doing this since she was 7 months old. The she is usually up by 11.30, ive let her cry it out it just gets louder and she gets more rilled up. I have NEVER taken her out of bed when she wakes up, usually just a dummy popped back in the mouth fix the blanket and off i go. Then again she wakes up at 2.30, maybe 4.30-5 and then shes up and awake by 7.30am

Wow. you need to seriously adjust your LOs sleep schedule. She should be taking two napes until 15 months at the absolute earliest. Normally one nap doesn't start until 18 months. And a baby being awake for 7 hours is way too long. Try moving her bedtime up by at least an hour. Maybe even earlier if you are stuck on one nap. She is probably overly tired, which might be why she isn't sleeping well.

And why is she sleeping with a blanket?

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• fadzak said:
    She only has one 2 hr nap during the day and usually wakes up at 1pm. She has dinner at 6.30pm a bath at 7.30 and in bed by 8pm. She has a bottle and falls asleep on her own. We have been doing this since she was 7 months old. The she is usually up by 11.30, ive let her cry it out it just gets louder and she gets more rilled up. I have NEVER taken her out of bed when she wakes up, usually just a dummy popped back in the mouth fix the blanket and off i go. Then again she wakes up at 2.30, maybe 4.30-5 and then shes up and awake by 7.30am

Wow. you need to seriously adjust your LOs sleep schedule. She should be taking two napes until 15 months at the absolute earliest. Normally one nap doesn't start until 18 months. And a baby being awake for 7 hours is way too long. Try moving her bedtime up by at least an hour. Maybe even earlier if you are stuck on one nap. She is probably overly tired, which might be why she isn't sleeping well.

And why is she sleeping with a blanket?

My 11 month old does. It's safe. Each parent should be able to determine what is ok in their LO's crib and what is not, especially when they are over a year old.

I agree with you on the rest though.

• Daughter did start taking only one nap at about 12 months, that's not too early depending on the kid. But added together the sleep should still be at least 14 hrs. total. (She would take a 3 or 3.5 hr nap in the middle of the day.) And blankets are fine at that age too.
    I'd agree with @Bigboobsmcgee to try letting her cry it out a little bit. It can be hard for the first couple of nights, but it really works!
    If you want to look into a book, I read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It has a lot of good "how to" advice for different sleeping troubles.
  • fadzak said:
    Would a morning nap help out in there? Maybe at 9:30-10 and then another at 2? Is she falling asleep with a bottle in her mouth? As I said, lining the crib with pacifiers helps for us, as that's primarily what my DS wants too.

• OK update - since posting this we have changed the sleep schedule! She has one nap at 10.30am then another at 2.30pm (each nap lasts one hour). We lined the crib with paci's and that hasn't helped much. Bath and bed time are still at the same time. I even made her dinner time half an hour later to assure myself that she isn't hungry.

@sorarose she does take the bottle in her bed once she has finished the bottle she will put her paci in her mouth and fall asleep on her own.

@Sarcasm101 the blanket has never been an I ssue with us - she quite comfortably knows how to sleep and move around while this is in the crib.

We are now trying to let her cry it out! Fingers crossed
  • Update fadzak!!?
  • Um not much to update.

We tried the cry it out method for 4/5ish weeks and that just went to crap. She would literally just cry and cry and cry and not give up. We tried the 5 min intervals at first then 10 mins then 15 mins, eventually we said lets try 30 mins and still nothing.

She is though now only waking up once which is an improment in itself. We were just hoping to get her to STTN before her brother is born in December however that doesnt look like ita going to happen.
  • Awwww I hear ya it's so tough!!! We did the CIO thing for a long time too and it made it worse as she started to resent bedtime and her bed etc. My LO has just started waking maybe once a night but then wanting to be up for the day at 4 AM! Which doesn't really count in my books! Hope it has just started waking maybe once a night but then wanting to be up for the day at 4 AM! Which doesn't really count in my books! happens for you soon!!! You're not alone...