Infertility
Options

RMA NJ tips and advices

Hi ladies,

I have been reading a lot and see a lot of people going to RMA NJ. We are thinking about going there and want some tips and advices and have some questions please.

A little background, we've been trying a long time and had 3 recurrent MC, I have done HSG, clomid and IUI with menopur and bravelle injectibles, currently we are see South Jersey Infertility in Marlton NJ. I like them but looking for something more aggressive. We are thinking about IVF at RMA. The injectible were very hard for me and with monitoring being every other day or so and I live in south jersey. We are Torned and a bit confused, because we worry if it will be too stressful to travel to do it at RMA or not, but I heard they have the highest success rate.

1. I know a lot of people say you will end up seeing all of their doctors anyway, but Which doctor would you recommend?

2. I have blue cross and blue shield federal employee insurance and so far they have only covered my us, office visit, and some monitoring. They did not cover my meds or IUI. The billing lady at south jersey fertility pretty much told me no insurance company will cover any IVF or med expense.

But Since it's open season next month, Would anyone have any advice if any other federal employee insurance would cover more infertility meds or IVF?

3. And if not. Can someone give me a ball park on the cost of IVF at RMA.

4. What is the estimated Med cost for IVF? The meds were so expensive when I was doing the IUI. Even though I used the discounted pharmacy (Alexander), is there any other places you recommend to get meds cheaper?

5. I understand it might take a few tries for IVF to work, I've have seen some people signed up for next gen testing groups to save money. Is there any programs like that available now or any other ways to save money on IVF if your insurance don't cover anything?

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks for your help in advance. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: RMA NJ tips and advices

• Options
    Hi, i am a seasoned Vet with RMA,  4 years of treatments but blessed with 1 baby boy and 1 on the way.  Feel free to inbox me as it maybe easier to find time to chat.  

Also NJ is 1 of 15 states that mandate coverage.  Medications should be covered. 

• Options
    Message sent. Thank you
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The insurance company told me that since we have federal employee program. They are a federal program and are not required to follow state mandates :(
  • Options
    I'm currently going to RMA. My main Doctor is Dr Forman. But I have been seeing a lot of the doctors. All of them are great. I'm currently in my 3rd cycle of IUI. We just talked tues about IVF if this cycle doesn't work. I was told IVF can be $8000-10000 a cycle. I know that my 2.5 cycles of IUI were close to $6000.
    TTC since 2013 (loss mentioned)
    IUI #1 and 2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP - miscarried at 7 weeks
    started IVF cycle Feb 2016
    2/19 ER-- 20 Retrieved 12 fertilized 6 tested 
    2/26 -- 3 normal, 2 abnormal, 2 unconfirmed 
    4/3 transfer
    4/29 - Miscarried
    8/25 - transfer
    9/3 - BFP  -- fingers crossed...
  • Options

@wlchen2  I'm also at RMANJ.  It happens to be the closest facility for me.  The monitoring is very intense and it is often crowded because they have so many patients.  Weekend monitoring is the worst because not all RMA offices are open for monitoring.  As you already know, it s a time intensive process and the monitoring is tough if you have a job with "regular hours" that is not flexible about the situation.  that would be the only real stress I could foresee based on your location.  It's a bit of a haul from Marlton, but if you had the time/flexibility, it might be worth at least a try.  I cant speak to success rates, as we have only done our transfer a few days ago so I am in the waiting stage praying that RMA's states work for me!

It is a bit of a tough place to be a patient, for me, just because they do have so many patients and there isn't a huge sense of individualized care.  It's important that you have a good relationship with your nurse and like her a lot because she is really the only person you ever talk to.  It's hard to get a hold of the nurses tho, so it can be frustrating.  Because RMA does have such great stats they are exploding with patients and could probably use some more nurses!   But, if it works, I can deal with it!  

1.  Yes, you will see many, many doctors at RMA during the course of your cycle.  Outside of making a specific appointment to consult with your RE during your cycle you likely will only see him at your initial consultation and then at your transfer.  Unless he does monitoring.  Mine did not cover monitoring at any point in my cycle so I did not see him. 

2.  My understanding is that Federal employee insurance programs are exempt from the state mandates for fertility treatments (RIDICULOUS!!!) 

3. ballpark cost-- initial consult was approx. $400;  in cycle (monitoring plus retrieval, plus ICSI)  approximately 11K..  Embryo transfer is separate (don't recall off the top of my head sorry!).  BUT,  if you do have an initial consult with them, they will give you a full financial packet with the breakdown of everything from a cost perspective.  

4.  The meds were very expensive.   I think it was about 7K all in--BUT, I can tell you that they did over order for me--there is a ton of stuff that I didn't use so meds could probably be handled in a more cost effective manner.   

5.  there are definitely alternative financing arrangements.. If you go to the RMA website and look at the finance section, they refer to two separate ways to fund treatment.  You can also talk to a financial coordinator there about this as well.  

hope this helps, feel free to message me if you want to talk any more specifically!  

• Options
    @wlchen2 I haven't been impressed with RMA of NJ. I did 5 rounds of IUI with them, all unsuccessful. The last straw was when I requested a phone consult with my doctor to discuss next steps and she charged me $125 for 5 minutes if her time. I asked to speak with her because I was never assigned a nurse! I have since switched to RMA of PA and they're fantastic. I've had half hour+ conversations with my nurse and the personalized and individual care is amazing. Since they are both RMA organizations I can still use RMA of NJ for monitoring and procedures, but I have a team I'm confident in driving my protocol. And I definitely agree with whoever said monitoring hours at RMA of NJ are a nightmare on the weekend. I've been here for an hour and a half already and they still haven't called me back for blood work! Good luck.
  • Options
    cls78cls78 member
    edited November 2015
    Siggy warning IF Grad here......

I started at South Jersey Fertility with 3 failed IUI/Clomid Cycles. I don't blame them for that since IUI only has a 10-20% success rate, but I was not impressed with their success rates for IVF. During my IVF consult they only gave me a 30% chance of success with a double embryo transfer. I did my research and found RMA and consulted with Dr. Molinaro in Eatontown. I was given a 50-60% chance of success for IVF working for me. The Eatontown office is smaller and has a different feel then the bigger offices further up North. I almost always saw Dr. Molinaro for monitoring. Yes, sometimes monitoring was busy and early, but most fertility clinics only do early morning monitoring. All ER/Transfers are done in Baskin Ridge. I was oop as well, but RMA always has some sort of study they are doing that you can participate in. I was in the Nexgen study and pretty much got my IVF cycle for free. (That study is currently closed). RMA's lab is one of the best in the country. My first transfer was a success and I am now the proud Mom of 9 month old twin girls. I also have 8 more high grade embryos left on ice. RMA is defiantly worth at least consulting with. It was a long commute for me, but so worth it. GL.

TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I go to RMANJ morristown and have nothing but positive things to say. My doctor is Dr. Forman, but like many others have noted, you will see many, many doctors during monitoring, etc. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions! I had my ER last month, and after oHSS postponed my transfer until this month. Fingers crossed for you. Sending lots of positive thoughts!