November 2015 Moms
Options

37+5 Doc predicts 8-8.5lb baby and Possible C-Section

Doc said that if we go full term there is a possibility of us not being able to bet the baby out. I am a pretty big girl 5'10 about 230 pounds now. Wondering if anyone else's OB's have warned them of the same thing. We are excited....

Re: 37+5 Doc predicts 8-8.5lb baby and Possible C-Section

• Options
    Im right there with you. Im 37+3 today. At our growth scan last week he was measuring 7.5 pounds and that was the low estimate so could be more. My doctor said next week at my appointment we will do an internal exam and make decisions to possibly induce or have a csection based on that.

• Options
    Yea - Doc said If I am fully effaced and 3 cm he would advise induction. He also said if I remain at 50% eff and finger tip dilation he would not recommend it. Kinda wishing he would arrive soon so labor will be a bit easier. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby was predicted to be 9lbs at 38 weeks and I pushed out a 9.8 lb baby at 40+3 with no issue whatsoever.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I can't see an 8lb baby warranting a csection, 10+lbs I can see getting concerned maybe, but not 8lbs.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    At my 38wk MW said my baby was estimated at 7lb 14oz. When I went into labour at 40wks 6days guess how much DD weighed...?? 7lb 14oz!! Goes to show that estimates can be wrong & shouldn't be taken literally. Plusalso DS was 8lb 6oz & I delivered him vaginally with no tears or stitches. So why has your Dr told you that if you go full term you may not be able to deliver vaginally? Is there a medical reason? It baffles me!

• Options

I can't see an 8lb baby warranting a csection, 10+lbs I can see getting concerned maybe, but not 8lbs.

This. My doctor said that she and most reputable doctors would not even discuss a c section (because of babys size) unless baby was at least 10 pounds. And there are women that have delivered 10 pound babies vaginally.
  • Options
    My friend delivered an 11.3 pound baby vaginally unmedicated. And when she stood up to get out of the tub, her exact words were "that wasn't even that bad" she only had 2 stitches. I weighed 10.5 when I was born and my mom is a petite woman. She tore but nothing major.
  • Options
    At 36 weeks pregnant baby was measuring big aswell, 8 pounds. Doctor didn't say anything about c-section. All she said is that there will be more doctors around incase something goes wrong.
  • Options
    My baby is predicted to be over 9lb based on ultrasound measurements, there has been no mention of any possible issues regarding this, my midwife told me that nature rarely gives a woman a baby to big for them to birth, so I'm not worried, I know friends who have had larger babies vaginally? I really don't see the issue, big babies are born vaginally every day, your ob shouldn't recomend a section unless it's for a medical reason?
  • Options
    This really irritates me when doctors do this.   It's so unfair to the mama!   Like, why get you all worried and psyched out for potentially nothing?  Those measurements are notoriously wrong so it's absurd for him to even mention c-section yet.   To me it's like making a prediction about a woman's success with breastfeeding based on the size of her breasts.   Ridiculous!   Way more factors at play here and no one really knows till it's go time anyway.   Chin up mama I am sure everything will work out fine!
  • Options
    Doc is not pushing c section just planting a seed it may happen. He said we are definitely going to try a natural birth but just said we are measuring high and my birth canal is normal size. Simply if anyone is going through same thing or has in the past.
  • Options
    My doctor mentioned something similar because of my baby's size but also because his head is measuring large and if his head is too big he may not engage. However, he said its best to try and deliver first and if that doesn't work get a c section. They may induce early for me based on size if I'm dilated and effaced a bit in my own.
  • Options
    griesemer said:

Doc is not pushing c section just planting a seed it may happen. He said we are definitely going to try a natural birth but just said we are measuring high and my birth canal is normal size. Simply if anyone is going through same thing or has in the past.

Ok I assume you mean a VAGINAL birth... All births are natural. 8lb is not a large baby. I have a small frame (5'3" and 110lb pre-pregnancy weight), yet I delivered a 9lb boy vaginally with little issue. Even 9lb while bigger is not huge. You'll be fine.

Also this has been discussed a ton so use the search function to find women with similar experiences.
  • Options

My doctor mentioned something similar because of my baby's size but also because his head is measuring large and if his head is too big he may not engage. However, he said its best to try and deliver first and if that doesn't work get a c section. They may induce early for me based on size if I'm dilated and effaced a bit in my own.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. Good Luck.
  • Options
    I had that concern. I told my doctor if the baby is to big that I want a c-section rather than pushing. High risk doctor - explained there in no way in determining if the baby is going to be to big for me to push unless there is complications.
  • Options
    I was told I could possibly have a 9 pounder with my first. Dr. didn't mention C-section, I delivered vaginally. DS was born 8 lbs 12 oz. It wasn't that bad! I'm 5'2, your body will do what it needs to.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Your doctor CANNOT estimate how much your birth canal will expande until you are in labor and relaxin has "stretched" you out. It js literally impossible. To plan a c section, or even be thinking about it because of a growth estimate is poor etiquette on that doctor and setting you up mentally to think you are not able to do this, you are!
  • Options
    griesemergriesemer member
    edited November 2015
    Your doctor CANNOT estimate how much your birth canal will expande until you are in labor and relaxin has "stretched" you out. It js literally impossible. To plan a c section, or even be thinking about it because of a growth estimate is poor etiquette on that doctor and setting you up mentally to think you are not able to do this, you are!
    Let me be clear here. Doc is not planning it or recommending. He was basically telling us it is going to be a big baby and that this is always a possibility. I think everyone is quick to bash doctors here. I am personally happy that he got us ready in case this situation arises. Anyone else agree?
  • Options
    I had a growth scan at 37+4 that predicted baby at 8 lbs. I was advised that it could be off by a pound or more, and that the biggest baby could possibly get would be 9lbs. My doctor does not do inductions without medical reason before 41 weeks so even if baby is measuring big, it isn't a good reason to induce early. They also said they had the option to offer a C Section if baby is measuring over 10lbs. Honestly, these growth scans are just a predictor and seldom actually right. Don't let a big baby scare you! I'm 5'7" and 212lbs pre pregnancy, doc said I should have no problem delivering a 9 lb baby, so you may not.
    Anniversary
    Pregnancy Ticker

YCSWU
  • Options
    snider4500snider4500 member
    edited November 2015
    Everyone said my baby was in the 99th percentile so I had a c-sections on oct 22, and out came my sweet little 8lb 3oz baby. I wouldn't rush into anything. I also had a c-section due to high blood pressure but they were pushing c-section before that started
  • Options
    My doctor explained that if they induce before you are progressed at all, then you have a higher risk a c section. In my case, at 38w they will do a pelvic exam and a growth scan and let me know what the options are. If I'm not progressed the plan is just wait till baby comes on his own and if he is too big do a c section then.
    @griesemer sounds like your doctor is on the same page.
    I am a FTM so no experience with labor but I am glad my doctor is talking me through what might happen. I really don't want to get a c section, so I am leaning towards induction if they suggest it's a good idea.
  • Options
    My doctor explained that if they induce before you are progressed at all, then you have a higher risk a c section. In my case, at 38w they will do a pelvic exam and a growth scan and let me know what the options are. If I'm not progressed the plan is just wait till baby comes on his own and if he is too big do a c section then. @griesemer sounds like your doctor is on the same page. I am a FTM so no experience with labor but I am glad my doctor is talking me through what might happen. I really don't want to get a c section, so I am leaning towards induction if they suggest it's a good idea.
    Exact same scenario and feelings as us. I agree with you. I feel having an open conversation is beneficial in my case.
  • Options
    While I am glad your doctor has discussed the possibility of labor ending In a C-section, I feel like this is a waste of a post.

Everyone has a chance of their labor ending in c-section . What your post said to me was that you doctor was advising you of a c-section due to baby's size .

I hope you get the labor your hoping for .

• Options
    Only 8.5 lbs and they are worried about it? I'm 5'6 and if my baby makes it to his due date, the are estimating over 12lbs.
  • Options
    @flesher2 that's nuts! My husbands grandfather was 14lbs and they have a couple of 10lb babies in his family. Best of luck for a smooth delivery.