May 2016 Moms
Options

Gender at 12 weeks 4 days

i had my Nuchal last week and she showed us a picture of the babies legs we were looking at them from the bottom. Afterwards I thought to myself, "I didn't see a penis?!" Does that mean its probably a girl? Did anyone find out at 12.5 weeks and have a picture they could share?

Answers

• Options
    It's too early. They all have a small nub at that stage, so it's just not possible to tell for sure.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    It's crazy how much the genitalia look alike at that point.  There is the angle of the dangle theory that can be pretty accurate if someone knows what they are looking for.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i had my Nuchal last week and she showed us a picture of the babies legs we were looking at them from the bottom. Afterwards I thought to myself, "I didn't see a penis?!" Does that mean its probably a girl? Did anyone find out at 12.5 weeks and have a picture they could share?
    I don't think most of the ladies here will appreciate you asking for pictures of their babies' crotches?? :-?  But that aside, I think a) most likely it's too early to tell, and b) unless you're trained to read ultrasounds how on earth do you know what you're looking at, anyway.
  • Options
    Agree with PPS- its too early. My tech this week told me that SOMETIMES they can tell, but they wont reveal the info this early (for the most part) because they might not be too accurate.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I think it's way too early to tell with any certainty. My doctor has me on the schedule for 16 weeks and he said we "might" be able to tell for sure at that point.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I couldn't see a penis at my 12 week ultrasound and I knew from genetic testing that I am having a boy. Too early :-)
  • Options
    Too early.

Was your baby healthy? That's something to celebrate!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I had my scan yesterday and at one point, I said is that the penis ( we know it's a boy). The tech said it could be labia cuz they look very alike at this stage. A minute later she said " oh now in that view, definitely a penis!" But most techs won't predict at this stage cuz everything looks the same so early on!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My sono tech told me 80% chance girl, and the 2nd tech a week later agreed, but will never confirm. You can go to places that will confirm around 14 weeks, but 16 weeks and above is most accurate.
  • Options
    We found out during my ultrasound at 12 weeks 2 days that we're having a boy. It was very obvious and confirmed by the genetic testing afterwards.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The penis and vagina look the same In the 12th week
  • Options
    I just had an ultrasound today. I'm 12 weeks 5 days and I couldn't see much in the male/female department. I asked the technician if it was too early and she said definitely. I'll be going in again around 16 weeks to do an anatomical scan and we will find out then.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    LovePup17 said:

We found out during my ultrasound at 12 weeks 2 days that we're having a boy. It was very obvious and confirmed by the genetic testing afterwards.

I'm totally not being snarky here.. im just wondering, how was it very obvious? The sex organs look the same at 12 weeks. Sometimes you can use nub theory (the angle of the dangle) to predict sex but I wouldn't call that VERY obvious.
  • Options
    I found out at 12 weeks 2 days and my ultrasound tech was extremely confident that it's a boy. His exact words were "I guarantee it!" A lot of people are naysayers but Google the angle of the dangle- it's not a theory. It's extremely accurate. If the nub is less than 30* (looks like laying flat) that indicates girl. If it's greater than 30* (angled upward) it indicates boy. Just check out some credible websites that explain it in detail and you'll see!
  • Options
    Oh and here's a potty shot for ya bulges sound tech mentioned that a boy starts becoming more triangular shaped as he develops which you can see here. Don't let these fun sponges ruin it for ya!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    lalalo21 said:
    Original poster didn't reference nub theory or mention that her tech used it to make a call. OP looked at the screen and didn't see a penis and is wondering if that means it's a girl. At this point no, it doesn't mean that.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I see. Well I was responding to some of the posts that say it's not possible to tell at 12 weeks. My bad.
  • Options
    I just had my NT scan (level II sono) and the sonographer was quite certain baby A is a boy. For baby B she couldn't get a good enough angle to see. This was yesterday, 12 weeks, 5 days.
    On a random note, it feels really anti-climatic to find out in a Dr's office after being team green for my first two kids. Oh well! Maybe I'll do something cheesy and fun to discover baby B's sex.