November 2015 Moms
Options

Nonstress Test

My doc wants me to take a NST (non stress test) because I will be pass my EDD. My question is if the baby is in distress will they induce me right away? Have any of you had the test? If so, what was your experience?
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nonstress Test

• Options
    It's a standard test for your situation and many of us have had it. If baby is in distress you will likely get a c-section. But you'll get better answers from your doctor as we don't know your situation.
  • Options
    Scope out the search button , as Ceridwen ^^ said many many of us have had them several times ( I myself was twice weekly since 28 weeks- so grand total of 11 weeks). They measure your contractions and look for baby's heart rate to increase upon movement. As for induction- no answer there. Check out the other threads and see others experiences.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If your NST is non-reactive or shows signs of baby being in distress they could very well take you in for a c-section to save your baby. Sometimes you get a biophysical profile during a NST or after a non reactive NST. A biophysical profile is an ultrasound where they check for 4 specific things (amniotic fluid level, fetal tone, fetal breathing movements, and body movement). They score your baby on a scale of 1 to 10. If the baby does not score well (4 and below is considered abnormal) the doctor will likely be ready to get baby out.

Like PP said you should definitely ask your doctor or nurse when they're hooking you up for the NST, or call before, because every pregnancy and situation is different.
  • Options
    Ok thanks I was just wondering how much preparing I should do...if I should come ready with hospital bag or just go like a routine doc appointment. I forgot to ask my dr. and I left a message and still waiting for a call back!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It wouldn't hurt to have your hospital bag with you. DH and I have had our bags in the car since week 35 since if we go to an appointment and something is up, we don't want to waste time going home (granted we live an hour from the OB/hospital so there's that)
  • Options
    rubirubi89rubirubi89 member
    edited November 2015
    At this point you should ALWAYS have your hospital bag with you.
  • Options
    oooonerooooner member
    edited November 2015
    I just had my 6th NST in 3 weeks. I've been told to eat right beforehand and also encouraged to have caffeine to make sure the baby is awake and reactive to get the best results. Basically from what I understand the doc wants to see at least three 15 second intervals in a 20 minute period where the baby's heart rate is sustained above 160 or so and then goes back down to normal to ensure baby is getting enough oxygen among other things. And that's not my opinion, that's what the nurses who do my NSTs say they have to see before they'll take the test print out to the doc for approval. They have had to buzz my poor baby boy almost every time to get him to react like they need and I'm really beginning to think these tests are pointless. Maybe I don't fully understand what the test is checking but if you have to poke and buzz and bother the baby purposely over and over again to get the results they want to see, how is that "non" stress and helpful at all? My baby has always "passed" after they mess with him (he got so worked up today that he even had the hiccups for 5 minutes) and I haven't had to have any ultrasounds afterward, so I suppose that's good? I'm just really glad I only have 2 more of these NSTs to go before my due date. I'm waiting in the patient room for my 38 week visit with the doc right now and plan on asking what the heck is the point of these NSTs in my case. At any rate I don't mean to scare you OP... just don't freak out too much about the NST because the results seem to be all over the place and if your baby isn't cooperating they will try to make he or she do what they need to see. Good luck to you.
  • Options

I don't really agree to always have it with you. That's a bit much.
    Last time I got sent to L&D for extra tests and monitoring twice and both times was told to go home and get stuff and eat before heading in.
  • Options
    ooooner said:

I just had my 6th NST in 3 weeks. I've been told to eat right beforehand and also encouraged to have caffeine to make sure the baby is awake and reactive to get the best results. Basically from what I understand the doc wants to see at least three 15 second intervals in a 20 minute period where the baby's heart rate is sustained above 160 or so and then goes back down to normal to ensure baby is getting enough oxygen among other things. And that's not my opinion, that's what the nurses who do my NSTs say they have to see before they'll take the test print out to the doc for approval. They have had to buzz my poor baby boy almost every time to get him to react like they need and I'm really beginning to think these tests are pointless. Maybe I don't fully understand what the test is checking but if you have to poke and buzz and bother the baby purposely over and over again to get the results they want to see, how is that "non" stress and helpful at all? My baby has always "passed" after they mess with him (he got so worked up today that he even had the hiccups for 5 minutes) and I haven't had to have any ultrasounds afterward, so I suppose that's good? I'm just really glad I only have 2 more of these NSTs to go before my due date. I'm waiting in the patient room for my 38 week visit with the doc right now and plan on asking what the heck is the point of these NSTs in my case. At any rate I don't mean to scare you OP... just don't freak out too much about the NST because the results seem to be all over the place and if your baby isn't cooperating they will try to make he or she do what they need to see. Good luck to you.

They also need a 5min baseline where baby's heart rate is maintained around 150. I have the opposite problem that you do; my baby is so active they have a hard time getting the baseline. I almost had to get sent from my dr office to L&D today but they got it on the last 10min try!!
  • Options
    lol yeah I don't have mine with me. DH can always run home and get stuff. If we need anything urgent, I'm sure the hospital will have it or a friend can get it for me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2015

@rubirubi89 Ummm, this is baby #3 and I have never taken my bag anywhere with me "just in case". Lol.
  • Options

Or at least have it packed and ready to grab. Trying to explain to your H which pajamas you want to wear postpartum can be a difficult task.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

They also need a 5min baseline where baby's heart rate is maintained around 150. I have the opposite problem that you do; my baby is so active they have a hard time getting the baseline. I almost had to get sent from my dr office to L&D today but they got it on the last 10min try!!

Good to know, that makes sense. I actually thought I'd have the "too active" problem because my baby is always moving, but he hates the monitors and gets stubborn with them on, so he's never himself at the tests. I'm glad you didn't have to go to L&D!!
  • Options

Or at least have it packed and ready to grab. Trying to explain to your H which pajamas you want to wear postpartum can be a difficult task.
    Right? I don't have anything perishable in mine so I don't see why putting it in the trunk of your car for the last week is not an option? Im basically a doomsday prepper so maybe its just me. :-?
  • Options
    I put my bag and car seat in my vehicle at 38 weeks. It was nice to just grab my purse and phone charger when I went into labor. But we also live 40 min from where I gave birth......
  • Options
    Yea I don't put the hospital bag in the car because I packed my electronics and I didn't want them to freeze in the car. But we have been having nice weather for the first time in ages in the Midwest :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chiac25chiac25 member
    edited November 2015

@Ceridwen77
    Yea my baby is pretty active. I had to come back for my 20 week ultrasound because she refused to sit still so they could get good pics! So we'll see how this one goes. Again thanks ladies for all your comments. I got some much needed insight.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I go once a week for nst. I generally eat right before and drink ice water so they see good movement. My observations said it checks his oxygenation and that my placenta is still functioning properly. They are supposed the last an hour but we have never stayed past 30 minutes. Up side it's nice to get to know the nurses in l&d before hand.
  • Options
    savyjohn1 said:

I go once a week for nst. I generally eat right before and drink ice water so they see good movement. My observations said it checks his oxygenation and that my placenta is still functioning properly. They are supposed the last an hour but we have never stayed past 30 minutes. Up side it's nice to get to know the nurses in l&d before hand.

My NSTs are done at my OBGYN's office, not L&D.
  • Options
    ooooner said:
    My NSTs are done at my OBGYN's office, not L&D.
    Too bad! The nurses actually know my name now! Good luck to you and baby!!