August 2015 Moms

3 month not sleeping!

My little bubs is 3 months old and for about a month now I can't get him to nap for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. I've tried swaddled, not swaddled, in the swing, in the crib (ect). I feel like I've tried everything and nothing works. He is still getting up every 2-3 hours at night too. I feel like I'm drunk all the time because I'm so exhausted! Anyone else's babe not sleeping as well as hoped?!

Re: 3 month not sleeping!

• Unfortunately we are in the same position here, and to top it off I just got a cold!

My little guy is 14 weeks old and that's how long it's been since I've slept more than 3-4 hours at a time. He does one "long" stretch from 8 to 1230 or 1 and that's the only decent sleep I get every night, after that it's back to eating every 2-3 hours.

I feel like the walking dead and can't see any end in sight
  • Are you EBF? I read something that said if they are not getting enough hind milk they will do that. I've been keeping my son on one boob as long as possible to make sure he is getting enough and it has helped us!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am ebf. He only eats on one side anyways so I think he's definitely getting a good balance of fore and hind milk. And he's a chunk, he's almost 15 lbs! He has had some 5 and 6 hour stretches so I know he can go more than 2 hours. I keep reading about people's 10 months still not sleeping more than 3 hour stretches and it terrifies me!
  • A couple weeks ago I started wondering if my baby was waking up out of habbit and not because he was hungry. Its hard to get my baby on a daytime schedule but I have been able to get him on an evening routine. I give him a bath around 7pm, feed him 5oz bottle or nuse and then swaddle then its bedtime. At 1030pm we wake him to feed him and then he goes right back to sleep. Around 130 am he always wakes up. For a couple days when he would wake up at 130am I started just rocking him back to sleep and it worked. He would sleep until around 3am and when he woke up I could tell he was really hungry at this time. So for a few nights I just rocked him back to sleep at 130am. Then he started not waking up at 130am and slept until around 3. It was great! well that lasted a week and now he's back to waking up at 130am and I dont know what to do. I can no longer put him back to sleep at 130am...

So maybe try to see if you can put your baby back to sleep consistantly for a few days to see if they are actually hungry or just waking from habit.

I have also read that making sure your baby gets enough calories during the day will help with the night time feedings. I feed my 3 month old 5oz of breastmilk or nurse every 3 hours or less. Seems like a lot for a 3 month old and hes still not sleeping long stretches.

Sleep deprivation is no joke...

• In the mornings DD would do two one hour naps however that was due to me picking her up and thinking she wanted to be fed, this week when she got restless I have her her pacifier and she calmed down and slept for a further two hours, so what I thought was hunger it was actually her just waking up during her sleep and her wanting to go back to sleep.
    Maybe next time just give me them a soothing cuddle or if they do, give them a pacifier and see if that makes them sleep longer.