November 2015 Moms
Options

Mailing birth announcements

Are you planning on mailing birth announcements or not? I didn't even think about them and my friend asked me today if I would be sending them. So I wasn't sure if it is still common tradition to do it or not. We have a small family and small group of friends and they have all visited and know all the info that would be on a birth announcement. I also wasn't sure what the main purpose of the birth announcement is. I'm the first of my friends to have a baby and she's the first grandchild and grandniece for our family members so I haven't had any references to see what others have done. I just don't want them to think it's a way to look for gifts (because it definitely isn't!!) and I don't want to not send them if it is expected that people send them.

Re: Mailing birth announcements

• Options
    We plan on sending some out as Christmas cards/thank yous from our wedding last year. We had a hectic time moving, remodeling a house, moving (again) into said house, new jobs and pregnancy after our wedding and embarrassingly didnt finish all of our thank yous. So we plan on adding a "thank you for all of your support within the last year" as well as an update of what has been going on in our lives
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gapeach83 said:
    It's really a personal choice. I have done them and will do it for this one. They are not required. They are more a keepsake for family. I never heard of people sending gifts after receiving one. It's not tradition to send gift if you get one. Just a cute way to announce his arrival and for grandparents, aunts and uncles to have a little card. Some send them with thank you cards with anything that you received after the birth. If you don't want to do them don't it's definitely not required. I just like an excuse to show off my babies.
    This.  

We sent announcement cards for DS just for fun.  We sent them to our shower attendees and any other friends and family not at the shower.  This did not replace a thank you card for any gifts received (shower and otherwise), but more as a way to show off our little guy.  Plus I figured after all the time, money and energy family/friends put into our shower it was only right for them to "see" the little guy.  I certainly plan to send announcement cards again.
  • Options
    I think they are really sweet. I had my nieces up at work for over a year so people could see how sweet she is! I love having it up. We are planning on doing one too but doubling as a Christmas card. We bought a house (moving in the week before thanksgiving) so I thought it would be sweet to use our "sold" picture with us and baby to be our announcement/card.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs- they aren't required, but I think they're nice. We have a holiday card/birth announcement ready to go on minted- just have to insert a picture when the little gal/guy arrives! We're having the envelopes pre-printed with the recipient's addresses, so we won't have to do much to get them sent out :)
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Options
    We're gonna be mailing a nice announcement card from Minted around Christmastime. Can't afford to do gifts this winter since I'm not working so these will be our "gift!" :)
  • Options
    Also hoping to send out a Christmas card/ birth announcement combo. My only concern is EDD is 11/28 so not a lot of time to get pictures taken and then turn around make cards and get them sent out on time.
  • Options
    Hadntt really thought about whether it was expected or not. We're pretty simple and have a small family so I don't plan on it.
  • Options
    I'm planning to do a birth announcement/holiday card/here's our new address combo.  Might just plop her in some giant, novelty stocking for the photo.  Mostly I want to share a photo of my kid to friends/family, especially those who won't be able to visit us/meet her for awhile.
  • Options
    Not really doing a birth announcement. Just a family Christmas card.
  • Options
    We're doing announcements, but really informal--my husband designed them in photoshop and we'll be emailing them instead of printing. So much easier and cheaper!!

Of course, my mom already made a big announcement on facebook without asking us first (thanks a lot mom) including all the fun info so I feel like she kind of stole my thunder. 
  • Options
    We did with my daughter with the NB pictures we had taken. This year we will likely combine it with our Christmas card.
  • Options
    I always love getting birth announcements from friends and family, they go up on my fridge! We'll probably use them as our Christmas/new year's card this year since it will be so close by the time we get them out.

You can get them printed on websites like Vistaprint if you have photos to use, they're inexpensive and always have coupons online. We do our Xmas cards from there every year. Make sure to look up a coupon code first, I never pay full price there!
  • Options
    I've gotten so many shutterfly coupons with my baby stuff, so I'll probably take a Christmas picture of the babe and make some sort of Christmas card/birth announcement on there.
  • Options
    We're sending birth announcements after we take his newborn pics. We don't expect a gift in return, but we want to let our family know that our little guy is here.
    Regarding Christmas cards, we don't send them. We dress our dogs in their Christmas attires (this year, they will be sitting around our son) and we post the pic on social media.
  • Options

I've gotten so many shutterfly coupons with my baby stuff, so I'll probably take a Christmas picture of the babe and make some sort of Christmas card/birth announcement on there.

Yeah, same here, soo many shutterfly promos! I will definitely be using those. I think they are super sweet!
  • Options
    Not sure if you ladies got one but when you register at target they give you a shutterfly coupon for $20. They have some cute cards. You can to traditional birth announcement or Christmas.
  • Options
    We will for sure do announcements! I love making them. I'm thinking I will slip them in with our Christmas cards this year, along with our updated family photo!
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    We're doing the announcement / Christmas card. The one I like is "no more silent nights"....I had his newborn pictures done last week and for one we used a Christmas hat I had ordered from etsy. So precious! That will probably be our card.
  • Options
    We are another "Christmas card/announcement combo family". I can't justify spending for two separate cards and double the stamps. We will use a photo from the photographer the hospital provides if we can magically make it so the photographer comes the same time my son meets the baby. If not we will just a photo ourselves.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    I am as well just sending out a Christmas card with the newborn pictures of baby :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have family across the country so well are mailing announcements. The stamps are expensive and we have to do them right away but every time we get one from extended family it makes us feel special and we have all of the.m on our fridge from our friends and family.
  • Options
    We plan on doing the Christmas card/birth announcement combo too. My husband and I are both into photography and I do print layout/design as part of my job so we'll come up with something cute (hopefully). Or, I will be too exhausted to be creative and I'll just plop something into Shutterfly's pre-existing designs.

We're having twins

Our angel baby boy is looking over his twin sister - due November 21