January 2016 Moms
Options

Breast pumps

Bellema mango Breast pump is one I have my eye on. Are there any you would recommend for a first time mom? (I'm using tommee tippee bottles)

Re: Breast pumps

• Options
    I'm going with the Medela freestyle pump. I've heard they are the best and my insurance covers it.
  • Options
    I got the Medela Freestyle through insurance as well. It's pretty popular so I feel like it'll be decent enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an Ameda with my first 2. I am getting a Spectra 2 this time. Both were recommended by my LC over the Medela. They are the most heavily marketed, not necessarily the best. I didn't want one because BM can get back into the tubing and parts that can't be cleaned creating mold, etc.
  • Options
    I had Medela since that's what I got with insurance, but I loved it! Very reliable and quick to pump. It was double electric so 2 bottles in 10 minutes or less was pretty great. Obviously it's different for everyone, but it worked great for me.
  • Options
    I am getting the Spectra S2 as well. I was torn between that and the Medela and the Spectra seemed to have the features that work better for us.
  • Options
    I had a Medela Pump In Style with DD1 and I'm going to get the same with DD2 through insurance. I'm going to keep one at work and one at home.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    I had the medela pump in style with DS. LOVE it and it helped me to EP for almost a year. Will definitely be using again!
    Also their customer service was awesome when I was a little aggressive with it and broke the AC adaptor.
  • Options
    Going with the spectra 2 with baby #2, love the reviews, all in all sounds like it would work better for me this time around, and my insurance actually covers it! I used medela with my first cause my insurance covered it and I was 16 so I didn't really know, my OBGYN told me it was the best and who was I to argue! And spectra wasn't here with mg first 8 years ago!
  • Options
    My insurance covered the Medela Pump in Style.
  • Options
    I chose the Spectra 9S Advanced. I don't have an outlet at work since I will have to pump in the bathroom. We don't have enough employees that they have to give me a pumping room. My insurance covered either the Medela Freestyle or the Spectra 9S for rechargeable kinds, so it was between those. I would have chosen the Spectra 2 if I could have! I opted for the Spectra because it seemed easier to clean at work since it's a closed system. I read a lot of reviews and people were saying the Freestyle was annoying to clean and I didn't want to deal with that in a bathroom. I also liked that the Spectra has as massaging feature to encourage letdown. Another nice feature is the light and timer (from what the reviews said). On the negative side, there are more accessories for Medela and they are cheaper. Parts for Spectra usually have to be purchased on their website, and flanges are $30 for example. To me it was worth it for the piece of mind of the closed system and ease of use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    I purchased a medela 9 years ago for baby number one. Loved it to no end. Must and pumped over 12 months. Woth baby number two on the way (9 years later) i replaced parts for my pump for home and back up and splurged for the new on the go one for work. I'm so excited and can do nothing but recommend a medela breast pump.
  • Options

I purchased a medela 9 years ago for baby number one. Loved it to no end. Must and pumped over 12 months. Woth baby number two on the way (9 years later) i replaced parts for my pump for home and back up and splurged for the new on the go one for work. I'm so excited and can do nothing but recommend a medela breast pump.

I don't mean this in a snarky way, but if you've never used any other pump...you wouldn't know to recommend a different one, really.

I would really inspect that 9 year old pump though. Medela is an open system, which means particles can get into areas that can't be cleaned or sterilized and grow mold and bacteria. So even though you are replacing the tubing, etc. there's still a risk of contamination from that.