November 2015 Moms
Options

C Section Tips & Advice

Hi Ladies
Expecting twins in the next few weeks and both are breeched . C sec has been scheduled for 37 weeks. Looking for advice to best prepare prior, during and post.
Many thanks!!!

Re: C Section Tips & Advice

• Options
    There's SO much information out there, I couldn't even begin to spew out all what I've taken in (2nd c-section planned for 39 weeks) 
    the best advice I can give you for research is to use the search bar at the very top of the page and just read the articles The Bump has on them, and Pinterest has helped a lot!
    In a nutshell;
    Prior, we're making sure our house is super deep cleaned, making freezer meals that DH just has to pop in the oven, and making sure the house is set up and accessible to me after surgery. 
    During, breathe, and tell them if it hurts. 
    Post, walk but don't over do it. Don't skip pain medications (including stool softeners!). Keep hydrated. Have a pillow handy for sneezes, coughs, laughing, and car trips to apply pressure, it can be excruciatingly painful without the pillow. Enjoy the baby loves and accept all the help you can, especially with two little ones. 

Wishing you and your LO's all the best!
  • Options
    Try the C-section board here. Those ladies are pros.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Get some granny panties, maxi dresses and nightgowns; pants don't feel good rubbing against the incision. Ask your doctor/hospital if they are providing a binder for afterwards. Stay on top of your pain medication and definitely the anti-gas medication (you will be super bloated).
  • Options
    My grandmother bought me the depends diapers considering we don't know how much post partum bleeding I will have and last time I went through all my good and bad underwear BC of bleeding to much :/

I suggest loose cloths or dreases\nightgowns-the incision will be sensitive and irritated with all the rubbing.
    Don't push yourself to much, if you feel you can't do something listen to your body! Keep up on pain meds, you will be bloated and possibly constipated more than normal stool softener and anti gas will be your friend.
  • Options
    I'm scared :-SS :(( :-S
  • Options
    Before - Make sure you have a bag packed (having someone else pack it for you is awful). Don't worry too much about shaving/waxing as they will do that for you.

During - It will be freezing so be mentally prepared for that. Taking the baby (babies in your case) out is the shortest part, getting stitched back up seems like it takes forever! Realistically my entire procedure only took 20ish minutes. There will be A LOT of people in the room (especially if you are allowing residents to watch).

Most importantly, you'll be so drugged up you won't care about any of that.

After - I was in the recovery room for two hours and didn't get to hold DD1 until after. The robe they provide is all you'll need to wear until you leave (makes BF easier, you'll be on a huge bed pad which helps the nurses monitor your bleeding). When you do finally get to leave make sure you wear loose fitting clothes and high waisted panties (my scar is right on underwear line and still to this day low waisted panties irritate it). You won't be able to drive or lift anything over 10 pounds for a while. I didn't need any of the pain meds they gave me for at home, but if you do need them, be sure to take them. The hardest part of recovery was walking up stairs for the first day or two after arriving back at home, but the rest was a breeze. For me. :)
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited October 2015
    Reviving this thread, as I've been advised to ask for "gentle" cesarian and double suture stitches as part of the procedure, and skin-to-skin contact with LO immediately following (some hospitals do not allow it if you get a c-section).  I had wanted to also ask about whether or not delayed cord clamping was still an option (I don't really see why it would be an issue, but I want to be sure).
  • Options
    urby87 said:

Reviving this thread, as I've been advised to ask for "gentle" cesarian and double suture stitches as part of the procedure, and skin-to-skin contact with LO immediately following (some hospitals do not allow it if you get a c-section).  I had wanted to ask about whether or not delayed cord clamping was still an option (I don't really see why it would be an issue, but I want to be sure).

I got all of that with mine.
    Talk to your OB and make a birth plan.
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited October 2015

Pontot31 said:
    Reviving this thread, as I've been advised to ask for "gentle" cesarian and double suture stitches as part of the procedure, and skin-to-skin contact with LO immediately following (some hospitals do not allow it if you get a c-section).  I had wanted to ask about whether or not delayed cord clamping was still an option (I don't really see why it would be an issue, but I want to be sure).
    I got all of that with mine. Talk to your OB and make a birth plan.
    I meant ask the hospital about their specific policy on it.  Also just bumping to see if other experienced c-section mamas had any additional advice since so many of us are closing in on our EDDs.
  • Options
    urby87 said:

Pontot31 said:

urby87 said:

I got all of that with mine.
    Talk to your OB and make a birth plan.

I meant ask the hospital about their specific policy on it.  Also just bumping to see if other experienced c-section mamas had any additional advice since so many of us are closing in on our EDDs.

I had most of this with my elective section four years ago for naughty breech bub. We also had our own music playing and I asked for the sheet to be lowered once he came out. To be honest I couldn't even see my tummy or any gore, it's hard to lift your head up that high whilst you're on the table!!! husband was also allowed to do the cord... If it's not an emergency section they seem to be a lot more relaxed and attentive to little details like this. I'm in the uk but pretty sure most doctors would be the same. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm scheduled Tuesday for a Csection and I'm
    A FTM. I asked my obgyn about delayed cord clamping with CSections and she said she milks the cord so the baby gets everything in there. I guess that technique is a faster delayed cord clamping. And hopefully all will be well with squishy so I can do immediate skin to skin and breastfeeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    When I had mine on the 30th, they did do delayed cord clamping!!! I was happy to hear them tell me that because my dr had said they don't do it because it delays getting you stitched up.... But I guess the surgeon does