Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

6 month old cried so hard he stopped breathing and turned blue! Help!

Hello,

I was bringing my very tired 6 month old into his house and barley bumped the back of his head on the door as I walked in. It was like a light brushing against the back of his head. I knew because he was so tired he was going to cry, he did cry, big time! It escalated very quickly and after a couple cries he absolutely could not catch his breath, he turned blue! I was freaking out, I put him upside down and gave him a wack on his back and he caught his breath. It took him a few minutes to calm down. I have never been so scared. Does anyone have experience with this? I have read that it's an involuntary holding of the breath and that he will grow out of it, I will definitely be taking an infant CPR class.

Re: 6 month old cried so hard he stopped breathing and turned blue! Help!

• Options
    Correction, in our house*
  • Options

That is terrifying. Why didn't you call the Pedi instead of posting here?!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did, they said to have him checked out in the ER. I told him he fell asleep and should I wake him up. They said, not to but to take him in after he wakes up, so I'm posting while I wait. I was hoping someone would have experience with this.
  • Options
    It happened to me once & scared me to death. My baby boy cried so hard & looked as if he didn't know how to breath when he's 3 months old & his face turned red...

I didn't know what I could do but then I instinctively blew air into his mouth & he turned normal again. Guess I was thinking of first aid skills.

Glad I took some first aid courses before.
  • Options
    Must have been terrifying for you!

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    Both my dd and ds1 did this. My daughter actually passed out a few times, my son only once. They automatically start breathing once they're out, but holy cow that is the longest, scariest moment ever!