May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• @ncm0328 In our city only one Starbucks will be open on Christmas and it's entirely volunteer for all the employees at all the stores in town. That I think is a good compromise. I think everyone should be closed on thanksgiving and Christmas; but some of my coworkers don't celebrate either so it makes sense for them to get the big bucks on those days.

• Another UO - I think the Baby Name board here kinda sucks because it is totally dominated by a group of very narrow minded people.

I've thought this too! I don't care for a majority of the names. Then if you mention a name slightly different, not even you-neek, you get ridiculed. 

Exactly why I haven't posted any of the names on my list. Mine are way unique, and I love that most about the names on our list, I want my child's name to be as unique as he or she will be and I find that extremely important. I personally don't care for extremely popular names, you don't see me on there shooting everyone down who posts a popular name.
  • Loading the player...
  • Cherry starbursts are the worst.

Omg someone else agrees with me!!!!
    Both user names start with Jess/ clearly alter egos trying to start a war.

Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • NOLA520 said:

Cherry starbursts are the worst.

Cherry is the red one, right? Because if so, I'm right there with you also.

Yellow are my favorite.
    Yes, the red...ew. I love yellow too! It's perfect at my house because DH loves red and hates yellow and I'm the opposite :) so I don't steal his candy and he doesn't steal mine lol

Haha I honestly didn't notice this! That's too funny!
  • Does BF even have good sales anymore anyways??
    I remember the TTC board was the place to be years ago when I was TTC and there was no banning, warnings, etc. You couldn't cuss but admin wouldn't close posts and the such. I find it hilarious that the ones that really get their feelings hurt for something ridiculous have a hard time stepping back and maybe asking themselves are they being a little hormonal???

My UO is I don't really like the 1st tri and 2nd tri boards. I feel like they are dominated by women that aren't necessarily pg (not that that's a problem but they seem to be a bit harsher than the ones that are pg) who rarely have anything positive to say and for the most part only jump in when either the conversation has turned nasty or one of their group is being attacked and isn't able to hold their own. I'm not talking about on the posts where people are asking if they're pg or if they want a shot at the newest sex predictor...It's like they're just on here waiting to pounce on someone and being helpful or nice when there isn't anything flammable going on.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Does BF even have good sales anymore anyways??
    I remember the TTC board was the place to be years ago when I was TTC and there was no banning, warnings, etc. You couldn't cuss but admin wouldn't close posts and the such. I find it hilarious that the ones that really get their feelings hurt for something ridiculous have a hard time stepping back and maybe asking themselves are they being a little hormonal???

My UO is I don't really like the 1st tri and 2nd tri boards. I feel like they are dominated by women that aren't necessarily pg (not that that's a problem but they seem to be a bit harsher than the ones that are pg) who rarely have anything positive to say and for the most part only jump in when either the conversation has turned nasty or one of their group is being attacked and isn't able to hold their own. I'm not talking about on the posts where people are asking if they're pg or if they want a shot at the newest sex predictor...It's like they're just on here waiting to pounce on someone and being helpful or nice when there isn't anything flammable going on.

Are you referring to....

Image result for big ang

cat fail animated GIF

• @yogahh she was the first to alert me to her and her kind. If you'll notice she picks and chooses when to be nice and when to be not nice. I'm assuming you remember my first tri rant about letting myself go where she jumped in telling me what I needed to do...Fast forward to a post I think last week where people jumped on a girl for I don't even remember and she stood up to the girls essentially flaming them for acting how she was to me. Yes, I was immature and totally called her out on it. I'm somewhat ashamed but not fully. To go a little further.... that group likes to tell people where their posts should go to. I think that's kinda shitty. I'll post where I want dang it!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• schicksal said:
    swflJD said:
    My UO is along the same lines as some PPs in that I HATE Christmas music. I have no objection to Christmas in general. I actually like the lights and decorations, and I put up a tree (though not until after Thanksgiving). But the music and carols drive me bonkers - especially when every retail store starts blasting it as early as November.
    You're supposed to post unpopular opinions, not the truth that Christmas music is in fact awful, especially the super old 1980s style synth music that everyone seems to like for some weird reason.

My UO is also related to music and may also be is really truth. That is, country music is terrible! Give me trance/progressive/good drum n' bass (see: Goldie) instead.

@shicksal I dunno if I would consider trance "good music" ;), but I totally agree that country music is not country music.  I'm not saying I don't like some of it, but some of it is soooo bad.  Red Solo Cup?  Johnny Cash is rolling over in his grave!!!

What's an example of a popular 1980's synth-style Christmas song?  I could be dense here, but I just can't think of it.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• @yogahh she was the first to alert me to her and her kind. If you'll notice she picks and chooses when to be nice and when to be not nice. I'm assuming you remember my first tri rant about letting myself go where she jumped in telling me what I needed to do...Fast forward to a post I think last week where people jumped on a girl for I don't even remember and she stood up to the girls essentially flaming them for acting how she was to me. Yes, I was immature and totally called her out on it. I'm somewhat ashamed but not fully. To go a little further.... that group likes to tell people where their posts should go to. I think that's kinda shitty. I'll post where I want dang it!
    I remember your post, and I think she was way too harsh in her reply to you.

cat fail animated GIF

LOL.  Conspiracy!!!  We're just tired of the crappy reds getting all the love.  Pink and yellow all day.
    Married in 2011

• @yogahh and for the record...I've gotten my shit together WITHOUT her help! haha. I think it's the Zulily I now have in my life. I'm getting my eyebrows done this afternoon AND next week I'm getting my roots done! Look out world! I'm back!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• mrstmoose said:

My actual UO is I hate it when people (clients) show up 30-45 minutes late to an appointment and I'm expected to still see them. Why? It's not my fault they weren't here on time. It's not my job to sit around and wait for people to show up whenever they want. Rude.

We have a 15 minute rule at my agency, which I feel like a dick enforcing, but it's really really helpful for this kind of thing!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • @lionstigersbears that tends to be my rule but when I'm a contractor, I have to go by their rules. Which is dumb.
  • Wait wait wait....so I can be a bigger brat and you all will like me MORE?! :-bd
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • yogahh said:
    @yogahh she was the first to alert me to her and her kind. If you'll notice she picks and chooses when to be nice and when to be not nice. I'm assuming you remember my first tri rant about letting myself go where she jumped in telling me what I needed to do...Fast forward to a post I think last week where people jumped on a girl for I don't even remember and she stood up to the girls essentially flaming them for acting how she was to me. Yes, I was immature and totally called her out on it. I'm somewhat ashamed but not fully. To go a little further.... that group likes to tell people where their posts should go to. I think that's kinda shitty. I'll post where I want dang it!
    I remember that thread too, and I thought she was unnecessarily aggressive. I also find those boards a little frustrating, most of the posts are to tell people why their post is not OK and where they should have posted it. 
  • yogahh said:
    @yogahh she was the first to alert me to her and her kind. If you'll notice she picks and chooses when to be nice and when to be not nice. I'm assuming you remember my first tri rant about letting myself go where she jumped in telling me what I needed to do...Fast forward to a post I think last week where people jumped on a girl for I don't even remember and she stood up to the girls essentially flaming them for acting how she was to me. Yes, I was immature and totally called her out on it. I'm somewhat ashamed but not fully. To go a little further.... that group likes to tell people where their posts should go to. I think that's kinda shitty. I'll post where I want dang it!
    I remember that thread too, and I thought she was unnecessarily aggressive. I also find those boards a little frustrating, most of the posts are to tell people why their post is not OK and where they should have posted it. 
    ***Jumps over to first tri to see the thread***   Oh wow... thanks for the entertainment.  That was.... interesting. !
    Married in 2011

• schicksal said:
    swflJD said:
    My UO is along the same lines as some PPs in that I HATE Christmas music. I have no objection to Christmas in general. I actually like the lights and decorations, and I put up a tree (though not until after Thanksgiving). But the music and carols drive me bonkers - especially when every retail store starts blasting it as early as November.
    You're supposed to post unpopular opinions, not the truth that Christmas music is in fact awful, especially the super old 1980s style synth music that everyone seems to like for some weird reason.

My UO is also related to music and may also be is really truth. That is, country music is terrible! Give me trance/progressive/good drum n' bass (see: Goldie) instead.

@shicksal I dunno if I would consider trance "good music" ;), but I totally agree that country music is not country music.  I'm not saying I don't like some of it, but some of it is soooo bad.  Red Solo Cup?  Johnny Cash is rolling over in his grave!!!

What's an example of a popular 1980's synth-style Christmas song?  I could be dense here, but I just can't think of it.
    Johnny Cash is the one exception to the rule, IMO he's ok. My mom listens to country music in the car so I get a dose of whatever they're playing at the moment when I go visit. To be honest to me it sounds vaguely like pop with an electric violin thrown in for good measure.

The Christmas music I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of is the mannheim steamroller one. It's especially grating to me. Every year you could tell it's Christmas time because mom would bring her bright red boom box into the kitchen and that tape along with a couple of others, and I swear she would play it at least once daily.
  • @schicksal Noooo!  I love jamming out to Trans Siberian Orchestra's version of Carol of the Bells!   Lol.

Bah bada dum, bah bada dum, bah bada dum....  It's stuck in my head now.
    Married in 2011

• @TXmamatobe Were you D13? I feel the same way about this board and your name is familiar to me...D13 was CRAY!

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• RanFan28 said:

@TXmamatobe Were you D13? I feel the same way about this board and your name is familiar to me...D13 was CRAY!

YES!!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • vinerie said:
     But I will say that TTGP was hilarious and always good for entertainment. So even with the BGs ruling things, I think that it is possible to lift a board up, in terms of entertainment value. But there definitely is a critical mass of ladies over there who set a tone for healthy, smart snark and entertainment. 

I actually hated the TTGP board last summer when I tried to participate. I was constantly put down. There was one person there who, no matter what I said, called me names, told me I was stupid, etc. And everyone always seemed to side with her! It could have been something as minor like participating in a "how did you spend your weekend" thread to get to know people, she'd get all up in my face. I never reported her, just gave up on the board and left. If it had just been one person, whatever. But, like I said, everyone always supported her when she was a TW towards me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• RanFan28 said:

@TXmamatobe Were you D13? I feel the same way about this board and your name is familiar to me...D13 was CRAY!

YES!!!!
    Oh, HAAIII! :-h

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• countrygrl5533 it's definitely an UO to disparage TTGP!

But, FWIW, I'm sorry you felt alienated; that's never a good thing. TTGP is an acquired taste. I didn't "get it" at first and spent a lot of time lurking, mostly learning about temping/charting, etc. I discovered FF there which was amazing.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• @vinerie I did learn about FF there so not a total loss. I lurked for a month then participated for 6 weeks before I got fed up with the severe lack of support and left. It was easier to deal with the TTC journey alone than dealing with that craziness. I called the person out once and asked why she hated me so much and all she said was "you just don't get it." Nope. I don't. That's why I asked. Wish I would remember the person's screen name but most likely, she joined the migration back in January.

Maybe it's better over there now. I don't mind a little snark but full on attacking is uncalled for.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I agree this board is tame. I will try harder to share my random thoughts. I think that would help, everyone just throw in the unnecessary.

UO time. Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani? No thank you. Also, I am aware I don't know them and it is none of my business, but I just cant get on board with this couple. I don't watch the voice. I feel like Miranda had major RBF at the CMA's last night. Can you imagine? Why did that news break two hours before they had to be around each other? I mean, they were married. I can't imagine having a bad split and having to show up somewhere where your ex is and everyone's all, take a look at this headline news.

Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • @vinerie I love that you just dropped the phrase "critical mass" in your description. For a moment I was transported back to physics lectures.
  • Unicorn522Unicorn522 member
    edited November 2015

Oh gosh! I just skimmed through that thread. You sure do attract some gems @doozer1345 Haha. That's why the BMBs are better, for the most part the people here are all due in May. I agree that it's been tame here. My old BMB (I had my old account deleted during the mass exodus) was more entertaining. We will get there, I hope! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NOLA520 said:
    TBH, the vibe of this board got really weird for me when we started getting a billion stickies and obsessing about people not posting any duplicate threads ever ever ever and it's just felt very naggy. Like we're several months in now and people are STILL talking about it. 

Like, I get that board organization is important, but it's a buzzkill to have to read about it constantly when it's really NOT that big of a deal. You really actually CAN just scroll past threads you know are going to be dupes. Chances are pretty good that the people not reading the preexisting stickied threads and posting new ones are going to get bored by the lack of response and just mosey along. 
    I disagree. Without the organization it becomes repetitive. And that's what makes it a snoozefest. 

Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• NOLA520 said
    Except despite all your attempts at organizing the hell out of the board, there are still repeat threads. 
    And if people would read the TOU instead of just posting the 1st thought that comes to their mind, they would see that it is highly recommended to search 1st before starting a new thread. We don't just tell people to search first because it is good for our health. It actually is a guideline of this forum, and its just in good form not to ask the same mundane questions repeatedly. It HAS gotten better though!

cat fail animated GIF

• I typically use the bump on my phone and the search doesn't work. It wont specify the board I want to search. I knew there was a thread in May'16 about a topic but I couldn't find it so I did a search and Yes I did specify May'16 but it came up with items from years ago. I've since tried with topics on the front page and still its bringing up old content. I rarely ever start topics for fear that people will come at me with pitchforks since I can't really search and don't feel like slogging through 20 pages of stuff to see if it exists.

And On topic ... my UO is what is with the obsession with Ryan Gosling?! I don't get it. I really just don't see it. I get that different people have different tastes and perhaps I have strange taste. But really . . . Bleh!
  • Kurrant said:
    I typically use the bump on my phone and the search doesn't work. It wont specify the board I want to search. I knew there was a thread in May'16 about a topic but I couldn't find it so I did a search and Yes I did specify May'16 but it came up with items from years ago. I've since tried with topics on the front page and still its bringing up old content. I rarely ever start topics for fear that people will come at me with pitchforks since I can't really search and don't feel like slogging through 20 pages of stuff to see if it exists.

And On topic ... my UO is what is with the obsession with Ryan Gosling?! I don't get it. I really just don't see it. I get that different people have different tastes and perhaps I have strange taste. But really . . . Bleh!
    I feel like it has been a long time since anyone has been flamed for posting a duplicate thread. I mean, how many sex and maternity clothes threads have there been that everyone just responds to nicely? I personally don't engage in any back and forth about forum etiquette because I don't have a strong opinion about it at this point but I certainly haven't read anything I thought was mean. If anything, I think there have been more overly sensitive over reactions to people having a bit of snarky fun and reminding people to read the TOU's.

I do wish there were less stickies, but most of those came from the BGs. 
  • kami09kami09 member
    edited November 2015

I agree this board is tame. I will try harder to share my random thoughts. I think that would help, everyone just throw in the unnecessary.

UO time. Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani? No thank you. Also, I am aware I don't know them and it is none of my business, but I just cant get on board with this couple. I don't watch the voice. I feel like Miranda had major RBF at the CMA's last night. Can you imagine? Why did that news break two hours before they had to be around each other? I mean, they were married. I can't imagine having a bad split and having to show up somewhere where your ex is and everyone's all, take a look at this headline news.

Ugh! Agree!!! I do watch the voice and must say I find Gwen very annoying. They just don't seem to fit...at all.
  • @NOLA520 - I usually only have 1 or 2 purses in rotation. They are designer, but I always buy them online during Christmas sales. I don't buy them because I care that you see the label, I buy them because the leather and quality is top notch and they last forever. My current "main" purse is a Kate Spade I bought on sale for maybe $150 two Christmas sales ago, and I use that purse every day. I bring it on airplanes and shove my ipad, water bottle, and books in it then shove it under the seat. I take it to lunch and throw it on the ground and accidentally run the leg of the chair over it. I've had things spill inside of it. Not to say that I don't take care of nice things, but it's just the causalities of having a purse for close to 3 years, and the damn thing is indestructible. If you're buying a piece of crap for the label, then I totally agree with you. But there are some higher end products that are better made. I'm not buying them to impress you. I'm buying it because I can buy something nice that I use daily and not need to buy another one for years.

On another note, my husband and I have an engagement picture in the same place almost as your profile pic.

• @Jesse835235 I know right?! I actually got a closed discussion! Actually, I think by about half of it I was already out of it but it ended up pretty crazy.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• @schicksal Noooo!  I love jamming out to Trans Siberian Orchestra's version of Carol of the Bells!   Lol.

Bah bada dum, bah bada dum, bah bada dum....  It's stuck in my head now.
    The tape started with Deck the Halls I think. 

Weeeeer naaa nee na na na neeer naaaaaaaaaa

Erg. Luckily neither of us like it so we torment each other in other ways instead. Our musical tastes aren't aligned, but when we met we both listened to some industrial and gothic. It might even have a little to do with why we're together now - we sat around and talked about music for a long time that evening. Kind of funny how everything works out.
  • @NOLA520 - Good call. We do Chistmas shopping early too, but in general have a mutual non-economic destruction policy with family with regard to presents. My family is extremely small and they're all older (60s+) and they don't need anything. We're minimalists and don't want anything either so we'll send something edible or a gift card typically. Since everyone is scattered across the country it means much more to actually see someone anyway than send something in the mail.

I also don't understand spending huge amounts on baby stuff. We've been hitting up a few garage sales for lightly used stuff and will probably visit the second hand kid's stuff store 3 blocks away sometime after the next doctor's appointment. They grow so fast and they can't tell the difference anyway.
  • To any who take issue with a little snark about repeat posts....sure repeats can be annoying to some and not others who pass it by....but that's part of the problem. If we are all passing it by because it's a repeat, that person isn't getting meaningful responses from the community that they would if they found the original thread. More important than that to me is the posts (that happen to be repetitive) that are just stupid. Sorry, but Ramzi yo'self.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • @NOLA520

About the insane baby gear spenders.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs